Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clutch pedal sticking Mk3

richardc1983

Sometimes when I take my foot off the clutch pedal it seems to be sticking just before it reaches the fully up position - annoying as causes the car to judder as it then springs back to the fully up position as if I am not changing gear smoothly. Looks like another trip back to the car people! 

you need to get your head up by the pedals to have a look whilst you push the pedal down and up with your hand, or someone in the passenger seats puts their right leg over to do it whilst you look.  you might find this is less hassle than taking car to garage depending on what you find. could be spring catching on something? I can't recall what they look like with regard to the spring.

This is gonna be difficult as I have no idea what I am looking for and I'm 6ft 2 with back problems not gonna be able to get in there. 

These issues I am having with this car are now starting to take the shine off. 

I've contacted car people over this but heard nothing back from them yet. 

What type of engine/gearbox do you have?

The problem you describe is a known Focus MK3 problem on early versions of the 1.6 TDCI.

There is a TSB about this issue. This TSB describes the actions that must be taken to solve this problem.

If I remember correctly the clutch master cilinder and pressure plate needs to be replaced by revised versions and a revised clutch pedal spring must be installed. However I currently do not have access to the content this TSB

Be aware that the TSB only describes the problem and the solution. A TSB has nothing to do with warranty.

its now just the clutch pressure plate(1830517) that needs replacing, deemed the clutch slave cyl is no longer required to be changed.

Thank you both for the info. Ford told me there were no recalls on the car before I have noticed this as a problem. 

Is a TSB different to a recall? Would this show up on ETIS? 

that tsb no longer exists. recalls are rectifications that a dealer has to do,tsb is general info regarding a certain known  fault that may not affect all vehicles but random ones .

If the car is out of warranty you will have to pay for repair.

As I already mentione a TSB (Technical service Bulletin) has nothing to do with warranty. The TSB system is basically only an internal system to communicate known/possible issues and the prescribed/recommended solution to all Ford dealers.

Well given the car is in warranty from the car people it's done this since I've had it so I will take it for them to sort. They can sort the washer bottle also. 

Chasing with the Car People now to find out where I stand with this.

Car people are sayIng their technicians can't find fault and that I shouldn't be changing gear quickly. 

Their senior tech guy is taking it out to road test later to check again. 

On ‎10‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, isetta said:

down and up with your hand, or someone in the passenger seats puts their right leg over to do it whilst you look

lol sorry but I just had too

• Like 2

2 hours ago, richardc1983 said:

Car people are sayIng their technicians can't find fault and that I shouldn't be changing gear quickly. 

Their senior tech guy is taking it out to road test later to check again. 

Oh wow, they're actually saying you shouldn't be changing gear quickly?! I'd be screwed if I had this problem.

Yes I know. Changing gear fast when yOur on a motorway or joining is normal.

18 hours ago, richardc1983 said:

Yes I know. Changing gear fast when yOur on a motorway or joining is normal.

Some places near me have hills so steep you can easily lose 20mph with if you took it easy changing gears,

Looking at eBay they only seem to cost around £25 so in the interests of saving a bit of cash which looks to be a fairly simple job I'd do that, I have a Haynes Manual I can send some pictures your way if it has anything about the pedal :) 

• Like 1

Well, this situation has got much more serious. After arguing with them today as they took it on a test drive and couldn't find a fault with it. They had delight in telling me they had 4 technicians look at it and the senior. I drove the car for 2 miles in busy traffic that took half an hour crawling along. The car was juddering in first most the way which was concerning. I noticed that my range had gone to 160 miles when before it was 56 miles. 

Decided to call at my parents on the way. When I go back out to the car it wouldn't start, engine was just turning over. Tried ten mins later but in mean time speaking with AA and car people who were no use. AA come out it started for him which was strange. He asked what work had been done today by car people I told him, I also pointed out the increased range and fuel. Immediately he got a fuel funnel out and was sniffing the fuel tank with it, YES PETROL. The idiots have put petrol in my diesel on a car that is new to me. We don't know how long they have driven it whether before or after their test drive up the motorway. 

AA have now said not to drive it, car people salesmen when I rang up to tell them said "try get it running and drive it down and don't trust everything the AA says" absolute idiots. I'm now stranded in Wakefield when I live in Leeds and unable to get to work tomorrow for my site visits. I use my car for work. 

After reading the following link debating if should tell them I don't want the car. A lot now needs sorting. 

https://www.greenflag.com/breakdown-cover/misfuelling/what-happens

• Like 1

UPDATE ON ABOVE: So been down they said I could change the car to something else of the same value, no compensation mind! They openly admitted what they had done. There are no other cars there that I want and no focus titanium X.

They are gonna put it all right and they are gonna service the car also plus full tank of fuel etc. They not budging on the compensation but I have spent  a lot of my own time on this vehicle getting it right so I know it is pretty much right apart from this disaster now and if I was to swap the car for something else I could be getting something that also has issues.

Compensation wise once the car comes back I will be contacting Barclaycard to discuss compensation with them.

They have also agreed to address the issue with the clutch even though they said there is no issue with it. I have said it doesnt feel right. Can we clarify exactly what is needed to resolve this issue. I spoke to ford yesterday and they said its just the clutch pressure PIPE that needs replacing, not PLATE.

On 2/12/2017 at 5:58 PM, iantt said:

that tsb no longer exists. recalls are rectifications that a dealer has to do,tsb is general info regarding a certain known  fault that may not affect all vehicles but random ones .

Wasn't sure Iantt if you meant to put put PIPE instead of plate as the original TSB states PIPE and doesnt mention the plate.

• Like 1

a revised tsb was issued and it said a clutch pressure plate was the likely cause. 

get your ford dealer to find this tsb