Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus 1.6 Timing belt change

Ford_lover38

Hey Guys,

My Focus is due a cambelt change soon (im told) its a 2009 model but has only done 58k miles. However the garage are "strongly" advising me to get it done asap. Apparently it should be done every 100k or 8 years?

What is a going rate for this? (I was thinking £300?) should I also get the aux belt done? I know with the engine I have the cambelt doesnt drive the water pump as its driven by then aux belt so I wont get the waterpump done.

Ford dealer price is £339 for cam belt only or £449 for cam belt water pump and auxiliary belt.

It's worth getting water pump done anyway for the labour saving especially if you haven't changed the coolant, you are probably due a change to save the matrix corroding. 

They told me cutting the auxiliary belt saves time for them hence no charge.  

I paid £550 (I think) with a aircon re- gas, brake fluid change, service and MOT

I called it my 50K service! I done 48951.

£550 for Cambelt, waterpump, service and MOT?! Which dealership was this?! Thats alot of bang for your buck!

Ive just had my MOT, Brake fluid, brake disks and pads, new handbrake and major service for around £650.

I had a word with my local ford garage about the cambelt and they said the same prices you did however they added £30 on for the aux belt which I thought was abit cheeky since you have to take the aux belt off to get to the cambelt! But they said the £30 was for the aux belt kit which includes the belt and pully.

A local garage quoted me £289 and £330 with the aux belt - which is only a tad cheaper than ford

The (2) auxiliary belts on this type of engine are stretch belts. An engine with stretch belts does not have belt tensioners. Stretch belts are made of a special material (compound) and can only be installed once. Ford prescribes to remove the stretsch belts by cutting them.

Reinstalling a stretch belt can damage the internal core of the stretchbelt. This can cause the stretch belt to break. In worst case scenario the broken stretch belt can cut through the timing belt cover and damage/cut the timing belt.

I've reused many a stretch belt without issue - let's be honest it has to be stretched to fit for the first time so can't see that it's doing any damage if you are using the correct tools. Even without the correct tools I've done it without damage befor using only screwdrivers lol. 

There a quite a few tool manufacturers who make the tools for different stretch belts, if they were not re usable there would be no market for the tools. Yes I'd recommend replacing the belt when you do the timing belt but there are times when doing other work the old belt will be reused. No big deal. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club