Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare Wheel and fixing kit

Queenie_UK

I want to buy a cheap spare wheel for my S Max, a jack and a spanner thingy to get the wheel nuts on and off.

I have no idea where to start looking or what to look for so I thought I'd ask you guys first.

I've got a 2013 SMax Titanium X Sport.

All replies gratefully received.

Top of your S Max home page, subforums, Ford parts for sale.

• 2 months later...

Just make sure you buy a S Max full size wheel and tyre to suit the Weights on the vehicle. The S Max clocks in at 2505 kegs Gross Vehicke Weight, that means when you have a full load on board with fuel and as a working 7 seater divide that amount by 4 and then allow some more for weight transfer on bends etc and that's what the wheel has to be strong enough for. Check page 39 of the owners manual ( I think from memory) and it states there any other wheel fitment will screw your type approval certification. ANY wheel from Mondeos or other cars are too light and dangerous on an S Max, doesn't matter if they are alloy or steel if they won't carry the weight you run a real risk of your insurance company walking in the event of an accident.

My day job for the last 30 years was developing truck builds and specification to comply with national Construction and use requirements, and since 1994 that meant National type approval on vehicles also. That means the specification that ALL manufacturers have to register for ALL vehicles they sell with EVERY component part ( also those offered as options) complying with a template. Don't get caught in an accident with an odd wheel and tyre that doesn't comply, bad things will happen.

Yes I know all about ". Space saver spare wheels and tyres" and that some firms make cars with different size tyres in the front and back (Mercedes for example) but they did the right way and notified the type approval authorities paying sums of money to get separate type approval and a derogation ( get out of jail card) against complying with Construction and Use regulations ( "vehicles shall have the same size wheel and tyre across an axle ") and Type approval requirements. Buying a used Mondeo wheel from e bay from a guy who says it's ok or listening to your local tyre fitter doesn't seem to carry the same sort of weight in court.