Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What battery charger?

mjt

I've been looking at a Ctek battery charger. I've read good things about them and I'm seriously thinking of getting one but although they have modes for various battery types nowhere does it state they are suitable for lead-calcium batteries. Does anyone know if they're compatible or have suggestions for alternative chargers?

I use a CTEK for my boat, and it charges 3x110AH AGM's,  it's excellent

1 hour ago, mjt said:

I've been looking at a Ctek battery charger. I've read good things about them and I'm seriously thinking of getting one but although they have modes for various battery types nowhere does it state they are suitable for lead-calcium batteries. Does anyone know if they're compatible or have sugesstions for alternative chargers?

http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/page/whycharge/12v-battery-charger

Unlike many battery chargers available on the market, a CTEK 24V or 12V battery charger will react only to the needs of the battery meaning that every CTEK charger is suitable to charge, condition and prolong the life of all of the above Car Batteries.

Thanks everyone, I think that clinches it.

Larry, my boat has a built-in 20-Amp charger so I will basically only be needing the Ctek for the car. I plan on buying the MXS 5.0 as that will be adequate for this purpose. I do take the batteries off the boat and keep them at home over the winter during which I give them a freshening charge once a month. I have been using what is now a rather old Gunsons automatic charger. The Ctek should be adequate for that purpose as well. It can cope with up to 110Ah capacity and I only charge one at a time.

you won't be disappointed with the CTEK charger, I have 2 of them. the MXS 0.7 has been connected to my bike since October and the MXS 5.0 has been connected to a leisure battery (around 100ah) since October also. 

Now on order. Thanks again to everyone who responded.

I looked at them , but luckily Aldi was selling there version for £12 think it was. 

Thought give it a go. Same spec as the ctek. 

Works a treat. 

18 hours ago, mjt said:

Thanks everyone, I think that clinches it.

Larry, my boat has a built-in 20-Amp charger so I will basically only be needing the Ctek for the car. I plan on buying the MXS 5.0 as that will be adequate for this purpose. I do take the batteries off the boat and keep them at home over the winter during which I give them a freshening charge once a month. I have been using what is now a rather old Gunsons automatic charger. The Ctek should be adequate for that purpose as well. It can cope with up to 110Ah capacity and I only charge one at a time.

I wasn't suggesting using my CTEK 20 for a car, just acting as a reference for how good they are... Awesome charger

The charger arrived yesterday (I was amazed to get a Sunday delivery) and I'm very impressed. Everything about it looks really high quality. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

There's good reason you can pay a lot of money when you buy a high end car for a ctek charger..

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Just an interesting addendum to this topic : When I went out to the Mk3 the other day it wouldn't respond to the remote. It had been standing unused for about 4 weeks so I assumed it was the car battery (I tried both remotes so ruled out the remote battery). I got in using the key blade, at which point the alarm went off but that's a subject for another thread. Anyway I connected the CTEK and left it for about 11 hours by which time it had got through all its steps so I disconnected and tried starting the car. It started ok.

The thing is that, even though I didn't use the 'Recondition' setting, it must have given the battery a boost because using the car for the first time today the auto Stop-Start is suddenly working and it's only worked very intermittently in the year I've had the car - I could count the number on the fingers of one hand.

I'm well impressed! :thumbup:

good to hear the new charger did it`s job for you, i got one of them chargers when i 1st got my focus a few years ago, they also sell a little battery test thing that shows you how you battery is,it has led`s that show you the condition. 

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/battery-chargers-jump-starters/ctek-comfort-battery-charge-indicator-clamp#reviewDetails

part of the cycle on the charger does include reconditioning but unless you monitor it you won't know how long its spent doing it.

My understanding is that the 'recondition' is an extra step, involving raising the charging voltage to produce gassing, that is only used if you select "RECOND" as the mode. I selected basic Normal battery mode so it wouldn't have included that step.

Ctek.jpg

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mjt said:

Just an interesting addendum to this topic : When I went out to the Mk3 the other day it wouldn't respond to the remote. It had been standing unused for about 4 weeks so I assumed it was the car battery (I tried both remotes so ruled out the remote battery). I got in using the key blade, at which point the alarm went off but that's a subject for another thread. ...............................

In the FORD FOCUS Owner's Manual (2015 CG3630en 01-2015), there is a “Note” under “Locks”:

"Note: When you lock your vehicle for several weeks, the remote control will be switched off. Your vehicle must be unlocked and started. Unlocking and starting your vehicle once will enable the remote control."

Hi Rick, the manual for mine also has the same statement. That is obviously the answer as I had inadvertently carried out exactly that procedure.

Many thanks, it just goes to show - RTFM! :laugh:

2 hours ago, mjt said:

My understanding is that the 'recondition' is an extra step, involving raising the charging voltage to produce gassing, that is only used if you select "RECOND" as the mode. I selected basic Normal Battery mode so it wouldn't have included that step.

Ctek.jpg

I stand corrected, its desulphation I was thinking off - just had a flick through the manual. I knew both of my chargers had the option but then realised it cant be recondition as the smaller MXS0.7 doesnt have recondition.