Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus MK 2/2.5

jjmaia

Good Evening,

I want to buy my second car in the UK, and now I want to something more recent and interesting. I have a 2002 Toyota Corolla, I like the car, but the 1.4vvti is slow and its showing its age. I bought it in April last year but I needed a cheap and reliable car and it was an excellent purchase, but now that I'm settled its time to move on.

I want the same size of car (its perfect for me, not to big and not to small), reliable and with cheap parts, and I arrive to the conclusion that with £3500 to spend, the Focus MK2.5 2.0 Titanium was the best choice (I don't want diesel, and the 1.8 is slower and has the same MPG). The only thing I dislike in the car (but with witch I don't mind living with) is that most of them have manual A/C. I love the looks of the car, 150hp should be perfect for the car, and the MPG is acceptable.

With the uncertainty of Brexit I don't want to spend that kind of money anymore... Right know my max is 1500, £2000 top. With this money I cant get e MK2.5, but I can a MK2. I do prefer the 2.5, but I don't dislike the MK2. My biggest issue is that I don't like first production units (although the Focus is very reliable), and it confuses me why the Titanium doesn't have cruise control, but the lower equipment tier has. CC is something I would really like to have since my car back in Portugal had it.

Although there is one MK2.5 on sale for this price, 2.0 Titanium, it has 150.000 miles. Converted to what I'm used to, that's 240.000 km! I don't exactly have a problem with a car with high mileage if it was well maintained, but a user car can always be a surprise...

I would like t have your opinion on the high mileage on this particular car and engine, and if you think the price (£1900) is acceptable for it.

Also, what problems should I be aware while looking at this cars with this engines? (either the MK2 or the MK2.5) I will lose some time reading the common problems sticky post

Thank you al for your help and advice.

i have never had a problem with high milers ether i worked at a few garages now and have seen a few high milers in that time. the most obvious parts are bushes and springs and shocks, the engine does take a bit of wear but with engine tolerances so good now to me its not as much of an issue.

i have seen cars with 400,000 miles on them still running like new because there owners took care of them

i have the 2l tdci 2009 and the only thing that's causing me an issue is the inlet air flap ( gets stuck in a morning and it does not open so the engine wont start until i give it a smack)

so the petrol ones i don't really know much about having not lived with one.

sorry i couldn't be of anymore help

• Like 1

2.0 Duratec HE will cost you nothing more than oil and gas if maintained properly. It's always a good choice to bring a mechanic along with you to check a used car, if you're not that familiar with things to check, or the seller doesn't offer you a service check before purchase. This engine should handle 400 000km without any issues. 

As far as the specs go, I don't know how was each trim specced in UK, but I think it should have CC and auto-climate if it's a Titanium. Here in Slovakia, CC was by standard in Trend (except "Sport" versions with 3-spoke wheel) and auto-climate was definitely standard in Titanium and maybe even in lower trims by the end of the production. 

I'm not that familiar with current prices in UK (or the Brexit impact on them), but if you're not sure with the quality, I would suggest doing the smart thing and don't buy it no matter what and save up some more money to buy car that doesn't look like such a gamble to you.

Thank you both for you awnser

On 22/02/2017 at 8:42 AM, J87 said:
i have never had a problem with high milers ether i worked at a few garages now and have seen a few high milers in that time. the most obvious parts are bushes and springs and shocks, the engine does take a bit of wear but with engine tolerances so good now to me its not as much of an issue.
i have seen cars with 400,000 miles on them still running like new because there owners took care of them
i have the 2l tdci 2009 and the only thing that's causing me an issue is the inlet air flap ( gets stuck in a morning and it does not open so the engine wont start until i give it a smack)
so the petrol ones i don't really know much about having not lived with one.
sorry i couldn't be of anymore help

You were very helpful, thank you. I think I will just buy a mk2 with fewer miles rather than a mk2.5, although I would only buy one with service history.

On 22/02/2017 at 0:01 PM, ScorpionSX said:
2.0 Duratec HE will cost you nothing more than oil and gas if maintained properly. It's always a good choice to bring a mechanic along with you to check a used car, if you're not that familiar with things to check, or the seller doesn't offer you a service check before purchase. This engine should handle 400 000km without any issues. 
As far as the specs go, I don't know how was each trim specced in UK, but I think it should have CC and auto-climate if it's a Titanium. Here in Slovakia, CC was by standard in Trend (except "Sport" versions with 3-spoke wheel) and auto-climate was definitely standard in Titanium and maybe even in lower trims by the end of the production. 

I'm not that familiar with current prices in UK (or the Brexit impact on them), but if you're not sure with the quality, I would suggest doing the smart thing and don't buy it no matter what and save up some more money to buy car that doesn't look like such a gamble to you.

In Portugal the titanium would have auto ac and cruise control, but not in the UK. Altough I'm used to it, I don't mind not having auto ac (the UK is much cooler Thank Portugal [emoji14] ), but the cruise control is something that I would really like to have. I think I saw a tutorial here in the forum on how to adapt, I have to check it. Another thing I would like is xenon headlights.