Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus mk3.5 "Engine Service Now" warning

redrabbit

You may have seen my thread on this forum saying I bought a 64 plate Focus yesterday. I drove it 200 miles roughly back from where I bought it and it was faultless.

This morning I drove it 2 miles to a shop.  Parked up and when I came back to drive off I got the warning message:

System Check: Engine service Now (It also says the city stop thing is disabled)

I don't know anymore than that.  

Any ideas?

25 minutes ago, redrabbit said:

You may have seen my thread on this forum saying I bought a 64 plate Focus yesterday. I drove it 200 miles roughly back from where I bought it and it was faultless.

This morning I drove it 2 miles to a shop.  Parked up and when I came back to drive off I got the warning message:

System Check: Engine Service Now (It also says the city stop thing is disabled)

I don't know anymore than that.  

Any ideas?

Fords description is a bit vague - " The system requires service.   Have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer as soon as possible.  "

I'd contact the dealer that supplied the car to report the quality issue and ask them to propose a solution given the distance involved. If your cars going into Ford for the key shortly maybe get the dealer to diagnose the problem and pursue the supplying dealer to cover the cost if there is one. 

Your car should have some manufacturer warranty remaining so make sure any proposed solution from the dealer doesn't invalidate this warranty and the issue maybe be covered under Ford warranty anyway.

7 minutes ago, avi said:

Fords description is a bit vague - " The system requires service.   Have your vehicle checked by an authorized dealer as soon as possible.  "

I'd contact the dealer that supplied the car to report the quality issue and ask them to propose a solution given the distance involved. If your cars going into Ford for the key shortly maybe get the dealer to diagnose the problem and pursue the supplying dealer to cover the cost if there is one. 

Your car should have some manufacturer warranty remaining so make sure any proposed solution from the dealer doesn't invalidate this warranty and the issue maybe be covered under Ford warranty anyway.

Thanks Avi,

Just re-checking the service record which shows it was serviced:

11/12/14

20/11/15

07/02/17 (a few days ago by the Seat/Mazda garage I bought it from)

I hope they don't try to suggest that it needs an official Ford service and that's not their issue.  I will call them and tell them what's happened. 

I'm also just wondering if this is one of those errors/information messages that just need a drive around to clear it...

4 minutes ago, redrabbit said:

Thanks Avi,

Just re-checking the service record which shows it was serviced:

11/12/14

20/11/15

07/02/17 (a few days ago by the Seat/Mazda garage I bought it from)

I hope they don't try to suggest that it needs an official Ford service and that's not their issue.  I will call them and tell them what's happened. 

Check the terms of any warranty but I don't think a manufacturer can dictate a service must be provided by a specific dealer provided the service is performed to its specification.  Warranty Issues may arise if genuine Ford parts or oil spec etc isn't used but if the supplying dealer services the car recently you may be able to hold it accountable.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, redrabbit said:

I'm also just wondering if this is one of those errors/information messages that just need a drive around to clear it...

Personally I'd get it check out immediately after first informing the supplying dealer of the issue and quality concerns. Call your local Ford dealer and see what they say given the car should be under warranty. . 

Called my local Ford garage and servicing guy explained how to reset the warning lights.

I said "If it comes back on should I take it into you do you think?"

He said he can't see it coming back on and it often happens when a service has been completed but something isn't reset

Will try and reset now

Well the good news is that the information system warning did go away after I successfully followed the reset instructions that Ford gave me.

Further good news (so far) is that after a 2-3 mile journey and sat in the car for a good half hour no further lights have come on.  I've got a 25 mile round trip later so hope it continues as is...

You might have some warranty left. Get it to Ford asap to get it looked at.

If it's a 15 car, Warranty shouldn't expire until 2018...

The message is nothing to worry about at all.
It's only a service reminder abd can be reset totally safely.
Obviously the Seat garage didn't know/notice/care that the service light wasn't reset.
I had it on my 2015 Focus ST after my first Dealership service, reset it myself with zero dramas.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

Yea after I reset it car has been fine. Drove a total of about 25ish miles and no issues. 

In just over a week I have appointment with ford to get a second key made up. So I've got a good week to make sure there's no issues. 

If there are I will obviously let Ford know and get them sorted 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi ive just has this problem myself followed by a 'active city stop not avalible' message drove car short distance with limited power turned off and on again. Car seemed fine, did you have any luck getting to the bottom of this issue?

How do you reset it?

• Confused 1

resetting a service message relating to oil change is done by switching ign on then pressing brake and accelerator pedals down together and holding down until message say reset (or message dissapears on some newer vehicles)

• Like 4

There are two different messages... Engine service Now warning relates to a problem with something engine related. I had this when my fuel pump or filter wasn't right. This went away once I restarted the car and never came back until I had the same problem again.

I've also have the oil change message appear when I was close to my service interval.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

How are people resetting the “engine service now”? It’s not the oil reset. Please help!

17 hours ago, DMJQUINN said:

How are people resetting the “engine service now”? It’s not the oil reset. Please help!

engine service now is not a service reminder, its an engine systems fault that needs investigating 

• Like 1

On 04/05/2018 at 1:25 PM, DMJQUINN said:

did you ever find out how to do a Reset? - I have the "service due now" message on a Chausson motorhome despite a full service only 2 months ago!

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/18/2018 at 6:12 AM, Edurad said:

Hi. The battery needs replacing in the next couple of months. Had the same issue today, after restart message gone.

This "Engine service Now Warning" can carry many reasons. Mine was to do with the fuel pump or filter. SInce having a fuel filter change this message has gone away. There will be a code logged which can be read with Forscan.

• 7 months later...

Hi,

I bought a 2nd hand 15 plate Focus ST on Tuesday, I just got this engine service message after a short run the the shops. Initially the car wouldn't start (about 5 seconds) then fired up and drove just fine. Dealership did a service on Tuesday, could it be related to that?

On 2/11/2017 at 8:52 PM, Stoney871 said:

The message is nothing to worry about at all.
It's only a service reminder abd can be reset totally safely.
Obviously the Seat garage didn't know/notice/care that the service light wasn't reset.
I had it on my 2015 Focus ST after my first Dealership service, reset it myself with zero dramas.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I had the same message and it turned out to be a vacuum hose failure/vacuum pump needed to be cleaned.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/29/2019 at 11:06 AM, H1ghlander1977 said:

I had the same message and it turned out to be a vacuum hose failure/vacuum pump needed to be cleaned.

Did this show up as an error code? 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club