Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Two problems

Lensmeister

Hi all,

Hope some can assist with these. I got my Focus in September 2016 and initially had no problems what so ever.

1. November 2016. I drove to North Yorkshire and after about 50 miles I noticed in my rear view mirror that as I accelerated what appeared to be white smoke from the exhaust. Whilst cruising at a steady speed there was no smoke visible but only when I accelerated. Spoke to a couple of people and was advised I may need to top up the oil. I did. After a trip up to HAtfield and back it seemed to stop. 

2. Earlier in the week starting seemed to be a bit of a problem and I put it down to the very cold morning. This morning I got in, turned the key to position II let the glow plug light go out and then tried to start it. It would not start. The speedo and rev arms both shook a bit but nothing. The battery is ok because the doors open and the CD player works as do the lights. The glow plug light flashes on and off.

So I thought I'd have a look under the bonnet to see where the glow plugs are. I have found a lot of oil all over the engine and a split in one of the rubber pipes that appears to spread oil all over the pipes near it and the battery cover.

Can anyone advise what  the problem is with the starting and roughly the cost of repair. Also I know the rubber pipe will need replacing and what the likely cost of that will be.

Thanks in advance .. 

Hi all (again),

Just dug out my U480 memo scanner from my previous Citroen Zara LX and tried it on the car.

3 faults came up under DTC:

1: N/A (thats all it said it also said pending for ages).

2: P0404 - EGR Flow CKT Range/Performance.

3: P1000 - Not listed in my book but on google it came up as  " P1000 OBD-II DTC (https://www.obd-codes.com/p1000).

Also having a bit of an issue clearing the faults to restart the scan.

Thought I'd post the split pipe ... What will one cost me I've seen one on eBay for like £16 and one on ford parts for £51.

16601965_10209856780310975_8280219596859234085_o.jpg

"as I accelerated what appeared to be white smoke from the exhaust. Whilst cruising at a steady speed there was no smoke visible but only when I accelerated. Spoke to a couple of people and was advised I may need to top up the oil.  "  I can't see how that could be down to needing to top up the oil

• Like 1

That split pipe looks like a boost pipe, can you take an overview photo of the engine bay highlighting where the pipe is? A boost leak can cause smoke, generally it's black rather than white though. May have just been condensation in the exhaust system.

As for the starting, just because the car unlocks doesn't mean the battery has the juice in it to spin an engine over. Is there an audible click from the engine bay when trying to start?

may be time for a new battery if it`s the original one in the car still, there not to expensive to replace.

Thanks guys.

I charged the battery over night last night and it stated up sweetly first time.

Image from the maula (its too dark to get a photo this evening. I'm looking for a part number or a link to the part if possible. I am on a budget so best quality at lowest price.

Thanks all :)  

pipe.JPG

21 hours ago, Mattw said:

That split pipe looks like a boost pipe, can you take an overview photo of the engine bay highlighting where the pipe is? A boost leak can cause smoke, generally it's black rather than white though. May have just been condensation in the exhaust system.

As for the starting, just because the car unlocks doesn't mean the battery has the juice in it to spin an engine over. Is there an audible click from the engine bay when trying to start?

Thanks. The smoke started about 1.5 hours into the drive to North Yorks but when I do local trips it don't get the smoke. I haven't done a long trip in a while though. 

It's a boost pipe pal go with eBay fords well over priced, was gonna charge me £55 for turbo pipe I bought blue silicone one on eBay for £30 n done myself in 10mins.

yes you will need to top oil up as when your boosting your oil is coming out of the split you should see spray marks of oil round engine bay where split is

16 hours ago, Lensmeister said:

Thanks. The smoke started about 1.5 hours into the drive to North Yorks but when I do local trips it don't get the smoke. I haven't done a long trip in a while though. 

If it's smoking an hour and a half into a journey, that eliminates the possibility of it being condensation. Get that boost pipe sorted and keep an eye on the smoke after that 👍

• Like 1