Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Illuminated Gear Knob

andrew43

Found the Gear Knob but still searching for the Door Sills, any other sites than fordpartsuk.com sell genuine ford parts like this?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• carlo

• dannyhilton

• Jonny87

• Focus_ST-3

bit dodgy that wiring on the wrong side of the fuse aren't fuses there for a reason :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yes your completely correct fuses are there for a reason! I certainly would'nt want that type of wiring job on my car! i still can't believe people are struggling to find the GEM unit to wire the gear knob or sills into,must be blind!!!!

2 1W LED Bulbs wont kill the car(famous last words) Its just like you guys adding the illuminated gear nob, thats an extra light and if the footwell bulbs where connected to the courtesy light surley they would share its fuse no?

As said, Im unsure on auto electrics but I cant imagine it to be difficult to get lights to light up with something else?

Ive been in a car with them on all the time/driving and they didnt distract me that much.

But yes, if they where wired into the courtesy light, and I turned the courtesy light to the "on all the time" position with the ignition on, would they light up also?

Thanks

C'mon Jas, you have seen how iv done my ambient lighting even when you switch the courtesy light on by the switch they dont turn on, so if you do the same with the gear stick itl work itl only come on then when you unlock the car and turn it off.

Hi all, are you still looking for the GEM unit to connect the illuminated gear knob to?? if so i can shed light on the location??and will post pictures if required??

OMG YES! I've had my car for nearly a year, and still can't find it, and yes I probably am blind. I know I'm definitely stupid, it took me ages to figure out how to remove the headlights so I'm betting this GEM is right in-front of me isn't it? I've attached a photo of my fuse box (so behind the glove box) if that will help you identify exactly where my GEM is. After looking at it again the other day, I'm still lost! I must be blind!

Any assistance you can provide would be so greatly appreciated, pictures would be AWESOME :)

(BEHIND MY GLOVEBOX, THE GEM IS SUPPOSED TO BE NEXT TO IT)

img1266mq.jpg

just sticking feed wires into fuse points is a no no, they should be scotchlocked or spliced/soldered into the wire at the rear and protected with shrink wrap,i hope you never see smoke.

OMG YES! I've had my car for nearly a year, and still can't find it, and yes I probably am blind. I know I'm definitely stupid, it took me ages to figure out how to remove the headlights so I'm betting this GEM is right in-front of me isn't it? I've attached a photo of my fuse box (so behind the glove box) if that will help you identify exactly where my GEM is. After looking at it again the other day, I'm still lost! I must be blind!

Any assistance you can provide would be so greatly appreciated, pictures would be AWESOME :)

(BEHIND MY GLOVEBOX, THE GEM IS SUPPOSED TO BE NEXT TO IT)

img1266mq.jpg

Hi, now you've taken the glove box down,remove the two pins(one each side holding the glove box onto the facsia)and remove the glove box alltogether.Once this is out of the way then you will have to remove the bottom facsia plate (two pins,pull down to release)you will not be able to remove this completely unless you disconnect the module on the back of the plate,when this is removed(look up from below) there you will see the green conector,blue conector and other white connectors of the GEM unit to which you connect the gear knob. The green connector pins run 1-12 (left to right,top row) and pins 13-24 right to left bottom row you need pin 20.if your still having problems after this i will post photo's.

I hate to say it, but I'm still having problems! Sometimes I think I was dropped repeatedly on my head as a child. I'll give it another go, but if you could post images that would be extremely helpful. Thank you so much for your reply fella, I can't tell you how helpful this is to actually have someone who knows about the GEM Most Ford Dealers in Australia told me it was in the boot of the Fiesta, that the Fiesta didn't have it or that it was under the engine bay, even I'm not that stupid.

Holy hell you wouldn't believe it I found the GEM! It's marked as the Alarm system which is why i never bothered to look at it, but it's definitely it. It's dark now, so I can't continue. But just before it got dark, I did attempt to connect to connect both the Illuminated Door Sills and Illuminated Gear Lever. Well now my Ambient Lighting will not turn off? I just removed the lights and am hoping for the best!

I couldn't connect the Illuminated Door Sills as there are cables in the fuse where it's telling me to put it (will post up pictures soon) and I have no clue where to put the earth for the Illuminated Gear Lever. Pin 20 as indicated on the instruction manual says it's third from the right (on the bottom row) but I put it in where you indicated pin 20 would be and then the Ambient Lighting switched on. I'll remove the Ambient Lighting cable tomorrow and hopefully it'll turn off.

You wouldn't be able to post images would you fella? It'd be massively helpful for me and my novice brain. I'll post up some images from my instruction booklet soon :)

the easiest way to get to the General Electronic Module (GEM) is to kneel out side the passenger door and lean into the passenger footwell of the vehicle.

if you look under the dashboard you will see a plastic cover that is held in place by two clips on the the side nearest the seat in each corner.

pull these clips down towards the floor and then pull the front of the panel downwards

**please be careful as if you car has bluetooth then the module is bolted to the back of the panel your pulling down**

when this panel has been removed, if you look upwards at a diagonal angle you will see a black module mounted to the bulkhead of the car (vertically), it will have several connectors in going into the front face of it. on the right there will be one white one blue and one green and on the left a black a blue and a white

Congratulations, THIS IS THE GEM

You seem quite knowledgeable about the electrics and what not FordPartsMan, Is there any safe way to turn my footwell lights on in connection with the sidelights? So they they can be on when I turn the sidelights on?

Thanks

Jay

Congratulations, THIS IS THE GEM

I've definitely found it! Just gotta figure out how to connect to it now, as the Illuminated Door Dills show two wires going into the connection, on the unit there is only space for one as another wire is present. It's too dark to take photos, but I'll definitely do it tomorrow. Do I need some kind of special connection to put the wire into these modules, or can I just stick the wire inside them and hope it works?

Thanks guys, at least I have finally found it!

You seem quite knowledgeable about the electrics and what not FordPartsMan, Is there any safe way to turn my footwell lights on in connection with the sidelights? So they they can be on when I turn the sidelights on?

Thanks

Jay

personally i would recommend that they are wired independantly as that way they do not HAVE to be on all the time the side lights are on, i'd like the novelty for some time but not all. i would wire them into a seperate switch and relay, directly from the fuse box or the battery. then you just switch them on when you want them on.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk//Fog-Spot-Work-Light-Spots-12v-Wiring-Kit-30-amp-Relay_W0QQitemZ250537308695QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=6ac1a8371250a0aad5815dd1fdde6a01

i would use something along the lines of this as it contains everything you will need, although you make like to choose a more oem like switch

hope this is of some use to you

personally i would recommend that they are wired independantly as that way they do not HAVE to be on all the time the side lights are on, i'd like the novelty for some time but not all. i would wire them into a seperate switch and relay, directly from the fuse box or the battery. then you just switch them on when you want them on.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk//Fog-Spot-Work-Light-Spots-12v-Wiring-Kit-30-amp-Relay_W0QQitemZ250537308695QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=&rvr_id=&cguid=6ac1a8371250a0aad5815dd1fdde6a01

i would use something along the lines of this as it contains everything you will need, although you make like to choose a more oem like switch

hope this is of some use to you

Relay,switch direct to the battery or fusebox,WHAT A LOAD OF !Removed!!!! the footwell lights are carrying such a low current, wattage there's absolutely no need for relays and nonsense like that.Just connect into the loom(side lights wire) at the rear of the light switch on the dash,then when you turn on the side lights your footwell lights will come on.Just make sure all connections are good ie.soldered or crimped and everything will be fine.Besides your side lights are protected by it's own fuse all you are doing is slightly extending this circuit.

Relay,switch direct to the battery or fusebox,WHAT A LOAD OF !Removed!!!! the footwell lights are carrying such a low current, wattage there's absolutely no need for relays and nonsense like that.Just connect into the loom(side lights wire) at the rear of the light switch on the dash,then when you turn on the side lights your footwell lights will come on.Just make sure all connections are good ie.soldered or crimped and everything will be fine.Besides your side lights are protected by it's own fuse all you are doing is slightly extending this circuit.

if you note, i said PERSONALLY, i am not saying this is a must. i would rather not risk a new car and my warranty for the sake of a few lights and also being that the canbus sytem on cars is very sensitive and can be tripped quite easily. what people choose to do is up to them

if you note, i said PERSONALLY, i am not saying this is a must. i would rather not risk a new car and my warranty for the sake of a few lights and also being that the canbus sytem on cars is very sensitive and can be tripped quite easily. what people choose to do is up to them

As soon as you start playing around with anything on a new car like adding footwell lights if they are not already present you VOID your warrenty.And yes I am quite aware of canbus systems on vehicles as I'm am mechanic/auto electrian of thirty years,alot of years working on fords,how many years have you in the trade of selling parts??

As soon as you start playing around with anything on a new car like adding footwell lights if they are not already present you VOID your warrenty.

you will not void your warranty if they are wired in on a seperate circuit. i am not going to get into a big debate about this though.

As soon as you start playing around with anything on a new car like adding footwell lights if they are not already present you VOID your warrenty

No you dont. As i said, my solution for wiring the gear knob was not ideal but it works and 18 months on my car hasnt self-destructed yet :P

No you dont. As i said, my solution for wiring the gear knob was not ideal but it works and 18 months on my car hasnt self-destructed yet :P

That's fine that your pride and joy hasn't dissapeared in a puff of smoke,but take your car to a dealer with any major fault and i'm almost certain if they see the wireing job they will almost certainly try to release themselves from there warranty responsibilty!If ford void warranties because genuine ford parts arn't used by independent garages like mine they will certainly if they know you've tinkered with the wiring circuits. But hay Ho you young lad's seem to know best!!

But hay Ho you young lad's seem to know best!!

Dont think age really comes into it, its more the poor instruction manual for the illuminated gear knob. Ive wired up a separate fuse for the gearknob anyway so there shouldnt be a problem. It is, at the end of the day, my car, not Ford's. I was only trying to be helpful with my photos :)

Dont think age really comes into it, its more the poor instruction manual for the illuminated gear knob. Ive wired up a separate fuse for the gearknob anyway so there shouldnt be a problem. It is, at the end of the day, my car, not Ford's. I was only trying to be helpful with my photos :)

Yes i understand that and if your happy that's all that matters!

I don't have thirty years of experiance but as far as i read he was suggesting a way to turn them on and off independant of the sidelights...

I don't have thirty years of experiance but as far as i read he was suggesting a way to turn them on and off independant of the sidelights...

Yes your correct but why cause yourself all that work when it's not needed, snip of one wire,solder and heat shrink job done protected by the sidelight fuse! simples as the meerkat say's

Well I figured out yesterday that the wires on the gear knob have come apart, so I need to fix that before I fit anything else. Am going to take it to the Ford dealer and ask them to fit it, either that or an auto electrician and when I do I'll post up a guide on how to do it so we can hit this stupid GEM on the head once and for all!

Ford Parts man and Carlo. Thanks for your input, it was much appreciated and the best info ive had thus far. I was suggesting the sidelights and what not as a simple solution. But if its relativly easy to independantly hook them up then I would be much happier with that.

Would it be a difficult job for a complete electriction novice(I did some soldering/circuit work in school...5 years+ ago) Or for peace of mind should I get someone else to do it?

Thanks

(and sorry for making this thread two threads, just you guys where talking about something slightly relevant ;) )

Jay

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club