Do Not Sell My Personal Information

dpick

Dpick

hi guys,

I have an issue with my 08 1.8tdi focus. when I accelerate I get an engine malfunction warning appear on dash.

I have been looking on other forums which point to a DPF filter fault. but according to Haynes Manual the 1.8 diesel doesn't have one and on inspection I cant see one.

sorry to be a bit vague but I'm at loss and don't want to send the car for expensive diagnostics if not necessary.

any ideas much appreciated.

Do you get loss of power when this message presents it self?

Get someone with a scanner to scan it and see what fault codes are present.

4 hours ago, Dpick said:

I have an issue with my 08 1.8tdi focus. when I accelerate I get an engine malfunction warning appear on dash.

My very strong advice to All modern car owners, is: get a scanner. The basic ones are safe, easy to use and cheap. It will pay for itself easily. There are cases where you need to get the codes out of the car very soon after an event, not when a friend or some garage gets a round tuit. Round Tuits are often in very short supplybiggrin.png (sorry, couldn't resist it!blush.png).

There can be dozens of reasons for the fault. DTCs (the codes) are not 100% reliable, but they are an important starting point for a diagnosis.

A fault on acceleration could be turbo related, or fuel pressure related, or a sensor like the MAF. But the underlying cause could just be a blocked air or fuel filter,  a split air hose, or a dirty or badly connected MAF.

1.8TDCI definitely has no DPF, so that one can, fortunately, be eliminated.

Are there any symptoms when driving, like hesitations, or missing a beat or two, or juddering under light to moderate load?

• Like 1

thanks for the reply..

no there is no drop in engine tone but slow uptake when accelerate. I have notice a lot more smoke when pulling away but I put that down to the cold weather.

6 hours ago, Dpick said:

slow uptake when accelerate. I have notice a lot more smoke when pulling away

One simple test is to just pull the electrical connection plug off the MAF (right after the air filter box). Some people have found it makes the car run smoother. It is not a long term solution, as it will put the EML on, and may limit max power. But it will help diagnose a faulty MAF as the car works better with no MAF than with a faulty one.

However, it is handy to have a scanner before doing this, it will be able to confirm the the EML is on because of the MAF removal rather than some other cause that may confuse the test, and can clear the code and put out the EML when reconnecting the MAF.

Also listen for any hissing noise when under load. Also have a look and feel around all the fat air hoses and tubes from the turbo to the inlet manifold, and for any visible damage to the intercooler. Leaks in the pressurised intake system cause smoke & poor performance.

The next most likely cause of both smoke and poor acceleration is a sticking turbo actuator. The error code you get would help identify if this is the case.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club