Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dash board lights - possible power/electrical problem?!

joeyjameslewis

Hello everyone, I wondered if anyone could help...

I have a Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 TDCi - 58 Reg.

Last night, the red battery light came on on my dash when I was driving to the gym. I went to the gym, came out and the car started fine but light remained on. 

This morning, I started the car and the battery (red), ABS (amber) and the Slip Indicator/Stability Control Fault Indicator (red) lights were on.

The stereo also made a loud humming/buzzing sound depending how loud the volume was turned up, so I turned it down and turned the car off then jumped on the bus to work! 

Any ideas what this might be? The battery died in November and I replaced it with a brand new one... Alternator or ECU maybe?
I will also add that the cigarette lighter is always powered, I have to unplug my dash cam every time I turn the car off otherwise it will stay powered on through the cigarette lighter - not sure if this is linked. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Happy Friday! 

Your options are getting the battery tested. From Halfords or any other store.

Next you need to find out if when you replaced the battery you used the correct type. You need it to be a silver calcium battery. What make battery is it you are using?

Lastly get codes read, it would narrow down if this is gem module issue, ic etc. 

• Like 1

If you haven't got a multimeter or voltage tester, jump in your car and hold down the button on the end of the indicator stalk with the ignition off. Then turn the key to 2 whilst holding the button. It should show up "TEST" or similar in the dashboard - let go of the button and pressing it will cycle through the options, one of which is the battery voltage.

Sounds very much battery or alternator. The noise on the radio may very well be noise from the alternator that would normally be filtered by the battery (which isn't working properly).

23 hours ago, joeyjameslewis said:

Hello everyone, I wondered if anyone could help...

I have a Focus Mk2.5 Titanium 1.8 TDCi - 58 Reg.

Last night, the red battery light came on on my dash when I was driving to the gym. I went to the gym, came out and the car started fine but light remained on. 

This morning, I started the car and the battery (red), ABS (amber) and the Slip Indicator/Stability Control Fault Indicator (red) lights were on.

The stereo also made a loud humming/buzzing sound depending how loud the volume was turned up, so I turned it down and turned the car off then jumped on the bus to work! 

Any ideas what this might be? The battery died in November and I replaced it with a brand new one... Alternator or ECU maybe?
I will also add that the cigarette lighter is always powered, I have to unplug my dash cam every time I turn the car off otherwise it will stay powered on through the cigarette lighter - not sure if this is linked. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Happy Friday! 

I had those lights come on just prior to my battery and alternator failing.  You can get a voltmeter for about £8 to check it.  Checking the battery is pretty straightforward (red to positive terminal, black to negative). Leave at least 6 hours since last start to get rid of any surface charge. Readings over 12.4 is what you want.  12.2 - 12.4 is partially discharged.  To check the alternator you need to start that car and then do the above on the battery. Switch on lights, wipers, air con and if it's working right you should get a reading of 13.5 - 14.8 volts.

Thanks for your help guys! 

I got the AA to come take a look and they couldn't find the fault so towed me to my local garage.

The battery was completely dead and wouldn't retain charge - weird as it was new in September 2016! 

The alternator is also knackered and needs replacing. 

£430 bill later, hopefully she will be back on the road this week!

• Like 1

As mentioned early, make sure the correct type of battery is fitted.  If a 'regular' lead acid battery is fitted, the SmartCharge system will boil it over time and you'll have another dead battery.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joeyjameslewis said:

Thanks for your help guys! 

I got the AA to come take a look and they couldn't find the fault so towed me to my local garage.

The battery was completely dead and wouldn't retain charge - weird as it was new in September 2016! 

The alternator is also knackered and needs replacing. 

£430 bill later, hopefully she will be back on the road this week!

Glad you got it sorted!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club