Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Sync Update

Luke4efc

So I've realised that Ford UK are useless and won't update my sync for me, so I've found the US version by signing up to their website with an American VIN. Long story short I have the US sync update downloaded to my PC ready to go (i hope). I am wondering if anybody else has done this and if it works or not? I have a 2014 Fiesta Zetec with Sync v03.00.09

If I find this to work and anybody wants the update for their car (I have downloaded version 4.6 using a 2014 Fiesta Titanium) then I will send you it somehow.

EDIT: Added some pics of the fiesta I used for the vin. Looks like the same stereo as mine on the inside.

9c6697a12e14550dace71e0c4a68b0c5x.jpg

f8cbae52fa94e033cd7f681a9d76352ax.jpg

• Like 1

Make sure you let us know how this goes 👍

somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I though v5.9 was the latest? I get mine off the ford India website just need to set up an account

SYNC v5.9

ABOUT THE LATEST UPDATE

The new software update for SYNC® includes all the improvements from previous updates, plus additional benefits such as:

Media

• Streamlined connectivity allows you to connect smartphones to SYNC® via USB and browse its content on the SYNC screen.48

Voice

• When you say, “Call <name>” the name will now appear on the SYNC® screen, confirming your command.
  • The voice command “Redial” has been added to call last number dialed.
  • A message on the SYNC® screen will let you know SYNC is either connecting to the last paired device or searching for a new one.
  • When you want to switch audio sources, you can now say, “AM” or “FM” without saying “Radio” first.

AppLink

• If you are trying to access apps through SYNC® AppLink™ and your device is not connected, SYNC will display a prompt, reminding you that your device must be connected either by bluetooth or USB for iOS devices.
  • If you are trying to access a compatible app on SYNC® AppLink™ and it is not running on your iPhone or other iOS device, such as an iPad and iPod Touch, you’ll now be reminded by a voice and screen prompt.48

The USA SYNC 1.1 hardware/software is different from the European SYNC 1.1 software. The USA software update is not suitible for a European vehicle.

However many other countries do also use the European SYNC 1.1 software. For example India, Malaysia and Australia. Previously it was possible to make an account on the Ford India website using the European VIN number and download the latest SYNC 1.1 update. However Ford recently changed the Ford India website and made it no longer possible to download the updates for European vehicles. Currently the Ford Australia website is the best option to download the latest SYNC 1.1 software.

Be aware that the older SYNC 1.0 system does not support updating from a USB drive. This can only be done by a Ford dealer. Updating from a USB drive is only supported by the SYNC 1.1 system (SYNC with APPlink) and the SYNC 2.0 system.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JW1982 said:

Be aware that the older SYNC 1.0 system does not support updating from a USB drive. This can only be done by a Ford dealer. Updating from a USB drive is only supported by the SYNC 1.1 system (SYNC with APPlink) and the SYNC 2.0 system.

Oh thanks for that. I think I might have sync 1.0 as despite being a 14 plate, I'm sure I've seen somewhere it was built in Feb. I wad after upgrading the stereo at somepoint anyway to get DAB (I know it's not the best but I could do with Radio X, 1xtra etc.). So I'll probably get the 2015 fiesta head unit

SYNC 1.0 can easily be upgraded to SYNC 1.1 by changing and configuring the APIM (SYNC) module.

The type of APIM module can easily be identified by the part number of the module. A SYNC 1.0 module has a part number that starts with AM5T. A SYNC 1.1 module has a part number that starts with D1BT.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

SYNC 1.0 can easily be upgraded to SYNC 1.1 by changing and configuring the APIM (SYNC) module.

The type of APIM module can easily be identified by the part number of the module. A SYNC 1.0 module has a part number that starts with AM5T. A SYNC 1.1 module has a part number that starts with D1BT.

I take it this is what you mean

20170218_114309.jpg

Is any reprogramming invloved with changing the APIM, and what sort of cost am I looking at. Surely it would be easier to swap the head unit? Or is the APIM a separate thing?

Out of interest why will they now allow this to happen in the UK? Is this some sort of deal with dealers to enable them to make as much as possible from selling such updates?

Also what are the chance of "bricking" the radio should this update go wrong? Is it a case of it working or not working, or can you get a partial update and then it bricks? Would be good if someone had a video of this process being completed.

• 4 months later...

Hi Luke

Did you ever get this updated?

I have the identical version to you 03.00.09

Did you update the firmware or get a new stereo?

Sad as it sounds I really want DAB and track listings on google

my fez is a July 2013 model

6 hours ago, robbrad said:

Hi Luke

Did you ever get this updated?

I have the identical version to you 03.00.09

Did you update the firmware or get a new stereo?

Sad as it sounds I really want DAB and track listings on google

my fez is a July 2013 model

Nah I gave up after I realised I needed a new sync module rather than a stereo. Might yet get a new stereo as I wouldn't mind DAB (I listen to absolute radio, radio x etc.), but haven't got round to it.

You would also need a new sync module to update and get track names over bluetooth. I use an iPod touch now that I permanently leave in my car, which is close enough to my wifi that I can sync new music over the air. That works perfectly and no need to faff around with bluetooth.

You would need a new stereo, wiring and aerial for DAB, it's separate to sync altogether.

Ford had new sync updates available to the uk for a week or so the other month, but it was quickly taken down.

• Like 1