Do Not Sell My Personal Information

DPF Active Regeneration

DJ_Andy_M

2015 Focus 1.5 TDCi.

Right, so typically I get to my work car park and the car has decided to start doing an active regeneration.

Now, will the car attempt this again when I start my journey home tonight? Or will I have to give it some heavy right foot on Friday night when I get a nice long motorway run?

It won't start it again until up to temperature, unless it is getting really bad then it will start sooner.

When I had my diesel, if I pulled up and it was regen'ing, I would rag it round the block and it would have stopped by the time I got back.

Normally it starts before I get to work so I can do exactly that, but time was against me!

I'm trying not to trigger the soot loading level to go too high! I'm guessing that will come back down again??

I have a Fiesta 1.5tdci (same engine with DPF) . I worry about the regeneration.

How do you know it is doing it when you get to your work car park?

Usually the fan is on full speed and the exhaust will be burbling.

I had this happen to me at the gym, well annoying when it happens at an inconvenient time!

I spoke to ford about it and as has been said, it wont just start again until the temps right etc, I occasionally do long motorway miles so hopefully its cleaning itself then.  They also mentioned that the engine has to normally run for a minimum of 15 minutes before it will attempt one, I guess that's down to temperature, and their advice should I find myself in that situation again where I had just parked up was to take it down the motorway a few junctions.  

I'd hoped that when I restarted it, it would've just carried on but apparently not.

I have never to my knowledge known this when parking  "Usually the fan is on full speed and the exhaust will be burbling. " but most of the time I have the radio on and perhaps not noticed it.

I bought my car in Sept 2016 at 9500 miles and have done 6500 miles since then. Mostly motorway.

What worries me : a friend had a Mazda6 diesel and kept having trouble with the oil level going too high and the oil thining. she was told this is because she was turning off the engine during the regeneration. She was told the regeneration is done by flooding the engine with excess diesel which then drains down into the oil in the sump if you turn engine off during the regeneration. 

her journey was about 20 miles each way to and from work on moderate speed A roads. She sold it due to getting fed up with that problem.

So can we end up with the same problem on Fords if we turn the engine off during regeneration?

The oil level on my dipstick is above the upper level but I do not know what it was like when I bought the car. It was serviced 2 days before I got it, so the Ford dealer told me (and the service stamp says) so they might have put too much oil in then, but i don't know.

If I did find "the fan is on full speed and the exhaust will be burbling" when parking would it be OK to sit there stationary and wait until it seems to have finished? how long might that take.  Where I park at work there is a bit of traffic and it would not be practical to drive back out of the carpark and give it a blast round the block.

It's a real interesting noise when its in the process of doing one, and a weird feeling in the steering wheel as well.

Thankfully tonight it started to do it again as I came off the A303 so I thrashed the revs down the A roads for a bit.

If in doubt of how far along it is i'll sit with the revs at 2000 for a couple of minutes in the car park and release. If it goes back to sounding normal/auto stop start kicks in we're all good.

I do two good motorway runs on a friday and saturday night, so most of the time it stays clean as a bell. Its only when I do extra bits of town driving on top of my daily commute/weekend run that I find it wants to do an active regeneration. Also it seems to be fuel dependant as well for me. BP ultimate in the tank, I don't get an active regeneration for weeks. As soon as I start putting Shell in there, different story.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DJ_Andy_M said:

It's a real interesting noise when its in the process of doing one, and a weird feeling in the steering wheel as well.

I'd only had the car a week when it did it on mine, I didn't realise what was going on so rang the ford garage, I actually thought it was broken.

It should happen every 200-300 miles so if you miss one it shouldn't be a problem, just don't worry about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Thankfully tonight it started to do it again as I came off the A303 so I thrashed the revs down the A roads for a bit.
If in doubt of how far along it is i'll sit with the revs at 2000 for a couple of minutes in the car park and release. If it goes back to sounding normal/auto stop start kicks in we're all good.
I do two good motorway runs on a friday and saturday night, so most of the time it stays clean as a bell. Its only when I do extra bits of town driving on top of my daily commute/weekend run that I find it wants to do an active regeneration. Also it seems to be fuel dependant as well for me. BP ultimate in the tank, I don't get an active regeneration for weeks. As soon as I start putting Shell in there, different story.

I'm pleased you mentioned that about the fuel...I thought it was just all in my head! Shell VPower seems to cause long and frequent regens, whereas like you said, the car regens a lot less with BP Ultimate! I wonder why?? I've got a 2010 1.6 TDCI with 72K miles on the clock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Faster idle speed rpm, and fan will be running , stop start also won't engage whilst regenerating , some people say your instant fuel mpg will be lower. 

Just don't turn your engine off whilst its regenerating! 

Is rpm considerably faster,

Because i have no idea what the fan is going over the radio, 

On 2/18/2017 at 1:59 PM, A_Jobson said:

I'm pleased you mentioned that about the fuel...I thought it was just all in my head! Shell VPower seems to cause long and frequent regens, whereas like you said, the car regens a lot less with BP Ultimate! I wonder why?? I've got a 2010 1.6 TDCI with 72K miles on the clock.

I'm guessing our engines don't like the additive package they add to their fuel. I'm glad that I am not the only one to have noticed this too!

14 hours ago, Fkuk said:

How do you know if the car is performing a regeneration?

There are some quite obvious give aways. Under normal idle you'll notice your needle is less than 1000rpm, in a regeneration it's around 1000 or above. The engine note changes to quite a growl when idling, and for me I can feel it through the body of the car.

• Like 1

There are some quite obvious give aways. Under normal idle you'll notice your needle is less than 1000rpm, in a regeneration it's around 1000 or above. The engine note changes to quite a growl when idling, and for me I can feel it through the body of the car.

It's as though the 'Ford recommends BP' campaign seems to come in to this [emoji848]

As for the DPF regen, with mine when idling, the constant mpg figure increases from 0.1 g/h to 0.2 during the regen process.

My rpm increases to about 900 rpm from 700rpm . The fan is a good giveaway , but like you say can't always here it over the radio. 

• 1 year later...

Afternoon all,

apologies for resurrecting an aging thread, but I am potentially on the verge of purchasing a 1.5 Tdci Grand Tourneo Connect.

I have placed a deposit and am going to test drive it on Thursday.

I know that engine has been around for approx 2 years now, and a search online has found little to suggest it is causing big problems.

My nagging concern is that we probably do one motorway jourmey a week, and the majority of the other ones will be shorter journeys, sometimes to work, sometimes to school, and once a week to the supermarket.

I test drove one at the weekend, and it's a really nice lively engine, even in that big vehicle, and the gear change was spot on.

But I am still a bit worried, so could so with some re-assurance that it's still the right car.

The main reason I want it, is so we can get fully assembled bikes, and people in the car at the same time.

There is precious little out there to compare, the new Berlingo XL will do, but literally out this month, everything else is far more utilitarian - not an issue for me, but the gf is not keen.

Should I be looking to add some dpf cleaning fluid to the tank for example every so many hundred miles, or even every tank?

For example:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/engine-oils-fluids/fuel-oil-additives/carlube-diesel-particulate-filter-cleaner

Happy to bung one of those in every 5 weeks, at a cost of circa £100 a year, if it saves me many thousand pounds worth of dpf issues.

Na, I wouldn't bother with that mate. Just thrash it for 20 min or so every now or then. Good long hard drives at a sustained high-ish RPM keeps the DPF doctors away. 

• Like 1

My living arrangements changed in April meaning that I wasn't doing the hour to work and back every day and therefore only drive a 5 minute journey Mon-Friday. I do however still get two long journeys to and from home on the motorway at the weekend and touch wood, so far I've not seen any issues from this.

• Like 1