Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heater vents directional control not working

Dobbs333

Hi guys, I'm now to the world of the Mk1 Ford Focus having just purchased one for our lad as he's just got his first job.

It's a 2001 1.6 Zetec and all is well apart from the not being able to direct the heater air to the face vents or down to the footwell - it's just doing demist.  Can anyone help with this problem?

The temperature control works fine and I've replaced the fan resistor pack so that's all good, now just need to get the air going to the other vents.

Any help/advice/suggestions would be greatly apprieciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dobbs.

Most likely the spring cable has broken or become detached.
You need to pull out the radio and remove the dash fascia (4 screws visible when the radio is removed) then access the back of the dials from there.

Sent from my SM-G930F

I have a Haynes for the mk 1 at home, I'll try and get some more detailed info for you tonight.

Sent from my SM-G930F

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice, I'll be taking a look at the heater control cables this weekend and I'll let you know what I find.

Cheers,

Dobbs.

• Like 1

Hey guys,

You're correct, it's the air control cables that are broken. See attached photo showing one of the cables thats come loose.  I've tried to replace it but I think it's broken at the other end which is why there's so much slack.

Is there somewhere cheap on line to get a replacement or would you recommend a visit to a local scrapyard?

Cheers,

Dobbs.

20170227_153257_resized.jpg

From your picture I can tell that the cable is damaged as it doesn't have the full dial assembly, you probably unclipped it rather than removing the screw.

1201870_2.jpg

The Finis (part) number is 1105565 or 1201870 (depending on pre or post December 2001 build date)  and should be around £25 (pre December) or £36 (post December) from a Ford parts counter although both parts will fit as it will only be minor internal differences between them.

An online part source is available-

https://www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_air_distribution_valve_2001-2005_f_1201870_c_725.htm

19b888 Focus mk1 air distribution valve control.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the parts info - very helpful.

As was my local scrappy where a cable unit was £5 - now installed and working well.

Thanks again for the help and advice guys!

• Like 1

Glad to be of assistance.
Good to see you're all sorted.

Sent from my SM-G930F