• 1000's Of Fords For Sale
      1000's Of Fords For Sale
    • Share Your Car Experience
      Share Your Car Experience
    • Huge Range of Ford Parts
      Huge Range of Ford Parts
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
      Savings Up to 15% Off For Members
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save


doriangh

Rear speakers not working

16 posts in this topic

Hi there! I just bought a used focus hatchback 2010 that has the navigation multimedia system, but not the one with the touchscreen, just buttons. After leaving the sellers city, 350km later in my home town, I brought in a friend I the back seats, and he immediately notices that the rear speakers do not make a sound. I didn't notice that when buying it. I contacted the seller and he said it should've worked. I tried resetting the audio/radio settings but to no avail. I didn't yet reset to factory settings.

So what should I do? I'm hoping it's nothing electrical and it's just maybe software. Factory reset and it's working. I've also read that some users have the same problem while cold outside. It's -5C. 

 

Thanks! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Are you sure the car even came with rear speakers from the factory my mates Focus doesn't, just has the speaker grille in the door card. If it does adjust the balance settings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

Are you sure the car even came with rear speakers from the factory my mates Focus doesn't, just has the speaker grille in the door card. If it does adjust the balance settings. 

To be honest, no. It does have the speaker grille, though. I will and post back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can be hard to tell, shining a light through the grille can sometimes help but taking the door card off will be best way to tell but can be a pain, @Lenny might be able to help with the door card removal if you need help since he's probably stripped his car more times than Ford have built them lol.  

Lenny likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ryan_Tango said:

It can be hard to tell, shining a light through the grille can sometimes help but taking the door card off will be best way to tell but can be a pain, @Lenny might be able to help with the door card removal if you need help since he's probably stripped his car more times than Ford have built them lol.  

Before removing the door, could a factory reset do it? And also, could something bad happen if I factory reset it? 

Lenny likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I just checked, it does actually have speakers in the back doors. 

Lenny likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing it had to have speakers in the back since it has the fader option. 

image.jpg

Lenny likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, doriangh said:

I'm guessing it had to have speakers in the back since it has the fader option. 

image.jpg

Hi,

Sorry for delayed response I was in work earlier, all focus have front and rear speakers, 

What happens when you set the Fader to full Rear? 

I assume you lose all audio? 

Factory reset won't do anything for you if the Fader isint working, 

And before we go further; do you have access to a speaker such as one from another vehicle or from an in house hifi system? 

If you do then this can be used to check the loom at the rear of the headunit to probe the terminals with the speaker cable and this will tell you if the headunit is actually sending audio to the rear; before you go taking door cards off which I can also coach you through as I've stripped the entire focus and fitted a 4,500euro JL audio system across a bank holiday weekend 

IMG_20141016_200047_zpsbb1snprl.jpg

IMG_20150616_131244_zpsauluthau.jpg

IMG_20150327_180704_zpsd7epex1y.jpg

IMG_20150327_180704_zpsd7epex1y_edit_147

IMG_20150327_115334_zpsrhrs1o7p.jpg

IMG_20150329_183034_zps9y05u7ox.jpg

Jordan99 likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Lenny said:

Hi,

Sorry for delayed response I was in work earlier, all focus have front and rear speakers, 

What happens when you set the Fader to full Rear? 

I assume you lose all audio? 

Factory reset won't do anything for you if the Fader isint working, 

And before we go further; do you have access to a speaker such as one from another vehicle or from an in house hifi system? 

If you do then this can be used to check the loom at the rear of the headunit to probe the terminals with the speaker cable and this will tell you if the headunit is actually sending audio to the rear; before you go taking door cards off which I can also coach you through as I've stripped the entire focus and fitted a 4,500euro JL audio system across a bank holiday weekend 

IMG_20141016_200047_zpsbb1snprl.jpg

IMG_20150616_131244_zpsauluthau.jpg

IMG_20150327_180704_zpsd7epex1y.jpg

IMG_20150327_180704_zpsd7epex1y_edit_147

IMG_20150327_115334_zpsrhrs1o7p.jpg

IMG_20150329_183034_zps9y05u7ox.jpg

Hi! Thanks for the detailed response. When I put the fader to all back, the front ones still play. That's the weird part.

And yes, I do have speakers to try out, I will open the console, but in the morning. Some hints to go along would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! 

Lenny likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, doriangh said:

Hi! Thanks for the detailed response. When I put the fader to all back, the front ones still play. That's the weird part.

And yes, I do have speakers to try out, I will open the console, but in the morning. Some hints to go along would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks! 

I'm off to sleep now as I'm in work tomorrow, I should be online tomorrow evening to advise.

before removing the headunit ensure you have the user manual in the glovebox because it will have a specific "stereo code" written on the first page or within it somewhere because if you unplug the headunit it will then ask for the code.

personally thinking here; since you have located the Fader setting and it's not putting audio to the rear speakers as it should, instead it's making the front louder, 

I reckon it's the headunit itself which is at fault and nothing to do with the wiring atall. 

but here's the schematics for the wiring at the rear of the headunit;

If you  put a cushion on the gear stick area to prevent scratching and take out the stereo from the dash but dont unplug it.

turn theignition to power it on, then probe the outputs on the top corner of the cable block; they are the speaker outputs to front and rear; 

Quadlocklayout110913owndoc_zps0ggj0lua.j

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Lenny said:

I'm off to sleep now as I'm in work tomorrow, I should be online tomorrow evening to advise.

before removing the headunit ensure you have the user manual in the glovebox because it will have a specific "stereo code" written on the first page or within it somewhere because if you unplug the headunit it will then ask for the code.

personally thinking here; since you have located the Fader setting and it's not putting audio to the rear speakers as it should, instead it's making the front louder, 

I reckon it's the headunit itself which is at fault and nothing to do with the wiring atall. 

but here's the schematics for the wiring at the rear of the headunit;

If you  put a cushion on the gear stick area to prevent scratching and take out the stereo from the dash but dont unplug it.

turn theignition to power it on, then probe the outputs on the top corner of the cable block; they are the speaker outputs to front and rear; 

Quadlocklayout110913owndoc_zps0ggj0lua.j

Hello again! I have just opened the head unit, and removed the connector. I've checked the speakers terminals from the loom, and the center terminals are between 10-14ohms, but the upper and lower one are interrupted. 

Lenny likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, doriangh said:

Hello again! I have just opened the head unit, and removed the connector. I've checked the speakers terminals from the loom, and the center terminals are between 10-14ohms, but the upper and lower one are interrupted. 

Hi mate,

Im not too well educated on the multimeter😅 ive used one to calibrate the amplifiers output once but that was following instructions in manual

IMG_20150419_175430_zpss6piqfsv.jpg

IMG_20150419_182307_zpsayz9m7md.jpg

So for my understanding mate; Interrupted would indicate a shorting somewhere correct?

And while we're here; are your rear Windows manual or electric?  

Easier to remove door cards if there electric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 7:15 PM, Lenny said:

Hi mate,

Im not too well educated on the multimeter😅 ive used one to calibrate the amplifiers output once but that was following instructions in manual

IMG_20150419_175430_zpss6piqfsv.jpg

IMG_20150419_182307_zpsayz9m7md.jpg

So for my understanding mate; Interrupted would indicate a shorting somewhere correct?

And while we're here; are your rear Windows manual or electric?  

Easier to remove door cards if there electric.

They are electric. Is there no intermediate way to do it, but to take away the door card? You think there's a real possibility of both breaking at the same time? And isn't there a place under the left doormat where all the cables pass? 

Lenny likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, doriangh said:

They are electric. Is there no intermediate way to do it, but to take away the door card? You think there's a real possibility of both breaking at the same time? And isn't there a place under the left doormat where all the cables pass? 

The cables can be accessed under the carpet next to the door sill inside the chassis, but to lift the carpet and get at them you need to take out the rear seat using a TX40 Torx to allow you lift the carpet 
 
IMG_20150327_113108_zps5n89sbvl.jpg
 
IMG_20150327_142711_zpsfq21gquz.jpg
 
Rear Left Speaker Cables:
IMG_20150327_141211_zpsieabl1vi.jpg
 
IMG_20150327_141905_zpsajv2ttiv.jpg
 
Rear Right Speaker Cables:
IMG_20150327_132613_zpssdvvdngj.jpg
 
If it was my focus;
I'd purchase some insulated crimp spade connectors such as these in motorfactors for few pennys👇
 
IMG_20130803_003810_zps0c9ce2da.jpg
 
now working at the rear of the headunit I'd leave 2" inches from the headunit connector and snip the audio feeds to the rear speakers and crimp them in to male spade connectors along with the front speakers, 
 
That would be 
"+ positive" front left & "+ positive" Rear left joined in one male crimp connector.
 
Again for "- Negative" Front right & "- Negative" Front right joined in one male crimp connector.
 
Basically your pairing up the left side of the car in to two crimps and the right side of the car in to another two crimps.
 
Then crimp female insulated crimps to the front audio outputs from the headunit.
I'm 90% sure all speakers will work without any issuses as the problem is within the headunit itself.
 
This method using crimps is the easiest solution to the current problem and can easily be reversed if you were to change the headunit at a later date. 
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you recommended, and as our mechanic said too, we removed the door cover from the inside to reveal the speaker unit. We first removed the left side and tested the speaker connector from the unit itself and it didn't show a reading. So it must've been busted and the cause too all problems. By before removing the right one, we tested once again the fader option to see if anything changed, and, to our surprise, it did! The right one played just right, and I could set the audio to just the right rear one! So we put the speaker in the trunk and went to see a electrician that specialises in speaker. We're waiting for his response.

 

Thank you so much for the guidance and the help offered! And in case here can't repair it, can you recommend a site where I can find an original speaker? 

 

Thanks again!!

IMG_1208.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, and this was the speaker connector if you're curious.

IMG_1209.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now