Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vetech Discs & Pads GSF Car parts

Albert27

Two questions.

Just had a price of £60 from GSF parts for Vetech Discs and pads, £12 cheaper than ECP 'Eicher' Discs & pads.  Are they any good?  

Secondly, am i right in thinking my front discs are 278mm?  I have the 2008 1.6tdci.

Thanks guys.

14 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Two questions.

Just had a price of £60 from GSF parts for Vetech Discs and pads, £12 cheaper than ECP 'Eicher' Discs & pads.  Are they any good?  

Secondly, am i right in thinking my front discs are 278mm?  I have the 2008 1.6tdci.

Thanks guys.

Another forum quotes that vetch GSF disks/pads 'can be hit or miss'. Personally, as disks/pads are all that stops the car from speed I'd use a 'good quality' part! (You can't put a cost on a life)

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Russ said:

Another forum quotes that vetch GSF disks/pads 'can be hit or miss'. Personally, as disks/pads are all that stops the car from speed I'd use a 'good quality' part! (You can't put a cost on a life)

Thanks for that Russ and you're right - i buy decent tyres for that reason!  What discs/pads do you tend to go for?  When we're talking about 'better quality' discs though, are we meaning they stop you quicker or they last longer?  If the disc size is the same would it actually make a difference to stopping power?

40 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Thanks for that Russ and you're right - i buy decent tyres for that reason!  What discs/pads do you tend to go for?  When we're talking about 'better quality' discs though, are we meaning they stop you quicker or they last longer?  If the disc size is the same would it actually make a difference to stopping power?

I just replaced my original Ford disks/pads for Brembo disks & pads from ECP last year, others on the forum use Pagid amongst some other brands. Some 'cheaper' disk/pads have been known to have brake fade, wear out quicker or squeal when in use.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Russ said:

I just replaced my original Ford disks/pads for Brembo disks & pads from ECP last year, others on the forum use Pagid amongst some other brands. Some 'cheaper' disk/pads have been known to have brake fade, wear out quicker or squeal when in use.

...and some hooky imports are known to miss the normal stopping distance of cars by metres...  As said above, make sure you know the provenance of the source....

• Like 2

if your on a budget , then  £80 notes will but you a set of mintex discs & pads on eBay ,  reasonably priced components by a  proven brand in the brake market.

never heard of "vetech" lol.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, biff55 said:

if your on a budget , then  £80 notes will but you a set of mintex discs & pads on ebay ,  reasonably priced components by a  proven brand in the brake market.

never heard of "vetech" lol.

Cheers for that, will look into it!

mintex are good, got a set few years ago for my old 2008 focus £50 for the pads and discs from eBay no probs at all, got a local garage to pop them on for me £30 job done 

these are what i got for my old focus...... eBay item number:360837576727

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, andypsp said:

mintex are good, got a set few years ago for my old 2008 focus £50 for the pads and discs from ebay no probs at all, got a local garage to pop them on for me £30 job done 

these are what i got for my old focus...... eBay item number:360837576727

Just had a look.  £50 - That's great value for a set of pads and discs! What I don't understand is they're cheaper than the GSF ones but better quality....how does that work?!

9 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Just had a look.  £50 - That's great value for a set of pads and discs! What I don't understand is they're cheaper than the GSF ones but better quality....how does that work?!

people used to think euro car parts were cheap, too many greedy companys out there lol

• Like 1

Does anyone know the the caliper carrier bolt size for my car?  Will i need a hex bit as with the guide bolts?

12 hours ago, biff55 said:

never heard of "vetech" lol

Don't they make children's educational toys lol

• Like 2

I haven't had much dealings with Vetech, or GSF in general but I have fitted one Vetech wheel bearing in the past on a VW without issue and its still going fine some 50-60k miles on. 

Thanks for the advice people.  Have gone with the Mintex ones at £50 off eBay.  Bargain! I owe someone a pint for saving me a tenner :wink:

2 hours ago, Albert27 said:

Thanks for the advice people.  Have gone with the Mintex ones at £50 off ebay.  Bargain! I owe someone a pint for saving me a tenner :wink:

just send me that pint over when your ready dave lol :yahoo:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, andypsp said:

He didn't say what it was a pint of :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, andypsp said:

stand down there soldier , i think you'll find the original suggestion for a set of mintex off eBay was posted much earlier , around post 6 in fact  ;-)

now about that free dink , i'll take a pint of babycham with slice of pineapple and a mini umbrella - a real mans drink........

• Like 3

1 hour ago, stef123 said:

He didn't say what it was a pint of :lol: 

Water, found in your tap, usually in the kitchen :tongue:

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, biff55 said:

i think you'll find the original suggestion for a set of mintex off ebay was posted much earlier , around post 6 in fact  ;-)

lol it was indeed, but you had put an £80 price on your post :tongue:

47 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Water, found in your tap, usually in the kitchen :tongue:

more like a nice pint of ice cold cherry coke :w00t:

31 minutes ago, andypsp said:

more like a nice pint of ice cold cherry coke :w00t:

I prefer to go for the Tesco own brand cola, not that I'm a cheapskate when showing my gratitude to others but that'll leave me with a modest net saving of £9.75 :wink: More than generous :biggrin:

Guys,

The Mintex brake box has arrived today.  Just opened the pads and there's three protruding metal clips on the back of two of the pads.  What is this?  I just replaced rear pads with 'eicher' and they didn't have these on them.

15 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Guys,

The Mintex brake box has arrived today.  Just opened the pads and there's three protruding metal clips on the back of two of the pads.  What is this?  I just replaced rear pads with 'eicher' and they didn't have these on them.

front and back pads are diffrent thats why, glad the box of mintex goodies arrived today for you matey :rolleyes:

• Like 1

The pads with the three protruding metal clips clip into the piston.

• Like 2