Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering wheel not inline with wheels

Ford_lover38

Hi all,

Just had the brake pads and brake disks replaced on my ford focus 1.6 2009 mk2. Driving home from the service centre I've noticed that when the steering wheel is straight the car goes slightly to the right! So i have to have the steering wheel going slightly to the right to make sure the car is straight.

now i will definitely take it back to the garage Monday however any ideas what this may be? Do you think its linked to the fact ive just had my brakes done, the steering was fine before having that done.

any help is appreciated 

When this happened to me years ago with a Fiat the garage removed and refitted the steering wheel!

Steering shunt have been touched to do the pads and discs.. def take it back but don't be surprised if they try and say it was like it before they touched it as previous post says they might have had steering wheel off. Tho why I dunno..

Thanks for your responses guys. Will definitely take it back and demand its fixed. It was part of a service which was meant to check the alignment of the wheels. 

The handbrake was replaced aswell but that shouldnt make a difference to the steering I would have thought.

Simple answer is in your last post, They've adjusted the tracking, badly! You should have mentioned they were checking the wheel alignment, in your first post.

• Like 3

Hey Yog - it was only meant to be checked the wording is "visual alignment check" so one would think they wouldnt go ahead and make changes without telling me (since they charge for every little thing!). 

However you may be right maybe they decided to do the tracking and messed it up. Il let you know how I get on - definitely not paying them to fix it.

Hi guys!,

Just an update (if your interested at all). Took it back to the garage and they said it wasn't their problem - I moaned and moaned and moaned and they they said they will have a look. They have done a 4 wheel alignment and the issue is now fixed (charged me a "reduced rate" of 40).

Was funny at first because when i drove it in they said it was fine with no issues, even when they test drove it! Its only when I was in the car with them they noticed. Definitely not going there again!

• Like 1

Am I hearing right here you paid them a reduced rate of £40 for taking car back to get fixed?

Demand the £40 back or you'll report them to trading standards. The misalignment was totally caused by them playing with the tracking to start with

• Like 2

If it was fine before they screwed it up, then you shouldn't pay anything to have the issue rectified. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2017 at 11:17 AM, madmole said:

Demand the £40 back or you'll report them to trading standards. The misalignment was totally caused by them playing with the tracking to start with