Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mondeo 57 engine dead but headlights come on

Nick M

Good morning all newbie here

I have a Mondeo 57 plate which is still in a mechanics garage.I had a new bonnet catch cable fitted last week and in the process of fitting it he removed the passenger footwell fusebox (without first disconnecting the battery)When the cable was fitted and everything put back together and I tried to start the car all the normal lights come on radio , glow plugs etc but when I turn the key to start it , the engine is dead and the headlights come on .The mechanic has tried and rung everyone he knows all to no avail so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Nick

• Like 1

Hi Welcome

Have you tried the fuel cut off switch could be in the passage or driver foot well best to Google it

If you can’t find it I am not sure if the diesel has one

I have a Mondeo 57 plate...

Hi and welcome. I don't know if you realise but you've landed on the Focus forum. Some here may be familiar with the mk4 Mondeo but you'll reach a wider pool of expertise either in the Mondeo forum here:

http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/forum/13-ford-mondeo-vignale-club/

or this more active Mondeo forum on a different site:

http://www.talkford.com/community/forum/96-ford-mondeo-mk4-2007-2013/

Sorry I can't be more help but hopefully you'll find it on one of the above links.

Good luck

Edit: As I'm sure you'll be advised, ultimately it's the mechanic's responsibility. The car worked before, it doesn't now.

He broke it, he fixes it

Edited by trailertrash
  • Like 3

Check to see if the fuel pump relay is okay or just replace it see how you get on.

Sounds like something didn't like getting disconnected - May be worth getting a code reader to see if it flags up any codes or issues.

I take it all the fuses has been checked

The fuel cut off is only on petrol models, as you mention glow plugs I'm deducting that yours is a diesel

Hello all

Thanks for all the replies, I may have got the description of the fault slightly wrong the headlights (and rear lights) are on in position two of turning the key and when turning to start they go off.

In answer to the replies all fuses etc have been checked and earth points on both door sills checked and cleaned , I will check the fuel relay today ,the car is going to another auto electrician today so fingers crossed 

Thanks again for your help

7 hours ago, mick85 said:

Does red light flash on ur dash does starter motor turn over

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

Hi 

No the red light does not flash and no the engine does not turn over

Good Morning all

I`m pleased to say the car is back running, the problem was a wiring loom that ran up towards the bulkhead under the carpet and trim to a connector that had disconnected slightly whilst the new bonnet cable was being fed through.The mechanic noticed a slight gap in the connection , pressed it together there was a definite click and hey presto the car started.

Thanks again for all your help

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club