Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drivers side Electric window not working every now and then

K2008

Hi,

I own a Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 3 door. In the past year the drivers side electric window decides not to work on and off. It does it every now and then. But it's done it twice in the past week, so it's getting more often

I press the button to wind it down, and it just makes the clicking sound but the window wont go down (so it's not as if it's completely broken/dead as I can hear the clicking sound, and eventually it will decide to work again). I have no idea why it does this.

One thing I have noticed, is the last time it done it was April, and now in Nov/December... so rain! perhaps water is getting in? how would I find out how to repair the leak? :blink: It does normally start working again, but if I think about it, it'snormally once the rain has stopped/dried up.

The passengers side electric window is fine, I've never had any problems with it, just the drivers side.

Hi,

I own a Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 3 door. In the past year the drivers side electric window decides not to work on and off. It does it every now and then. But it's done it twice in the past week, so it's getting more often

I press the button to wind it down, and it just makes the clicking sound but the window wont go down (so it's not as if it's completely broken/dead as I can hear the clicking sound, and eventually it will decide to work again). I have no idea why it does this.

One thing I have noticed, is the last time it done it was April, and now in Nov/December... so rain! perhaps water is getting in? how would I find out how to repair the leak? :blink: It does normally start working again, but if I think about it, it'snormally once the rain has stopped/dried up.

The passengers side electric window is fine, I've never had any problems with it, just the drivers side.

if you mean rains getting past the seal then its a new window seal unfortunately a little water can seep past and isnt an issue thats what the drain holes are for after all it could be as simple as corroded or dodgy wires on the motor getting the door panel offs the best way to find out

if you mean rains getting past the seal then its a new window seal unfortunately a little water can seep past and isnt an issue thats what the drain holes are for after all it could be as simple as corroded or dodgy wires on the motor getting the door panel offs the best way to find out

I'm probably going to pop it to my local Ford garage to get them to take a look. Unfortunately, I have no clue about cars and fixing them in any way what so ever.

Probably a really silly question, but do you or anyone else know/guess what I'd roughly be charged for them to find out what the issue is, and then to fix it? I probably wont like what they charge me! lol. I remember them quoting me over £100 for a new key!

I'm probably going to pop it to my local Ford garage to get them to take a look. Unfortunately, I have no clue about cars and fixing them in any way what so ever.

Probably a really silly question, but do you or anyone else know/guess what I'd roughly be charged for them to find out what the issue is, and then to fix it? I probably wont like what they charge me! lol. I remember them quoting me over £100 for a new key!

you will be guaranteed to get a ridiculous price from a ford dealer. where in the uk are you located?

you will be guaranteed to get a ridiculous price from a ford dealer. where in the uk are you located?

That's what I am worried about :o . I am in Suffolk.

That's what I am worried about :o . I am in Suffolk.

what year is your car? I think your best bet would be to try a local independant atleast to get an opinion on the fault and a price to repair.

i think it sounds like dodgy wiring or a bad connection/earth.

what year is your car? I think your best bet would be to try a local independant atleast to get an opinion on the fault and a price to repair.

i think it sounds like dodgy wiring or a bad connection/earth.

It's a 2002, I have had it since Jan 2007.

I have no idea what it is, wish I did then I wouldn't have to pay someone else to find out.

If you hear the motor clicking then sounds like you need new mechanism/motor, after market local motor factors via independent is the way for you there...

motor factors use same companies as FORD, BMW etc etc etc, just that the vehicle manufacturers put a badge on it oh and another 50% on the price tag!

Get someone to check it though :)

Sounds like what happened to mine a few months back, the switch solenoid clicked but nothing else happened - I read on various forums that it could just be the motor getting jammed.

To access the motor I removed the door trim & peeled back a bit of the foam padding material (the white stuff in the pic) which covers the metal door frame to reach the motor location.

post-5809-1260738574_thumb.jpg

Then I tapped the motor with a hammer (not TOO hard, but a decent 'tap' at least). Just give the metal cylindrical section a crack!!

Hey presto, it got going again & I've had no trouble since. Don't know if it'll last forever but it's worth having a go if you were gonna fork out for it fixing anyway......

If you don't have a clue where to start removing the trim, etc, there's plenty of info on this forum & other websites, (this is where I found out how to do it.)

Good luck!!

P.S. I have read that some people got theirs going again by just banging the inside of the door next to the motor (i.e. not even removing the trim) - didn't work for me but hey, it's always worth a punt!!

• Like 1

If you hear the motor clicking then sounds like you need new mechanism/motor, after market local motor factors via independent is the way for you there...

motor factors use same companies as FORD, BMW etc etc etc, just that the vehicle manufacturers put a badge on it oh and another 50% on the price tag!

Get someone to check it though :)

Sounds like what happened to mine a few months back, the switch solenoid clicked but nothing else happened - I read on various forums that it could just be the motor getting jammed.

To access the motor I removed the door trim & peeled back a bit of the foam padding material (the white stuff in the pic) which covers the metal door frame to reach the motor location.

post-5809-1260738574_thumb.jpg

Then I tapped the motor with a hammer (not TOO hard, but a decent 'tap' at least). Just give the metal cylindrical section a crack!!

Hey presto, it got going again & I've had no trouble since. Don't know if it'll last forever but it's worth having a go if you were gonna fork out for it fixing anyway......

If you don't have a clue where to start removing the trim, etc, there's plenty of info on this forum & other websites, (this is where I found out how to do it.)

Good luck!!

P.S. I have read that some people got theirs going again by just banging the inside of the door next to the motor (i.e. not even removing the trim) - didn't work for me but hey, it's always worth a punt!!

Thank you both! (why isn't there a Thank button feature on this forum :o )

Thanks for the tips/photo Vas, that could come in very handy indeed. I have saved the picture just inacse lol. I was actually wondering how on earth the door trim came off so I'll be sure to search it on here/the internet now you mentioned it.

I'll probably get my brother to do the window/door trim rather than me though, although I really should start to learn to do things for the car myself.

I just thought it was rain getting in, because I noticed it had always been raining when it stopped working and would normally start the next day or two days later - maybe just coincidence, but my brother said he doubt water is getting in (he did give some explanation as to why but it was complicated car talk for me to remember :D ).

The window was working again by Sunday morning (I thought it was because the weather had dried up)... then while I was in Asda it chucked it down with rain, so I tested the window when I got hom expecting it not to work because of the bad rain... but it worked fine - I haven't tested it again since though, I don't use my car every single day, so will check it the next time I go out in it.

Thanks again.

• 9 years later...

hi i had  the same problem with my drivers window , i noticed it was not moving down or up so fast . put a silicone spray down all the rubbers hay presto works fine now 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club