Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk3 1.6 Tdci - New Steering rack - Does it need updating or reprogramming?

Superted87

Hi Guys and Gals,\

I had the dreaded "steering assist malfunction" on my 2011 Mk3 1.6 Tdci with the EPAS steering and I sourced a second hand rack from a known good source and fitted it. The power assist light went off immediately and there is definitely some sort of assistance happening now but like my GF says, its a bit like driving through soup at the moment. 

The steering is adequate but not smooth or anything like my VW caddy van which is so light that when i jump in my Focus I feel like I am driving a Sherman tank !! 

Should I have had my PSCM re coded/ programmed/ updated as I changed the rack over ? Would I get these symptoms if the unit was not coded/programmed properly? The car tracks all over the place even after I had full alignment check done and tyre pressure etc all checked. I have been told that my steering angle sensor may be contributing but I am not sure as I do not know this car very well at all tbh. 

Any help would be gratefully received, I am showing no error messages however I can not interrogate any further than my ELM327 allows at home. I have access to a good auto electrician but cost is always the issue so advice before spending money would be great. 

Thanks in advance 

• 2 weeks later...

Does the car have steering options? Comfort, sport. Standard?

With elmconfig you should be able to see how much assistance is given at set rpms which could be corrupt or completely different. You could try connecting your old module up saving the settings using elmconfig and write them to new module. 

However the modules don't need programming as long as they are from the same model car and trim. If it's from a different trim level you do have alloy sizes etc that can make a difference.

awesome, thankyou, i really like driving it on the motorway so this makes sense as the assistance is proportional. If the rack was from a slightly different car then this may be the problem. I am 100% it was a Focus 3, but the trim level I cant confirm so it looks like a trip to my friendly ford tech ! 

Cheers

Did the new steering rack have the same part numbers as the old one? There are several different EPAS steering racks available for the Focus MK3. These may not all be interchangeable.

Did you already reset all learned values of the steering rack? The previously learned pull drift compensation values for example can hugely affect the steering. Especially when the steering rack came out a different vehicle all learned values should be reset.

Next to this early EPAS steering racks can cause problems. Vague steering or a vague feeling at the middle position is a known problem. Many early steering racks were replaced for this problem.

• Like 1

Hi, yeah the number is the exact same and was on a car with very few miles on it when it was rear end write off. I will get it cleared of all values and make sure the PSCM is up to date etc. I will let you all know how I get on when I have a few days off at the end of the week. Until then, the company van will be getting abused ! 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi Superted ( and anyone else who has had the misfortune of having to deal with this crazy problem! )

Can you give me a few pointers as to what is involved in changing over the EPAS on the mk3 Focus ? 

Is it a diy job. I am not shy of getting grubby and have worked on many cars over the years but need this issue fixing ASAP and am very up for saving a few £ on labour costs.

I have read somewhere that the subframe needs to be dropped but would like some clarification before I decide which route to take on ours which has failed completely today!!

Cheers

yep, subframe needs lowering down by 130mm . you will need some subframe alignment pegs when re fitting

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club