Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK1 ABS & T/C Lights On

jmurray01

Whilst driving back from work tonight both the ABS and T/C lights illuminated as I was driving at around 50MPH, not braking or accelerating, just maintaining a steady speed.

I have no experience with traction control, but normally with ABS the light comes on when it detects a fault and stays on for the duration of the drive.  However, when you turn the engine off and restart the light goes out and won't come on again until another fault is detected. 

That said, the lights both stayed on even after turning off and restarting more than once. 

Does this mean there is a constant fault being detected thus keeping them on all the time, or that the lights are similar to the engine check light which needs to be manually reset after it illuminates?  If the former, what could the issue be, and if the latter how do I reset it?

Just a thought, would disconnecting the battery reset the lights, or are they permanently stored in the ECU until reset?

The abs sensor on my mk1 came on due to damage when changing the pads had to spend £60 to replace the sensor and wire I was suprised how expensive it was!

9 hours ago, MrRedman said:

The abs sensor on my mk1 came on due to damage when changing the pads had to spend £60 to replace the sensor and wire I was suprised how expensive it was!

Crikey moses!!  Lets hope it isn't as expensive as that for me.  Would the ABS sensor also disable the T/C though?  I'm thinking it could be a speed sensor, but in all honesty I don't know how the whole system works so can't say for sure.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club