Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Focus Mk2.5 Brake Noise

barnowl005095

hi, I am having an issue with my Focus Mk2.5 Brakes. Last year my brakes started to squeal and make funny noises. I asked a few people what i should do and as i had just bought the car second hand i was told to change the pads as they could be cheap or in bad condition. i changed the pads with Eicher pads (all round). These worked fine for about 2 months until one day they started clunking when i braked. i did a bit of googling around and lots of people suggested that Eicher pads do not fit the callipers exactly and the recommendation was to pay a bit more for pads and to change the carrier sliders as they may be worn or sticking. So i changed the pads again to Brembo, along with the sliders. I thought this would be the last time i wold visit this issue but it has resurfaced again 6 months since i did the pads and sliders. i have checked that the pads are copper greased and the sliders are all greased and push freely. The Noise i can only described as a clunk when i brake. It will do it once initially then not do it for a few hundred yards (like it's reset), then it will do it again.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter, i'm now out of all ideas what to do?

Thanks

Is it definitely the brakes? Does the clunk come from the front of the car? Does it sound the same as the clunk heard when reaching 15mph~ for the first time after starting?

On 05/02/2017 at 10:56 PM, Micro said:

Is it definitely the brakes? Does the clunk come from the front of the car? Does it sound the same as the clunk heard when reaching 15mph~ for the first time after starting?

Just out of interest, what is that clunk when its first started? 

2 hours ago, Moonhorse83 said:

Just out of interest, what is that clunk when its first started? 

I believe it is the ABS module self test.

• Like 2

On 05/02/2017 at 10:11 PM, barnowl005095 said:

hi, I am having an issue with my Focus Mk2.5 Brakes. Last year my brakes started to squeal and make funny noises. I asked a few people what i should do and as i had just bought the car second hand i was told to change the pads as they could be cheap or in bad condition. i changed the pads with Eicher pads (all round). These worked fine for about 2 months until one day they started clunking when i braked. i did a bit of googling around and lots of people suggested that Eicher pads do not fit the callipers exactly and the recommendation was to pay a bit more for pads and to change the carrier sliders as they may be worn or sticking. So i changed the pads again to Brembo, along with the sliders. I thought this would be the last time i wold visit this issue but it has resurfaced again 6 months since i did the pads and sliders. i have checked that the pads are copper greased and the sliders are all greased and push freely. The Noise i can only described as a clunk when i brake. It will do it once initially then not do it for a few hundred yards (like it's reset), then it will do it again.

Can anyone shed any light on the matter, i'm now out of all ideas what to do?

Thanks

If the noise occurs just after setting off (at 12mph) it will be the ABS self test, if as you say it happens when you first brake and at speed then it 'could' be the pads move/settle in the calipers.

• Like 1

hi, yes it's the same clunk. i thought it might be the ABS self test but i can hear that also. if i press the brakes it will do it then may be 100 mtrs, press the brakes again and it will do it again but it won't do it in between. its like the pad is out of place and it  gets nocked back in to place then relaxes back out of place again. it is also all the time not just at start off.

Thanks

When I bought my Focus Mk2.5, I occasional got a repeating thumping noise coming from the brakes, mostly from cold.

The dealer used his garage to do it's Service/MOT, it had new brakes and pads fitted using non-Ford parts.

I took it back and showed them, they had a look and I drove away thinking it was sorted, it wasn't the noise came back.

After going back again on a Saturday they weren't even open,  so I got fed up and went to my local garage literally and the end of my street,

they looked and said they couldn't find anything wrong, but the thumping noise never came back!

so they'd fixed it without knowing it, I'm assuming they took off the pads to look and refitted them properly.

5 hours ago, barnowl005095 said:

hi, yes it's the same clunk. i thought it might be the ABS self test but i can hear that also. if i press the brakes it will do it then may be 100 mtrs, press the brakes again and it will do it again but it won't do it in between. its like the pad is out of place and it  gets nocked back in to place then relaxes back out of place again. it is also all the time not just at start off.

Thanks

Does it do it if you just lightly press the pedal (enough to bring your brake lights on only)?

On 13/02/2017 at 3:02 PM, Micro said:

Does it do it if you just lightly press the pedal (enough to bring your brake lights on only)?

i'll check tonight on my way home.

Thanks

On 13/02/2017 at 9:15 AM, barnowl005095 said:

its like the pad is out of place and it  gets knocked back in to place then relaxes back out of place again. it is also all the time not just at start off.

It could be wear in the caliper bracket. This has guide rails that the pads must slide in, a step or lump could push the pads about or make them stick. That is one bit I don't think you have replaced.

Interesting about the ABS self test. I get a hiss just after the 1st pull-away after starting. It sounds just like the fuel tank evap. canister vent I had on my previous car, but this is a Diesel with no evap. canister that I can detect. So maybe that is an ABS test. It is not a clunk sound on my car though.

12 hours ago, Tdci-Peter said:

It could be wear in the caliper bracket. This has guide rails that the pads must slide in, a step or lump could push the pads about or make them stick. That is one bit I don't think you have replaced.

Interesting about the ABS self test. I get a hiss just after the 1st pull-away after starting. It sounds just like the fuel tank evap. canister vent I had on my previous car, but this is a Diesel with no evap. canister that I can detect. So maybe that is an ABS test. It is not a clunk sound on my car though.

i've had the ABS sound before and sometimes while i've been driving. It's like a scraping noise. Thought it was my clutch initially. 

I checked on the way home and its when the brakes actually start to apply, not on the lights. so it sounds mechanical not electrical.are the guide rails the 2 silver pins? one at top and bottom? if so i have replaced these as well.

3 hours ago, barnowl005095 said:

are the guide rails the 2 silver pins?

No, I think those are the caliper guide pins or sliding pins. The bracket is the metal part fixed to the hub that the pins screw into. The ends of the pads are supported by this bracket, and it carries all the braking force.

The ends of the red arrows in the pic below are the "rails", just little grooves or guides really.

RearBrake1.jpg

And another pic that is a bit clearer: (This is a rear brake, but front is same principle)

RearBrake2.jpg