Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Should a outside tv aerial run down the roof

Michael9

Just that..

We got one fitted today and the guy put it (aerial) on the existing pole that's fine but then threw the cable down the slates and obviously down the front wall and into the hole where the original cable was and into the house. I expected it to get put inside the eves inside the loft like the original, now it looks unsightly should we get him back to fit it the way the other one was, this was seemingly reputable company her sister uses.

• Like 1

VERY unprofessional! Cable will flap about in the wind causing noise annoyance and chaffing, and nobody likes chaffing! :biggrin: and the fact that you say it looks unsightly says it all. Get them back! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael9 said:

Just that..

We got one fitted today and the guy put it (aerial) on the existing pole that's fine but then threw the cable down the slates and obviously down the front wall and into the hole where the original cable was and into the house. I expected it to get put inside the eves inside the loft like the original, now it looks unsightly should we get him back to fit it the way the other one was, this was seemingly reputable company her sister uses.

Interesting topic mate, 

I've recently taken the sky satellite cable off the front of my house.

the dish is mounted on the chimney, cable came down the tiles and down front of the house in to the living room,

It now comes down from the chimney and is clipped to the tiles on roof at the back of the house; there's a total of nine coaxial feeds coming from chimney down tiles at rear of the house; curling in then inside the fascia inside the attic, down through the hotpress down to a cavity in the kitchen and in to the living room.

Some installation people have a passion for installation and are generally all-around clean people.

Others are purly in the business because it's a job with a few perks and they don't have to think much.

My point being; getting the original guy back to do it again isint going to work because he doesn't have the mental capacity to be an asteticaly pleasant individual.

what you need to do is source another reputable company; let them see what way it currently is; and they will then happily do it the way you want it, to prove there a better company and they listen to customers.

My tv guy has left an old coaxial cable clipped to the chimney and hanging down the front of the house, he was supposed to come back but that was in October, I'm not bothered in contacting him again as it's really not worth chasing messy individuals.

I've now got an octo lnb on the satellite dish which provides eight feeds in to the attic which are spread 2 feeds to three bedrooms for freeview box's and 2 to the living room for pause and record on the Sky box. The terrestrial aerial is also on the chimney fed to the attic in the same way which is split to each room using an amplifier with sky smart eye bypass capability, the main sky box in the livingroom can then be viewed and controlled via any TV in the house so if it's not on Freeview switch to the main sky box. I've also run three CAT7 cables from the router in the living room to each bedroom for IP Tv reception. 

I've created a post here some time ago you may find of interest aswell: 

As said unprofessional to have the cable down the tiles as it will rub on them in the wind he should have clipped it to the tiles to secure it

• Like 1

Yea I didn't think so she said she'll phone them tomorrow

• Like 1

from chimney down tiles at rear of the house; curling in then inside the fascist inside the attic, down through the hotpress down to a cavity in the kitchen and in to the living room.
=615814&embedComment=615814&embedDo=findComment][/url]  

Sorry @Lenny but this sentence wins the internet today, 'fascist' lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

Sorry @Lenny but this sentence wins the internet today, 'fascist' lol

Well it just so happens to be on the "right wing" of the property aswell 😉 but that above was a type error, I ment to say "the fascia"

• Like 1

Damn autocorrect haha

• Like 1

There nothing wrong with a cable coming down the roof as long as it's held in place, loop of bracket lashing wire is made into a loop and pushed under the edge of a tile is normal practice, not sure how it could be clipped.

Most fitters will be reluctant to put the cable into the loft; 

A, how does it get to the TV without joining into an existing cable, I'd always run new to get the best signal possible.

B, getting into the roof is best by going in at the soffit, which still means coming down the roof, or going in under a tile, which you could make them liable if your roof leaks even if it's not their fault. 

C, his quote would have been to run the cable from the aerial to the TV, therefore he's going to take the easiest most direct route.

• Like 2

Webro WF100 is the best shielded coaxial cable out there for otimum signal 👍

Sat cable should be 75 ohm for best shielding and signal quality.
Standard cable is 60 ohm and has less shielding.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stoney871 said:

Sat cable should be 75 ohm for best shielding and signal quality.
Standard cable is 60 ohm and has less shielding.

I've fitted WF100 sattelite shotgun cable aswell 👍75 ohm 20160411_171821_zpslzordfgi.jpg

two chairs and a broom stick to roll it off the coil without it twisting 

20160411_171810_zpstuyymnvv.jpg

there's also 4G signal filters which block out LTE broadband interference 

20160906_132916_zpste7zihil_edit_1473166

• Like 1

On 15/02/2017 at 8:16 PM, Michael9 said:

Just that..

Unprofessional as you may think but in reality it's down to insurance And time allowed to do the job!

• Like 1

I know Sky engineers are not meant to put their wires into the roof space and down to other rooms, many will do it anyway though. This is because they aren't insured to go in the loft, in case they damage any ceilings or injure themselves, more so the former though.

They are also supposed to secure their ladders to the external wall if they go above the ground floor. Once they have done this they have to fill the holes with some substance and more often than not that will then stand out like a sore thumb. Once again they don't often do this because it takes time and they have to be in and out in a certain amount of time.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Jonro2009 said:

I know Sky engineers are not meant to put their wires into the roof space and down to other rooms, many will do it anyway though. This is because they aren't insured to go in the loft, in case they damage any ceilings or injure themselves, more so the former though.

They are also supposed to secure their ladders to the external wall if they go above the ground floor. Once they have done this they have to fill the holes with some substance and more often than not that will then stand out like a sore thumb. Once again they don't often do this because it takes time and they have to be in and out in a certain amount of time.

The funny thing is I've yet to see them secure a ladder on a 'no-fines' type house with external insulation lol. 

• Like 1

The guy that came out to our house said "I take it you would rather I didn't secure my ladder to the wall and leave unsightly repairs" I told him he could do what he wanted, I wasn't going to tell him no so that when he fell he could tell his boss I asked him not to do it. He still didn't do it though. Luckily I'm in a new build and when the house was built they wire sky into each room and put it up to the loft then there is a box under the guttering so an engineer can just connect up to it. The indoor aerial is up in the eves and comes down into the airing cupboard to a powered 8 way splitter which feeds each rooms wall sockets.

• Like 1

When a Sky fitter came out to upgrade my kit to the Sky Q setup he drilled into the wall and fitted an eye bolt to tie off his ladder.
I told him to leave it in place as it will be available to future fitters.
The bolt being there doesn't fuss me in the least.

Sent from my SM-G930F

• Like 2