Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Coming back to Ford

welshfocus78

Hello all,

i currently have Golf 2010 and having few issues with it and it's diesel which is not suitable for short runs. I'm looking to buy focus 1.6 Zetec petrol auto. It feels a bit downgrade for me. 

Anyone have auto 1.6 zetec and what's it like to drive? Especially with the automatic and the pulling power on roundabout etc.

Jeff 

I use to have a 1.6 auto 63 plate Fiesta and it had plenty of pulling power and was an absolute joy to drive, I know the focus is a bit heavier but I wouldn't expect to have any issues.

what sort of age focus are you talking about? are you talking about a Powershift gearbox (which is not a traditional hydraulic automatic)

41 minutes ago, welshfocus78 said:

Hello all,

i currently have Golf 2010 and having few issues with it and it's diesel which is not suitable for short runs. I'm looking to buy focus 1.6 Zetec petrol auto. It feels a bit downgrade for me. 

Anyone have auto 1.6 zetec and what's it like to drive? Especially with the automatic and the pulling power on roundabout etc.

Jeff 

I have one, what year are we talking about?

Mine is a 2009 (with the 4 speed torque converter gearbox) - although it's far from fast, it is very nippy around town, so you can pull out quite quick from roundabouts. At higher speeds, it's not as nippy, but if you aren't afraid of putting your foot down, you can still overtake even fast moving traffic.

It's been rock solid reliable though (knock wood). Handles like a beaut too - extremely fun to chuck around B roads. All in all very happy with mine.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Incontro said:

I have one, what year are we talking about?

Mine is a 2009 (with the 4 speed torque converter gearbox) - although it's far from fast, it is very nippy around town, so you can pull out quite quick from roundabouts. At higher speeds, it's not as nippy, but if you aren't afraid of putting your foot down, you can still overtake even fast moving traffic.

It's been rock solid reliable though (knock wood). Handles like a beaut too - extremely fun to chuck around B roads. All in all very happy with mine.

Hi thanks it's 2010 I should have said sorry! 

Hi. Since getting my 1.6 auto, I have been utterly confused as to what engine I've got. Ford Etis says I've got a 2010 1.6L Duratec 16v PFI (100ps) Sigma. Wiki then throws the spanner in the works (so to speak) telling me that one (Zetec) was developed from the other or something. Anyway FWIW I have a 1.6 (as above, Zetec derived or not) 4 speed auto and I love it. I have always been a fan of automatics; all that flapping about of arms and legs to get a motor from A to B just seems so antiquated somehow! :wink: That said, I have over the years driven more manuals that autos though.

Anyway, as said, I love mine. I've read elsewhere on here that technically it's a 3 speed + overdrive box :unsure: but, to use a motoring journo's well-worn cliché, it behaves smoothly and without drama. It's not as clever or as smooth as the 5 speed Jatco Tiptronic in my sadly-departed mk3 Mondeo '54 plate 2L TDCi despite being a much newer car. It can occasionally get caught out where a sudden change is needed, for example on a road I regularly travel, where a downhill, a bend at the bottom followed a steep uphill with a bend at the top can sometimes catch it in the wrong gear but flipping it into manual for a quick(er) change often helps things along. Kickdown works but don't expect any excitement... Mostly though I let it do its 'thang' in its own sweet way. Left to its own devices gear changes mostly happen virtually unnoticed and at the right time. As Incontro says above, it's nippy around town and is quick off the mark at roundabouts. It'll cruise happily at legal speeds and beyond (I'm told :wink:) but getting past that middle-lane hog can require some forethought when in competition with the perpetually impatient Audi/Merc/BMW outside lane jacket-on-a-hanger monopoly. Most of my driving is local rural and I average about 37 mpg.

I'm not, at 65, a boy racer (and the bathos/pathos of mid-life crisis is ancient history) but neither am I an archetypal old man driver (I hope!) My 1.6L Whatever its denomination gets me about smoothly and relatively quietly with gentle oomph available via kickdown or manual selection.

To repeat myself, and as an OAP I'm allowed to, I love mine. I don't think you'll be disappointed

• Like 3

I have the Zetec 1.6 automatic, very happy with it, as said before can't be doing with all that messing about with a gear lever.

Quiet nippy but trying to overtake at times requires a bit of forethought as the kick down is not all that impressive.

Uses a fair bit of juice driving around town.

To quote Adrian, I am also an OAP, 82 young so my days of a boy racer have long gone. 

Yes I love my Focus.

• Like 2

On 27/01/2017 at 7:09 PM, welshfocus78 said:

Hello all,

Jeff 

Although the interior in your Golf may feel a little more premium than the Focus, take a Focus out for a thrash on some windy roads and you'll soon 'feel' the difference in terms of steering feedback, cornering grip etc.

• Like 3

I finally got ford focus... its Ford Focus zetec 100 (not sure what 100 is reference to)

So far all seems to be good. I need to buy new mats. Any recommendations?

Will give it a good clean tomorrow if the weather allows me to do so :)

The car doesn't have manual anyone have a link for me to download one? The car have rear sensor. I am Deaf and cannot hear the alerts. Is there anyway I can add aftermarket visual indicator?

Many thanks

4 minutes ago, welshfocus78 said:

I finally got ford focus... its Ford Focus zetec 100 (not sure what 100 is reference to)

The car doesn't have manual anyone have a link for me to download one? The car have rear sensor. I am Deaf and cannot hear the alerts. Is there anyway I can add aftermarket visual indicator?

Many thanks

Congrats on the new car, hope it brings you many miles of trouble free motoring. If you treat it well, I'm sure it will! :)

I assume you bought the auto?

At least being an N/A petrol, it has no turbo lag :)

1 minute ago, Incontro said:

Congrats on the new car, hope it brings you many miles of trouble free motoring. If you treat it well, I'm sure it will! :)

I assume you bought the auto?

At least being an N/A petrol, it has no turbo lag :)

Yep petrol auto :) 

10 hours ago, trailertrash said:

Hi. Since getting my 1.6 auto, I have been utterly confused as to what engine I've got. Ford Etis says I've got a 2010 1.6L Duratec 16v PFI (100ps) Sigma. Wiki then throws the spanner in the works (so to speak) telling me that one (Zetec) was developed from the other or something. Anyway FWIW I have a 1.6 (as above, Zetec derived or not) 4 speed auto and I love it. I have always been a fan of automatics; all that flapping about of arms and legs to get a motor from A to B just seems so antiquated somehow! :wink: That said, I have over the years driven more manuals that autos though.

Anyway, as said, I love mine. I've read elsewhere on here that technically it's a 3 speed + overdrive box :unsure: but, to use a motoring journo's well-worn cliché, it behaves smoothly and without drama. It's not as clever or as smooth as the 5 speed Jatco Tiptronic in my sadly-departed mk3 Mondeo '54 plate 2L TDCi despite being a much newer car. It can occasionally get caught out where a sudden change is needed, for example on a road I regularly travel, where a downhill, a bend at the bottom followed a steep uphill with a bend at the top can sometimes catch it in the wrong gear but flipping it into manual for a quick(er) change often helps things along. Kickdown works but don't expect any excitement... Mostly though I let it do its 'thang' in its own sweet way. Left to its own devices gear changes mostly happen virtually unnoticed and at the right time. As Incontro says above, it's nippy around town and is quick off the mark at roundabouts. It'll cruise happily at legal speeds and beyond (I'm told :wink:) but getting past that middle-lane hog can require some forethought when in competition with the perpetually impatient Audi/Merc/BMW outside lane jacket-on-a-hanger monopoly. Most of my driving is local rural and I average about 37 mpg.

I'm not, at 65, a boy racer (and the bathos/pathos of mid-life crisis is ancient history) but neither am I an archetypal old man driver (I hope!) My 1.6L Whatever its denomination gets me about smoothly and relatively quietly with gentle oomph available via kickdown or manual selection.

To repeat myself, and as an OAP I'm allowed to, I love mine. I don't think you'll be disappointed

ETIS is correct about the engine, both of our cars have the Duratec version of the Sigma (engine). Zetec was an older version of the Sigma engine, and isn't found in the Mk2 Focus. It featured in the Mk1 Focus. Both produce the same amount of horsepower, but the Duratec has 5Nm more torque, and presumably a better tune / lower emissions.

For the second part, that was probably me. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, welshfocus78 said:

Many thanks

I'd assume the 100 is either PS or BHP.

As for a manual take a look on here.

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Owners-Manual

• Like 1

Try these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Genuine-FORD-FOCUS-MK2-2005-2010-Set-of-4-Tailored-Carpet-Car-Floor-Mat-Set-/331675200595?hash=item4d3961ec53:g:G5UAAOSwKIpWFPZt

Glad you like it, make sure you do an engine oil and filter change unless you're sure one has been done recently

11 hours ago, Incontro said:

ETIS is correct about the engine, both of our cars have the Duratec version of the Sigma (engine). Zetec was an older version of the Sigma engine, and isn't found in the Mk2 Focus. It featured in the Mk1 Focus. Both produce the same amount of horsepower, but the Duratec has 5Nm more torque, and presumably a better tune / lower emissions.

For the second part, that was probably me. :)

Thanks for the clarification Mr Duck, my understanding is that this engine is of old design but solid and reliable if a tad noisy.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

Thanks for the clarification Mr Duck, my understanding is that this engine is of old design but solid and reliable if a tad noisy.

Exactly :smile:

Still, much quieter than the vast majority of diesels. And no DPF/turbo issues to deal with either! 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

Try these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Genuine-FORD-FOCUS-MK2-2005-2010-Set-of-4-Tailored-Carpet-Car-Floor-Mat-Set-/331675200595?hash=item4d3961ec53:g:G5UAAOSwKIpWFPZt

Glad you like it, make sure you do an engine oil and filter change unless you're sure one has been done recently

Thanks! I'm wondering if rubber mat would be better.

i can see it has been serviced 3,000 miles a go but doesn't say if it's a full service. May take it in for full service anyhow and ask them to give it a good look over.

6 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Exactly :smile:

Still, much quieter than the vast majority of diesels. And no DPF/turbo issues to deal with either! 

This is why I went for petrol. I didn't know about DPF until I brought the golf :( expensive lesson learnt. 

Thanks guys...

anyone have a link to audio manual as I tried to find it and keep finding the old model.  I wanted to see how my partner can connect his iPhone through bluetooth as it have telephone symbol.

1 hour ago, welshfocus78 said:

Thanks guys...

anyone have a link to audio manual as I tried to find it and keep finding the old model.  I wanted to see how my partner can connect his iPhone through Bluetooth as it have telephone symbol.

The chances are you haven't got active bluetooth despite the phone symbol. If the radio mutes when you press the phone symbol=no bluetooth. Put your reg/vin into:

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

which will give you the specs of your car as it left the factory. It's not always right apparently but it's unlikely to be wrong about bluetooth. My understanding is that it was only fitted as standard to TitaniumX cars 'though I might be wrong. I'll post a link to the audio manual if I find it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

The chances are you haven't got active bluetooth despite the phone symbol. If the radio mutes when you press the phone symbol=no bluetooth. Put your reg/vin into:

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

which will give you the specs of your car as it left the factory. It's not always right apparently but it's unlikely to be wrong about bluetooth. My understanding is that it was only fitted as standard to TitaniumX cars 'though I might be wrong. I'll post a link to the audio manual if I find it.

AFAIK I'm pretty sure this is spot-on correct.

You can buy a separate add-on bluetooth module, that connects to the AUX port, and can sit in the glovebox. There is even a Ford part lying around somewhere, but someone else might be able to advise better...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, welshfocus78 said:

Thanks! I'm wondering if rubber mat would be better.

i can see it has been serviced 3,000 miles a go but doesn't say if it's a full service. May take it in for full service anyhow and ask them to give it a good look over.

These people:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/AutoAccessorizeShop/Ford-Focus-MK2-2004-On-/_i.html?_fsub=957307010&_sid=313647790&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

stock a huge range of genuine Ford, and other makes' spares. They do rubber 2 mat:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Genuine-Ford-Focus-MK2-2005-2011-FRONT-Tailored-Fit-Rubber-Floor-Mats-Set-/120495289076?hash=item1c0e1432f4

and 4 mat sets:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Genuine-set-4-Ford-Focus-MK2-2005-2011-Rubber-Floor-Mats-Tailored-Fit-/120412458877?hash=item1c09244f7d

for your car, and loads of other stuff.

If the service book has a service stamp from a Ford or other reputable service centre 3k miles ago that should have included an oil change. If you call/email with the date of the stamp and reg no. they should be able to tell you. Pulling the dipstick and checking that the oil is clean(ish) will give some idea - it should still look clean and clear after only 3k miles (for a petrol engine that is - a diesel's oil goes black almost as soon as the engine is started after a change!) Did you get any invoices with the car that might give a clue?

Re a visual alert for the parking sensor I've found this: http://www.fastfitnationwide.co.uk/car-reversing-aids-c-34.html

which if you scroll down shows various visible warning locations for their part A0027. Whether they can be fitted aftermarket to Ford's system is another matter...

Good luck

3 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

Thank you so much! I prefer rubber as I live in South Wales and it is wet most of the time :)

3 minutes ago, trailertrash said:

If the service book has a service stamp from a Ford or other reputable service centre 3k miles ago that should have included an oil change. If you call/email with the date of the stamp and reg no. they should be able to tell you. Pulling the dipstick and checking that the oil is clean(ish) will give some idea - it should still look clean and clear after only 3k miles (for a petrol engine that is - a diesel's oil goes black almost as soon as the engine is started after a change!) Did you get any invoices with the car that might give a clue?

Re a visual alert for the parking sensor I've found this: http://www.fastfitnationwide.co.uk/car-reversing-aids-c-34.html

which if you scroll down shows various visible warning locations for their part A0027. Whether they can be fitted aftermarket to Ford's system is another matter...

Good luck

it was done by Halford. Can't do the dip test at the moment as it's raining. Will do it when it stop raining. May take it to ford garage (not sure if Evans Halshaw service any good or best to use ford's service unless both are the same for peace of mind.