Join Premium & Save
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear

JackDG

What is this part and why is it leaking air

Hi Guys,

Last couple days the engine has been noticeably louder than usual, sounds a bit like there is a tear somewhere in a hose, can't notice a difference in performance / economy.

Had a look around the engine with it off after driving and heard a hissing noise coming from the small white connection with 3 hoses attached. (in picture) It continues to leak air for a minute or 2 after the engine is shut off.

To fix the leak can I just use some gasket sealer or should I be looking to replace the white thing / any hoses? could this be responsible for extra noise when driving?

thanks

edit: 2005 2.0 TDCI, 146,000 miles

mg7Ycve.jpg

I might be wrong but isn't that right behind your head gasket ? If so then that's your ECV ( emissions control valve ) same as what l have to replace on our mk1 focus and no it shouldn't hiss replace it.

the pipe your refering to is the brake vacuum hose that goes to the brake servo. it shouldnt hiss unless theres a leak. it will need replacing or fixing as if it breaks where its leaking, you will loose servo assistance on brakes. and thats dangerous!!

Haha both pretty different answers! 

Upon googling the 'ECV' emissions control valve I do not think that this is correct, so im assuming its something to do with the brakes like iantt has suggested?

What are the names of the components I'm looking at so I can find replacements? (in particular the small white connector with 3 pipes plugged into it)

its as i said ,  it is the brake booster vacuum hose. it wont come as separate parts. the small hose will pull off the white t piece.

as you will see , it fits to the brake booster servo one end and other end to the vacuum pump on engine.

Hi, 

I had this hose connector break on me and at low idle, there is no brake pressure on the front brakes, and its scary dangerous. Mechanic and i managed to find this broken piece and I'm wondering if anyone of you knows if this can be bought separately as the dealer(s) insist that this is sold as part of the brake booster assembly. Its ridiculous!  Here are some pics for better appreciation. 

Would appreciate some referrals from any one on where to get this connector alone, if possible. I don't mind if its used either. I'm willing to pay shipping.

Focus TDCi-Brake Booster Vacuum Hose.jpg

Focus TDCi-Brake Booster Vacuum Hose-01.jpg

Focus TDCi-Brake Booster Vacuum Hose-02.jpg

Focus TDCi-Brake Booster Vacuum Hose-03.jpg

Focus TDCi-Brake Booster Vacuum Hose-04.jpg

If you are happy with a used part then I'd suggest using something like Parts Gateway, you will usually get some sort of warranty to give you chance to return it if it doesn't work right.

You're welcome.  Using the above (i.e. scrappies that have an online presence) is a bit like going to the scrappy for a part like people did 15 years ago but without the pikey bloke and having to remove the part from the vehicle yourself! :smile: