Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Revs jumping but gaining no speed

Jonanstee

Anyone any idea what is up with my car. I can't accelerate without the revs jumping straight up to 4000. I have to very slowly accelerate pushing the pedal down only about 2/10 of the way 

15 minutes ago, JW1982 said:

that means it is time for a new clutch!

Should that have been something that should have been picked up on a mot?

how much am I going to be looking at for a new one?

36 minutes ago, Jonanstee said:

Should that have been something that should have been picked up on a mot?

how much am I going to be looking at for a new one?

MOT is just to make sure it's road worthy, what car do you have (Model & engine) 

I've had clutch slip on a Mondeo revs go flying up speed doesn't that was 300 quid. Suppose if it was on rolling road in garage when they brake test could pick it up but clutch slips is not a fail I think. Got focus now.

If I'm right it's going to be between £200-£400 try a few local garages or if you're mechanically minded give it a go yourself with a mate.

23 minutes ago, Ryan_Tango said:

MOT is just to make sure it's road worthy, what car do you have (Model & engine) 

I've got a focus mk2 lx 1.6 

ill hopefully have someone out tomorrow to give to give it a look over and a price. 

Will i I still be okay to drive it?

1 minute ago, Jonanstee said:

I've got a focus mk2 lx 1.6 

ill hopefully have someone out tomorrow to give to give it a look over and a price. 

Will i I still be okay to drive it?

It's not too expensive to replace the clutch on them likely will be less than £300, yeah just take it easy no hard acceleration and smooth gear changes for now.  

I paid £410 fitted for a luk clutch kit (2 piece) and a concentric slave cylinder, back in November, clutch £160+ £250 labour, only my slave cylinder went but changed it all since the box was coming out anyway.

32 minutes ago, wilto said:

I paid £410 fitted for a luk clutch kit (2 piece) and a concentric slave cylinder, back in November, clutch £160+ £250 labour, only my slave cylinder went but changed it all since the box was coming out anyway.

I will definitely not be paying that much for labour. I'll find someone to do it nice and cheap like I always do. That's the plus side of mobile mechanics ;)

I phoned a few garage's in my area and they were all coming in about the same price, never tried a mobile mechanic though. The garage that done mine was a friend of mine, and the reason I went with him is he recovered me when my clutch cylinder went completely and stranded me 20 miles from home, on a Saturday afternoon with no mobile phone on me, had to walk 1 mile to the nearest Asda to use a phone, and his business card was in my wallet.