Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cracked Windscreen

VagaBong

Got up this morning and car was frozen.  Threw some hot water on the windscreen as I was in a rush, and bang, the windscreen ran a crack along the bottom of the screen!.

Can't believe it.  My dad used to always do  this when I was a kid.

Have I done something wrong, or is the glass not able for it anymore?

• Like 1

how hot was the water I do mine but only Luke warm side windows only as I have heated front and rear

• Like 1

Should never throw hot water on a windscreen.

The sudden temperature change causes a rapid expansion in the glass, usually unevenly and so it cracks.

Don't you have the quick clear windscreen on your car?

Even "cold" tap water can be significantly higher in temperature than the glass depending on the outside temperature, plus using it on the side windows it usually finds it way in to gaps and seals and the next day the door won't open.

I just whack my quick clear on and scrape the side windows, before I've finished that the front and back are done.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

The sudden temperature change cause a rapid expansion in the glass, usually unevenly and so it cracks.

Even "cold" tap water can be significantly higher in temperature than the glass depending on the outside temperature, plus using it on the side windows it usually finds it way in to gaps and seals and the next day the door won't open.

I just whack my quick clear on and scrape the side windows, before I've finished that the front and back are done.

Think I will be doing that from now on :smile:

This is basically what you are doing, but in the opposite direction:

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

This is basically what you are doing, but in the opposite direction:

S--- wont be doing that again:ohmy:

• Like 1

I have only done this a few times with almost cold water on the previous Focus which lacked Quick Clear and that was in desparate situations.  I'd never do it on a car that I care about or where an alternative (such as Quick Clear or simply starting the engine and letting it defrost naturally) is available.  It is asking for trouble and will eventually result in the windscreen cracking as it has in this case.  It is especially dangerous if you already have a chipped windscreen, as that will crack a lot easier.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alexp999 said:

The sudden temperature change causes a rapid expansion in the glass, usually unevenly and so it cracks.

Same here, and on vehicles without Quick Clear I start the engine and turn the fan on full blast on the hottest setting directing the air to the windscreen.  As the engine gradually warms up the air becomes hotter at a steady rate so as to defrost the glasss without any risk of cracking.  Quick Clear is the best though, as it works in 2-3 minutes as opposed to the traditional method of the fan which can take 10-15. 

Still, waiting 15 minutes for it to defrost is better than spending (at least) £75 insurance excess on a new windscreen.

2 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

Same here, and on vehicles without Quick Clear I start the engine and turn the fan on full blast on the hottest setting directing the air to the windscreen.  As the engine gradually warms up the air becomes hotter at a steady rate so as to defrost the glasss without any risk of cracking.  Quick Clear is the best though, as it works in 2-3 minutes as opposed to the traditional method of the fan which can take 10-15. 

Still, waiting 15 minutes for it to defrost is better than spending (at least) £75 insurance excess on a new windscreen.

Waiting 15 minutes is also better than exiting outside and manually scraping the ice off in the freezing cold :)

19 minutes ago, Incontro said:

Waiting 15 minutes is also better than exiting outside and manually scraping the ice off in the freezing cold :)

Indeed it is, plus it means you are getting into a warm cabin as opposed to feeling like you are driving a freezer for the first few miles.

• Like 1

option b. coat glass with synthetic sealant which stops frost bonding to windows and just slides off.

i'll leave you guys to your ice scrapers and warm water jugs........

#smug grin.

;-)

• Like 4

15 hours ago, biff55 said:

option b. coat glass with synthetic sealant which stops frost bonding to windows and just slides off.

i'll leave you guys to your ice scrapers and warm water jugs........

#smug grin.

;-)

I've never even heard of that, how long does it last? Closest we use is spray on pre-icer the night before, but that becomes a chore with consecutive freezing nights.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pullock said:

I've never even heard of that, how long does it last? Closest we use is spray on pre-icer the night before, but that becomes a chore with consecutive freezing nights.

4-6 weeks

c4d9fb41324e22770742be627289f0fb_open.jpg

buy it , apply it , never buy a can of de-icer ever again.

£12 a bottle , which should last about 2 years.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, biff55 said:

4-6 weeks

c4d9fb41324e22770742be627289f0fb_open.jpg

buy it , apply it , never buy a can of de-icer ever again.

£12 a bottle , which should last about 2 years.

Thanks, sounds pretty good, certainly worth trying.

I'm sorry but genuinely thought this was a joke post.

That repellant sounds interesting. Does it make the screen greasy at all, does rain head off it like it would with rainX? Where in the world are you, there seems to be members in every corner and I never know who is in the UK or elsewhere, not that it matters of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

i use kleen freaks glass cleaner and water repellant on my glass and has same effect on frosty mornings

• Like 2

Thanks for all the feedback lads.  I feel like a right idiot now.  There should be a fools guide for first time car owners so we don't stumble into all the stupid mistakes.
Found a few windscreen tips online:  https://www.greasemonkeydirect.com/blogs/news/5-ways-to-defrost-your-windscreen-in-the-morning
Biff55's idea of using a synthetic sealant sounds great.  Is it effective?

7 minutes ago, VagaBong said:

Thanks for all the feedback lads.  I feel like a right idiot now.  There should be a fools guide for first time car owners so we don't stumble into all the stupid mistakes.
Found a few windscreen tips online:  https://www.greasemonkeydirect.com/blogs/news/5-ways-to-defrost-your-windscreen-in-the-morning
Biff55's idea of using a synthetic sealant sounds great.  Is it effective?

I bought some and it has helped with water so far, need to wait for it to freeze to find out with ice, but all good so far.

Never done the kettle thing on any car I've owned.  Sealant looks interesting, but now that I've got it, just use the quick clear function it works a treat.

Just need it to be a little colder so I can actually use it lol.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club