Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cam Belt Replacement

Matt ST Williams

Have just asked for a price from my local garage for changing the cambelt and any auxillary belts that work with it.  Have been told the bearings will need replacing too, i can understand that no problem.  I was also told the Water Pump MUST be changed at the same time.  Is this true or am i being taken for a proverbial??!!!!!

(Petrol engine / not a chain either! Sorry forgot to mention!)

13 minutes ago, Matt ST Williams said:

Have just asked for a price from my local garage for changing the cambelt and any auxillary belts that work with it.  Have been told the bearings will need replacing too, i can understand that no problem.  I was also told the Water Pump MUST be changed at the same time.  Is this true or am i being taken for a proverbial??!!!!!

As I understand it it doesn't HAVE to be changed,  but it makes sense to get it done with the timing belt.  I had my timing belt done for the first time at 90,000 miles and it was desperate.  I got the water pump done as well.  I think the labour is virtually free, you're just paying for the part which is around £60 according to eurocarparts.

I agree ^^^^

Best to get it all done at the same time as the pump is exposed to get to. Some cars run the pump off the cam belt so if the pump goes 6 months after the belt was done it's twice the job and then two belts! For the sake of about £36 off eBay it's mad not to do it!!

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

but if you buy a cheap water pump it might fail before the original one may have done.  i agree with what has been said about the amount of labour involved in dping the water pump separately at a later date (assuming it is one that runs of the cam/timing belt)

58 minutes ago, mac801123 said:

I agree ^^^^

Best to get it all done at the same time as the pump is exposed to get to. Some cars run the pump off the cam belt so if the pump goes 6 months after the belt was done it's twice the job and then two belts! For the sake of about £36 off eBay it's mad not to do it!!

Hope this helps.

Does the focus run the water pump off the cambelt?  Had my timing belt done 60,000 ago and will get it replaced soon as haynes reckons 62500. As I got the water pump done last time I was going to skip this time...but may change my mind if it runs off the cambelt??

17 minutes ago, stef123 said:

Your engine should be a chain driven one? not a belt.

depends on if its petrol or diesel 1.8.

Just now, iantt said:

depends on if its petrol or diesel 1.8.

I was betting on it being the 1.8 petrol but some info would be handy lol

On 2/13/2017 at 5:17 PM, Matt ST Williams said:

(Petrol engine / not a chain either! Sorry forgot to mention!)

You definitely do not have to get them done at the same time! However like the others have said it is wise to. Check the link I've added below - its what Ford themselves will charge for the job. Take it as a guideline so you know your not being ripped off! Some garages tried to charge me more than ford would have, I lol'd at them. 

http://www.ford.co.uk/OwnerServices/Motorcraft/Repairs/WaterPump-TimingBelt

• Like 1