Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spare wheel/jack cost

fladavid

Hi. 

My daughter has just bought a 13 plate, 1.0 ecotec Zetec Fiesta and I have noticed that there is no spare wheel, only a can of jollop for emergencies.

Can I buy a new or second hand spare and jack for her car anywhere? How much should I be looking to pay? I'm assuming it's a space saver type of spare?

Any advice would be great thank you. 

David. 

Thank you. 

Are they just one standard size for all Fiestas of that year and generation?

Only ask as I've seen a second hand one and the guy says it fits my daughters car. It's a 135/80 B14 80P (4 holes).

that sounds like a skinny space saver. my 2015 fiesta had a spare with it when new as it is Econetic model and ford still give you a spare as standard on the econetic.

It is a 175/65/14 which is the same as the spares they have been putting in the boot of Fiestas since about 2002. So they are widely available on eBay even with unused tyres on where they have lived their life in the boot and never been fitted to the car then a salvage dealer is selling it from a crashed car.

The only thing is, that might mean the tyre might be quite old (although it will not have aged so much if it has been in the dark boot all of the time).

All car tyres have had the week and year of manufacture moulded in the side wall for about the last thirty years. It is normally only on one side of the tyre, not both.  eg. if it says 2610 it means week 26 of 2010 so about the end of June 2010.

Although 175/65/14 is smaller then the other wheels on your car, it is a full size wheel from the base models fiestas (and the econetic) so I would feel more confident with that than a skinny space saver wheel

Now the guy selling said it came from his 60 plate Fiesta so I'm confused now. 

When I bought my car it had no spare wheel but the pump up and latex system.   I had no alternative as my wife suffers from the Type 1 Latex Allergy and she wouldn't have been able to use it in the event of a puncture as, if she had got any of the latex on her hands, she would have gone into anaphylactic shock.   I bought the spare from the Ford dealer at a cost of £140 and kept the pump which make a very good tyre inflater.   Some time back, Ford were advertising all their cars as latex free; I wonder if they still do?  

It may be worth highlighting that the overall wheel diameter is not just a function of the wheel diameter itself (e.g. 14", 15" etc) but also the profile of the tyre wall (e.g. 135/80). Together you can end up with overall sizes being broadly similar (or very different!) despite what the figures might otherwise suggest at first glance.

Rather then wrestle with the maths and mixed units (wheels in inches, tyres in mm!!) there are various calculators available online e.g. this one.

the spare in my 2007 fiesta was 175/65/14 and in my 2015 fiesta it's the same. perhaps they did vary them somewhere in between . i just had a look in the 2015 brochure I have and it just says the optional extra is a 14 inch diameter  5.5inch width sparewheel, it does not specify tyre size. 

It will do the job as a get you home tyre. i don't how far you travel. I would feel safer with a 175 width than a 135 width if I was travelling a long way. but a few years ago some cars had 135 width tyres all round - like fiat 127 did.   Of course any tyre you use as a spare which is not same size as the wheels on the car means it might be less safe at speed. it will no doubt have a big sticker on saying max 50mph / 80kmh

Checked last night when she came home and she has 195/55/15 tyres on her car so the one I'm looking at is 14" diameter so it is the wrong size. 

Does anybody know the correct size Ford would sell you at initial purchase so that I can look for that size exactly and I'll know I'm getting the correct one. 

If you want an *exact* match then you have little choice other than to buy a spare alloy of the same type as fitted. The point of space savers is as for use as a temporary measure and so on that basis an exact match is not required. I haven't checked all the combinations available though so you might be lucky.

Again, don't be fooled by the '14" is not 15"' line of thinking as it depends on the overall wheel+tyre combination. For example, your 195/55R15 wheel has a diameter of 23.4". A 175/65R14 space saver has a diameter of 23". This difference is small and, putting it in to perspective, likely in the realms of the difference you could have with differences in tyre pressures (which of course is itself not particularly recommended but it would not likely stop you from driving the car until you get it resolved).

(Edit: Apologies; just re-read your post and see that you were asking for an exact match to space savers that Ford would have given you and not an exact match to your specific wheel. I'll leave my response intact though as I suspect that the range of space savers is much smaller than all the wheel/tyre combinations across Ford's range and so there could well be variation in what you'd be given anyway within the realms of being 'close enough').

So if I found a cheap full size 15" 4 stud wheel it would fit in the boot ok? There is enough room in the dip?

It would depend on the size of the dip (I don't mean that to sound so flippant - I just haven't been down this route so don't know its size!).

my 2007 fiesta zetec had 15 inch alloys on and a 14inch steel spare. the 15 inch alloy did fit in the dip diameter wise but it was taller so the boot floor was not flat with the 15 inch alloy in there.

I have not tried putting a 15inch alloy in the boot of my 2015 fiesta. It looks like it would be ok diameter wise but like with my 2007 fiesta would probably be taller than the dip. Leaving you to decide if a flat boot floor matters to you.

It should be quite easy to measure the diameter and thickness of one wheel/tyre on your car and then measure the diameter and depth of the dip in your boot

That tallys with what the seller is saying to me that it was a spare for a 60 plate Fiesta. I told them that it was a 14" spare but my car has 15" wheels and they said it doesn't matter they used it on their car. 

Seems wrong to me tbh.

Just phoned Ford parts and they said the wheel they sell is a 14" and it is legal to use it on the Fiesta with 15" wheels temporarily to give you a chance to get the tyre replaced only. 

The funny thing was I said what tyre fits that and he said 175/65/R14 and I said that's strange because that seems too wide to be a space saver tyre. He told me that there had been queries about that in the past but wasn't sure if their info about the tyre was wrong as they don't sell the tyre itself, only the wheel. 

It's the right size.   The difference between the tyre sizes (50 and 65) make up the difference between the 14" and 15" wheels.   My spare is 14 inch too and I have 15 inch wheels.

If you're running different sizes check the manual -- you may be limited in speed (50?) and possibility single-journey distance. 

175/65/14 is the standard spare size for most fiesta models.  I think the ST may be different.  

i can confirm 175/65/14 is the correct size for space saver for the fiesta, we have got 5 crates of them( around 200 of them)  at work ready to go in fiestas. 

• Like 1

Just buy a seconhand alloy that matches yours, with a tyre. Jack kits on eBay go for around £15/20 . No problems with size, speed or how far you can travel.

If you are going to jack up your car and change a wheel you don't want to have to do it again tomorrow. Change wheel take the punctured one for repair put into boot. End off.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club