Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Number plate light clip ricocheted into the boot lid! Help!

samzs1

Hi All,

I was tinkering with the rear number plate lights (fitting LEDs in place of the standard bulbs) and one of the clips that holds the assembly sprung into the boot lid! I've tried using a magnetic wand type thing but no luck - I think it's in the middle section which is partially blocked off (at least that's what it feels like when I rummage around with my fingers). 

I could buy a new assembly for £16, but then I'll always have a rattle in the boot from the lost clip so ideally I'd like it out! 

Any suggestions? Has anyone removed this part of the boot (where the number plate lights are)? 

Thanks!

I doubt that a little clip will rattle that much that you'd hear it. As a suggestion consider complete led lights

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401171037466?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And cheaper. 2 minute job to replace.

Better  might be these.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232196730306?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by karl46
New ebay url

Think I'm going to go for the complete LED lights as you said, cheers karl46. If anyone has any suggestions for accessing that damn lost clip that's rattling around please let me know ! 

Any tips for actually getting the assembly out? I tried replacing my number plate bulbs but I just can't seem to get access. I have managed to loosen them but they won't fully come out to allow me access to the bulb. I see so many people saying its such an easy 30 second change but I cannot for the life of me get them out. 

Thin screwdriver like an electrical tester., point it in the slot and keep it as shallow as possible and insert into slot behind clip. Move the tool to the right to depress the clip and lever out.

Look at the photo on the eBay link to see what he clip looks like. The original one is metal and you should be able to feel the springyness and resistance.

This is a relacement LED light. it' the complete unit but shows the clip arrangement.

Unfortunately these have increased in price by £5 since last week when I bought a pair.

s-l1600b.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, karl46 said:

Thin screwdriver like an electrical tester., point it in the slot and keep it as shallow as possible and insert into slot behind clip. Move the tool to the right to depress the clip and lever out.

Look at the photo on the ebay link to see what he clip looks like. The original one is metal and you should be able to feel the springyness and resistance.

This is a relacement LED light. it' the complete unit but shows the clip arrangement.

Unfortunately these have increased in price by £5 since last week when I bought a pair.

Yeah I pretty much tried that already with regards to "unclipping" it but maybe I need to use something a bit longer/thinner and adjust the angle I go in at. I'll give it another go sometime I guess as I already have the bulbs waiting.

15 hours ago, Danny|92 said:

Yeah I pretty much tried that already with regards to "unclipping" it but maybe I need to use something a bit longer/thinner and adjust the angle I go in at. I'll give it another go sometime I guess as I already have the bulbs waiting.

Yeah I'm with you - didn't seem nearly as easy as online tutorials suggested ha. There's clearly a trick to the angle and movement as I had a good jiggle trying to get the clip free, I think I've landed myself in this situation by pushing the screwdriver "through" the clip and in so doing pinging it into the inside of the boot lid. 

Going to try the LED all-in-one units as a straight replacement instead.

• Like 1

Hopefully I'll actually be able to get mine out, just to see how white LED Bulbs look compared to standard. I may end up going all in ones anyway if the bulbs don't do the job. 

I found the mkV mondeo ones pretty similar to remove as you guys are explaining. I ended up getting one of them out but no idea how. When I looked at it and tried to reinsert it, the thing was loose and rattling about so I took it out again and just purposely broke the other one to save faffing about. One thing I would say @Danny|92 is that I would just buy new sealed LED units. You won't be disappointed in the difference between LED and Halogen, it's like night and day lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jonro2009 said:

I found the mkV mondeo ones pretty similar to remove as you guys are explaining. I ended up getting one of them out but no idea how. When I looked at it and tried to reinsert it, the thing was loose and rattling about so I took it out again and just purposely broke the other one to save faffing about. One thing I would say @Danny|92 is that I would just buy new sealed LED units. You won't be disappointed in the difference between LED and Halogen, it's like night and day lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I may end up just doing that, won't hurt to give it another go replacing the current ones but if no luck I'll go the brute force route and get sealed units.

• Like 2

Update: So I figured out the issue I was having. Firstly, I was indeed going into the little hole at the wrong angle. Changed what I was doing and managed to change the first bulb successfully! However, I discovered that the clip holding the unit in place on the other bulb is bent across and therefore there is no way to "depress" it to make the unit drop out :( So I'm either going to have to try and bend the clip back somehow while the unit is still inserted or take it to a garage or something and see what they can do in regards to getting it out.

15 hours ago, Danny|92 said:

Update: So I figured out the issue I was having. Firstly, I was indeed going into the little hole at the wrong angle. Changed what I was doing and managed to change the first bulb successfully! However, I discovered that the clip holding the unit in place on the other bulb is bent across and therefore there is no way to "depress" it to make the unit drop out :( So I'm either going to have to try and bend the clip back somehow while the unit is still inserted or take it to a garage or something and see what they can do in regards to getting it out.

Exactly my issue too. I was a bit forceful and got it out eventually by bending the clip - probably wouldn't recommend! The new light assemblies as shown by karl46 above are amazingly bright though, much better than the little LED I had originally replaced the bulb with. Looks great but also means you blind yourself every time you open the boot in the dark :laugh:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club