Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Fuel Consumption

Jamesb9811

Hello, I got a 1.25 Fiesta zetec a week ago and I seem to only be averaging around 29-32 mpg. I don't drive harshly and don't understand why it would be that low. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you. 

there are many factors that affect mpg. if your doing short journies in heavy traffic it probably not far off

Make sure you have reset the MPG in your trip computer as if your car is second hand it could still be going off the average of the previous owner, if you want better MPG perhaps take the car back while you still can and get the 1.0 litre ecoboost not only does it have better economy it also is much quicker.

1 hour ago, Jamesb9811 said:

Hello, I got a 1.25 Fiesta zetec a week ago and I seem to only be averaging around 29-32 mpg. I don't drive harshly and don't understand why it would be that low. Any advice would be appreciated, thank you. 

I use to have a 1.6 powershift zetec and that's pretty much what I got with 99% of my journeys being around town.

To be fair I've been doing mostly town driving in stop start traffic so I shouldn't be expecting anything amazing, I think because this is my first car I'm still getting used to things 

I'm very happy with the car though, 15 plate with just over 9000 miles and it's in midnight sky and is a 3 door which was what drew me it. I know the 1.0 ecoboost is a much better engine than the 1.25 but the 1.25 isn't too bad. 

16 minutes ago, Jamesb9811 said:

To be fair I've been doing mostly town driving in stop start traffic so I shouldn't be expecting anything amazing, I think because this is my first car I'm still getting used to things 

In that case 29-32mpg sounds about right then.

Cold weather won't be helping the mpg either.

I have a 1.25 Zetec as a courtesy car at the moment.  Seems to be doing around 35mpg and I'd say it's marginally more economic than my EcoBoost 1.0 125.  This surprised me to be honest.  I think part of the EcoBoost's problem is that it takes ages to get to optimum operating temperature.  The 1.25 seems to warm up pretty quickly in comparison.

1 hour ago, GaryPL said:

I have a 1.25 Zetec as a courtesy car at the moment.  Seems to be doing around 35mpg and I'd say it's marginally more economic than my EcoBoost 1.0 125.  This surprised me to be honest.  I think part of the EcoBoost's problem is that it takes ages to get to optimum operating temperature.  The 1.25 seems to warm up pretty quickly in comparison.

But the EcoBoost's block is made of cast iron, which is designed to warm up in half the time of the older engines. Going from a 1.6 sigma to 1.0 EcoBoost, I'd say it warms up much much faster, unless there's something strange about the 1.25 which I'm overlooking.

I'm not putting anyone off but heard from ford dealer mechanic & mot tester,also a friend suggested to stay away from 1.0 ecoboost as when cambelt goes its new engine. He says they replaced loads. The 1.25 is more robust than that.
Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Ecoboost engine overheating problems 1.0
ECOBOOST ENGINE OVERHEATING PROBLEMS 1.0
If someone has or has the car equipped with this engine should be aware that it has valid warranty extension and / or require deep reviews of the state of the engine. A deficiency is detected in the engine cooling which causes in some cars a peak of overheating of which the panel does not give any warning and burns the gaskets of the motor leaving passing liquid of cooling to the gasoline circuit damaging the whole motor and forcing a repair Which is practically a new engine.
The first symptom is difficulty getting the car to work and losing power without any other indication of the vehicle. Of course, the damage is done right now.
Ford does not assume this manufacturing defect that is already explained in at least one technical opinion of an American company and the owner has no alternative but to undertake a thorough repair in a car that should have a much longer life.
The dealers on their side refer the matter to Ford and say that they only "repair cars" in a very nice way.
Deco has already contacted Ford in my case and they simply ignore the issue by referring only to the fact that the vehicle is not covered by warranty.

BE CAREFUL THEREFORE WITH THESE EXPERIMENTAL ENGINES.

This article copied from honest johns website.

Yunii

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

That issue is well known and it's not anything to do with the cambelt.

And any engine where the timing belt/chain goes is probably going to need a full or partial rebuild. It's not a problem that is limited to the 1.0 EcoBoost engine.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pullock said:

But the EcoBoost's block is made of cast iron, which is designed to warm up in half the time of the older engines. Going from a 1.6 sigma to 1.0 EcoBoost, I'd say it warms up much much faster, unless there's something strange about the 1.25 which I'm overlooking.

It's just something I noticed. The 1.25 seems to have the full 4 temperature bars on the dashboard at the point my EcoBoost has 2 tops.

The 1.0 litres were also more expensive than the 1.25 obviously because they are newer and more advanced but for the price I payed for my car it is a 2015 with 9000 miles, for the same price you'd be looking at a 63-14 plate ecoboost with maybe 15-20k miles but I suppose you're paying for the advancement.

My friend has the 1 litre Ecoboost  (125) in the focus and he just goes to work and back which is very,very local and in traffic a lot and i have a normal

1.6 fiesta Tit on a 11 plate and when we compare there isn't a big amount in the M.P.G,mine is anything from 28 to 32 depending on how much traffic and

he gets around  34 area on a Ecoboost but this is very short trips,some cases my car (1.6) aint even got the slightest warm from the heater if it does at all.

2 hours ago, yunii said:

I'm not putting anyone off but heard from ford dealer mechanic & mot tester,also a friend suggested to stay away from 1.0 ecoboost as when cambelt goes its new engine. He says they replaced loads. The 1.25 is more robust than that.
Yunii

Yunii, do you have any more information about that? I've not heard of Ecoboost timing belt failures and indeed would not expect to given it is intended to be a 'belt for life' (actually 150k miles) given it runs in oil. It'd be great for the community if you could dig a little deeper to find out how big this issue actually is.

Did about 45 miles in town traffic yesterday helping a friend move stuff to his new house, so lots of little 2 mile trips with 20 minute intervals while we loaded up cars.

Temp was about 5 degrees outside.

My Ecoboost 140 st line did about 41 mpg indicated on dash for those trips, Stop/Start was off.

Under 30 for a 1.25 does sound a bit low to me but then again I don't know anything about those engines.

Okay so quick update I drove in town today and managed to average 42.2 mpg which I'm pretty happy with, obviously my driving before wasn't that good haha

• 2 years later...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club