Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Air in fuel system - cost estimate

Ryanj

Evening,

It looks like I have an issue with air getting into the fuel system (cuts out on first start, when it does start white smoke from exhaust, when I turn the engine off with the bonnet up there is a sound of air seeping through something around the diesel filter) this sounds quite air in fuel system doesn't it?

Has anyone had experience, or is a mechanic and can give me an estimate on price for getting the issue fixed? Could it be a biggy or not too bad a job?

Thank you, Ryan

Guessing a 1.4 TDCi? The cost should be very minimal if not free, air in the lines probably just means the quick connectors on the fuel filter aren't 100% seated - if you take the airbox off you will see the air in the line, usually one of the lines will have tiny bubbles in it. I would however suggest simply disconnecting and connecting the quick connectors on the fuel filter - is the filter an OEM one or an aftermarket one? Sometimes aftermarket filters don't always seat 100%. You might need to use an 8mm socket to remove the metal shield on the top of the filter to get to the front connector.

Have a go and report back, should be a very easy fix, if this doesn't cure the issue it might simply be one of the lines has a pinhole leak due to the age of the lines plus it sitting on top of a hot engine - they are also cheap to replace but suggest trying to reseat initially.

Hi @m1tch

Sorry it's a 1.6, its the zs diesel. I haven't checked the airbox you know. I'll take a look in daylight tomorrow. It's an OEM filter as far as I know, wasn't told it's any different when I bought the car. Thanks for the reply!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club