Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Suddenly losing power

DomBurf

I have a 06 plate Ford Focus 1.6 petrol Zetec. I've had it a year and it's been great so far, no problems at all.

A month ago whilst driving it all the warning lights on the dash came on for a few seconds, then all went out again. Afterwards the car seemed to have lost power. Although it was still driveable, there was little power when accelerating. When I got home I checked everything over and all seemed okay. I got back in the in the car and it looked like the problem had disappeared. But then exactly the same thing happened a few days later. All the warning lights come on, then loss of power. When I stop the car and restart the problem disappears. 

It's done this a few times now. It's very intermittent. Maybe two / three times a week. Any ideas what the problem is? I've never had a problem like this with any of my previous cars.

Just check there's no water in where the sparkplugs are first 

• Like 2

I may take the car in for a full service and see if that solves the problem. It's due for a service anyway. 

4 hours ago, MrRedman said:

Just check there's no water in where the sparkplugs are first 

Deffo check for this, mine just needed some Silicone Grease around the washer jets. You'll usually find it's worse when the engine warms up and the water turns to steam and gets in the connection between the leads and plugs.

Could also be faulty Coilpack wiring. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DomBurf said:

I have a 06 plate Ford Focus 1.6 petrol Zetec. I've had it a year and it's been great so far, no problems at all.

A month ago whilst driving it all the warning lights on the dash came on for a few seconds, then all went out again. Afterwards the car seemed to have lost power. Although it was still driveable, there was little power when accelerating. When I got home I checked everything over and all seemed okay. I got back in the in the car and it looked like the problem had disappeared. But then exactly the same thing happened a few days later. All the warning lights come on, then loss of power. When I stop the car and restart the problem disappears. 

It's done this a few times now. It's very intermittent. Maybe two / three times a week. Any ideas what the problem is? I've never had a problem like this with any of my previous cars.

Could the loss of power be the car going into limp mode?  I had the engine malfunction light on recently and lost power.  Restarted and everything was fine.

3 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Could the loss of power be the car going into limp mode?  I had the engine malfunction light on recently and lost power.  Restarted and everything was fine.

This may be another mass air flow issue, i was getting engine malfunction issue and really poor power, disconnected mass air flow plug and back to normal, try it and if runs fine its that

15 hours ago, Albert27 said:

What is limp mode? I haven't heard of that before. 

7 hours ago, DomBurf said:

What is limp mode? I haven't heard of that before. 

From what I understand, limp mode is when the engine restricts itself in some way when it detects a fault to prevent damage. It's like a safety mechanism i guess.  Somebody else on here could probably give you a better technical definition than me........

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

Limp mode is a security function for your engine and transmission. ... The limp mode does often reduce the power and limit the RPM of the engine so you can drive your car to a workshop without damaging the engine.

edit: just realised this post is 2 years old lol

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, F0CUE said:

Limp mode is a security function for your engine and transmission. ... The limp mode does often reduce the power and limit the RPM of the engine so you can drive your car to a workshop without damaging the engine.

edit: just realised this post is 2 years old lol

Ah well shows you've been reading up! Knowledge is power and all that.....

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club