Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Possible DMF failure?

Hellboy80

Anyone who knows me knows how much I worry when it comes to my car. Its a Mk2 1.8 TDCi and I got told by someone I trust 110% when it comes to cars its a noisy engine and it rocks when idle. It rocks but it doesn't move my key ring on my car but I can feel it. But it has done this since I owned it from Oct 2016. Its done 91k and mainly used on motorway as I do 50 miles a day for work.
Now my concern here is a possible DMF failure.

Yesterday it acted like it wanted to stall. It did once. It may of been me. Drove it this morning and it seemed fine. No stall issues. Pulls well and doesn't seem to be slipping. I would ask my friend but he works shifts and he has a little one on the way. I am 100% sure he will help me fix it but would rather ask you amazing people first before I go bothering him .

This video is just on my drive and idle. I have pushed the clutch pedal down during the video and gave it a little rev but apart from that it was left to its own devices.
From the video is there anything I should be concerned about?

Many thanks

Not sure why it has been displayed like this. I have just copied it from another forum and it seems ok on there

Fixed the formatting for you, can't watch vid at the mo.

When the DMF failed on my Mk1 1.8 TDCi it would rattle with the clutch depressed iirc, sounds like lots of loose bits moving around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Fixed the formatting for you, can't watch vid at the mo.

When the DMF failed on my Mk1 1.8 TDCi it would rattle with the clutch depressed iirc, sounds like lots of loose bits moving around.

Thank you. From the video it sounds like a knock but that could be normal. Hopefully when I get a few more replies my paranoia can stop

When my DMF broke got in the car in the morning after a long drive the day before and it wouldn't start.Called the rescue service out,the guy managed to get it going and I crawled to my local garage.So from this I would say one of the symptoms of a imminent DMF fail is not being able to start the car.

Sent from my iPad using Ford OC

DMF failing can prevent car from starting as explained: When the DMF is wearing badly it is creating a lot of swarf/iron filings. The starter motor has magnets in it (like all electric motors). the swarf and iron filings get attracted to the starter motor due to the magnets within it and clog up the workings of it (the sliding cog etc)

having a diesel creates a lot more worry than a petrol care due to

DMF,  the DPF  and the turbo.

However, I still prefer to have a diesel due to economy and torque, but I would probably have not bought one if I was not doing 350 miles per week

• Like 1

On 16/02/2017 at 10:42 AM, Hellboy80 said:

From the video is there anything I should be concerned about?

I was hoping to say no! But there did seem to be a bit of an irregular rattle beneath the idiosyncratic clatter of the 1.8.

This thread has a recording (at the start) of a much clearer idle rattle, which was the DMF:

Try getting a mike right down near the bellhousing to hear if it is louder there. Also removing the starter can reveal the filings, and maybe even get a partial view, with the aid of a mirror or snake cam.

WIthout the rattle (Which may be deceptive via the video), I would say that a near stall at pull-away would be the EGR valve as 1st suspect. However, it is possible that a DMF might interfere with the crank sensor, as it also contains a magnet, so can attract iron filings.

• Like 1

Listened to that video and I can't hear anything like that.

My mate said he can fit them though should I need one. Found a flywheel and clutch kit online for £320 and I don't think he will charge much labour. But before I do anything it has its MOT on Saturday. And until the noise gets worse I will not worry.

Already lost my hair through stress with Fords :D

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hellboy80 said:

Already lost my hair through stress with Fords :D

I have had 4 Fords now, and my hair is getting seriously thin!ohmy.png

But the other cars I had weren't any better, to be honest. (Hillman Imp, Triumphs, Vauxhall, so it is a bit of a hall of infame laugh.png.)

Yes, if your noise is DMF, it is a long way off the clear clanking in the other video, so it is not time to panic yet! Or at all, really.

Probably the worry that DMFs cause is worse than the actual failures. Every time I feel a bit of vibration on the clutch pedal when pulling away (& I do), or odd clanks at low speed or changing gear (often), I get palpitations & cold sweats. :cry:

The person who designed them in must have been a :whip: (He/She who enjoys inflicting pain!)

But unlike brakes, suspension or timing belts, this a something best left until it really does fail before replacing it, unless doing the clutch or gearbox anyway.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club