Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Fiesta Mk 7 MPG

Chris Ecc

Mk 7 MPG  

476 members have voted

1. 1. What MPG are you getting out of your Mk 7?

• Petrol: 20-30 Mpg
    • Petrol: 30-40 Mpg
    • Petrol: 40-50 Mpg
    • Diesel: 20-30 Mpg
    • Diesel: 30-40 Mpg
    • Diesel: 40-50 Mpg
    • Diesel: 50-60 Mpg
    • Diesel: 60-70 Mpg
    • Petrol: 50 Mpg + (Really...)
    • Diesel: 70 Mpg + (Really...)

Hi , fiesta 1.4 TDI new in sept this year now covered 1500 miles . Doing 56 mpg acording to the on board computer I am quite dissapointed with this as my old 1.25 petrol engined car (54 plate micra yeah I know dont laugh) did 58 mpg .

Saying that I love the new Fiesta way better than the older models ( My wife has had most models over the years)

:blink: :blink: :blink:

Hi , fiesta 1.4 TDI new in sept this year now covered 1500 miles . Doing 56 mpg acording to the on board computer I am quite dissapointed with this as my old 1.25 petrol engined car (54 plate micra yeah I know dont laugh) did 58 mpg .

Saying that I love the new Fiesta way better than the older models ( My wife has had most models over the years)

:blink: :blink: :blink:

As has been said, individual mpg is affected by so many factors, personal driving style, type of jouneys, time of year etc, plus no two cars are the same. Was the Micra a diesel ?

mk7 zetec s tdci with city pack (if that matters) im averaging 49mpg and its slowly creeping up it spends most of its time at 60 (ish) flying about the b roads on the 50 miles to work and back have been looking at a soft remap to boost it a bit but dont want to void the warranty

mk7 zetec s tdci with city pack (if that matters) im averaging 49mpg and its slowly creeping up it spends most of its time at 60 (ish) flying about the b roads on the 50 miles to work and back have been looking at a soft remap to boost it a bit but dont want to void the warranty

That seems pretty poor - I've only had less than 50mpg twice and that was in the coldest parts of winter. These days I've been consistently getting 60mpg, I even did an experiment when I drove it quite enthusiastically and still got 55mpg.

As has been said, individual mpg is affected by so many factors, personal driving style, type of jouneys, time of year etc, plus no two cars are the same. Was the Micra a diesel ?

Hi Magenta in reply no it was a petrol Micra horrible to drive but reliable the reason I think I should be getting more is the fact I dont drive the Fezzy any differently than the Micra (too old and set in my ways )But yes I do agree that there are so many factors to take in to account.Also the engine is still a little tight but getting there.

hi inah and after your comment i am intrigued to know why there is such a big differance what sort of milage has your car done as i have only done 3500 miles in mine and the engine might still be a bit tight.also after reading through the comments on this topic i havent reset the mpg on the car computer which i didnt know you could do and i bought the car with 2700 miles on the clock so will reset it today and see if that makes any differance

That seems pretty poor - I've only had less than 50mpg twice and that was in the coldest parts of winter. These days I've been consistently getting 60mpg, I even did an experiment when I drove it quite enthusiastically and still got 55mpg.

hi inath and after your comment i am intrigued to know why there is such a big differance what sort of milage has your car done as i have only done 3500 miles in mine and the engine might still be a bit tight.also after reading through the comments on this topic i havent reset the mpg on the car computer which i didnt know you could do and i bought the car with 2700 miles on the clock so will reset it today and see if that makes any differance

hi inah and after your comment i am intrigued to know why there is such a big differance what sort of milage has your car done as i have only done 3500 miles in mine and the engine might still be a bit tight.also after reading through the comments on this topic i havent reset the mpg on the car computer which i didnt know you could do and i bought the car with 2700 miles on the clock so will reset it today and see if that makes any differance

HI ive done 1500 miles .This is done on a steady "extra urban" journey of 20 miles to Boston for work. It has not increased at all since I got it . :( I suspect that it is quite a bit heavier than the micra so looks like im on a diet again :D

My Zetec S has done just over 2000 miles now and is doing 56.4mpg at the mo. It spends most of its time sat on the motorway and dual carriages doing 70 or so. I'm pretty pleased with that for a newish diesel.

It is gradually going up as the car loosens up.

hi inath and after your comment i am intrigued to know why there is such a big differance what sort of milage has your car done as i have only done 3500 miles in mine and the engine might still be a bit tight.also after reading through the comments on this topic i havent reset the mpg on the car computer which i didnt know you could do and i bought the car with 2700 miles on the clock so will reset it today and see if that makes any differance

My car has done 26,000 miles - I started seeing real improvements after 15k

Resetting the trip computer won't affect your mpg reading (well, maybe the computer reading but not the 'real life' one! You need to work that out by brimming the tank and noting the mileage each time)

My car has done 26,000 miles - I started seeing real improvements after 15k

Resetting the trip computer won't affect your mpg reading (well, maybe the computer reading but not the 'real life' one! You need to work that out by brimming the tank and noting the mileage each time)

going by the computer after resetting the mpg it went from 48.8mpg to 58.8 mpg on a 100 mile motorway trip which sounds more like what u are getting

1.4 Petrol

11 plate

titanium 4 months old 4300 miles

computer says 33.1 MPG

mainly used for short journeys, but done some 3 hour trips to luton and back! and wales 5 hours and back

Ok not wishing to sound like a thicko,but do you get more mpg as the engine gets older. My cars 2 weeks old and I'm getting according to the computer about 53mpg,that's town driving

Ok not wishing to sound like a thicko,but do you get more mpg as the engine gets older. My cars 2 weeks old and I'm getting according to the computer about 53mpg,that's town driving

you may find once the engine loosens up a bit the mpg will improve slightly

37mpg 1.25 style + with 12000 on clock. Ok I suppose. Expect more as I drive like a saint lol

I've already noticed the drop in the mpg as the weather has got slightly cooler even though it's not really cold yet. From 37/38 to 34/35 mpg. Just shows the dramatic effect temperature has when only doing short journeys as I do. Mind you, it has still only done 6000 miles so things could still improve a bit overall.

Does anyone here uses 'Premium' Diesel ( BP Ultimate Diesel , Shell V-Power Diesel.....) ? is it worth it ? any extra power and/or fuel economy ?

tks

I now use BP ultimate exclusively, my average from new is 62mpg. I only used normal diesel for 3 gas visits with only the first being to gas up to full so cannot say if big power difference. However for lack of taxi rattle and hopefully the better benefits for the engine and DPF, I,m quite happy to pay a couple of quid extra per tank fill. Especially as to what I waste the rest on!

As a matter of interest, the display on trip computers on previous cars I have owned & driven have shot up to 99mpg (obviously a maximum on the display) when I have coasted (just as an experiment you understand!) after resetting almost immediately and stayed there a while. The Fiesta trip computer does, of course go right up but comes down within a couple of seconds. Does this different behaviour indicate that the Fiesta computer output is more stabilised,damped or whatever ? Is it more accurate than earlier trip computers on cars ? Mine reads about 6% high in general.

It will display 99% because when you coast......your not using any fuel.

It will display 99% because when you coast......your not using any fuel.

Sorry to be pedantic but that's not strictly true ! Even idling the engine is using fuel but it's obviously off the scale as far as the trip computer is concerned !

In another discussion on this point, someone said that the engine will use even less fuel by NOT coasting and staying in gear with the throttle closed. The reasoning being that idling uses fuel whereas on the overrun the engine is actually being pushed round and the fuel will shut off. Makes sense technically but this is not what I see in practice. On just closing the throttle on hills, the computer reading does go up but not as rapidly as if you coast. Maybe the computer is being fooled or perhaps the higher downhill speed when coasting is the reason ? Not that it really matters, just a point of interest.

• 2 weeks later...

At the moment im getting around 42-45mpg it goes down or up depending on how i drive, although i managed to get 52+ on a full journey for about 150 miles...but then it went back down gradually and im sitting at 45 at the moment.

But still 42 - 45 is the area its usually always in.

Driving a 1.25 Zetec up in Aberdeenshire :)

edit: car is on 7100 miles

Well I got rid of my Fiesta and got a Clio was told by friends with Fiestas (not on here but I imagine similar opinions would be on here) that the Clio would be just as bad on fuel as all small cars with small engines are but nope I average over 50mpg on the computer and when I do the same test using filling the tank resetting the trip miles and then filling up again etc I actually am getting over 50mpg doing exactly the same weekly miles as the fiesta doing the same trips I do every day. I am astounded at how bad Ford managed to make the Fiesta on fuel I really dont understand how it happens. I mean lets look at weight vs power

Fiesta - 966kg and 80BHP

Renault - 1090kg and only 73 bhp

So the Renault has more weight and less power to pull it yet still returns over 10mpg more! I cant see why it is so bad the Clio is taller and the Fiesta certainly looks like it would be more aerodynamic so I imagine that its to do with something Ford have gotten wrong. Valve timing? Wrong tyre/wheel size/type?

Id say the most likely is the gearing as the Clio seems to require noticably less revs to hold itself at 56mph than the Fiesta.

Its a shame because no car of that size looks anything near as good as the fiesta (in a nice spec) the Clio I have (Dynamique) looks better than the fiesta I had (Style) but a Zetec S would be better looking just about. Anyway not the point its a shame Ford have failed so bad this time.

Just got my car this week and have become a bit obsessed with watching the mileage on the trip computer!

I have a mixture of motorway and urban driving on my daily commute and am getting about 53MPG at the moment. I should say that I'm not really used to the car yet, having driven petrol cars exclusively so far. 2000 RPM seems very low to be changing up, yet that's what the gear indicator keeps telling me. This is serious support for a 6th gear though, given that I pass 2000RPM in 5th at about 55mph! Can you imagine how much better the motorway efficiency would be with an extra gear?

Does anyone know of any sort of 'efficient driving guide' for a TDCi?

Just got my car this week and have become a bit obsessed with watching the mileage on the trip computer!

I have a mixture of motorway and urban driving on my daily commute and am getting about 53MPG at the moment. I should say that I'm not really used to the car yet, having driven petrol cars exclusively so far. 2000 RPM seems very low to be changing up, yet that's what the gear indicator keeps telling me. This is serious support for a 6th gear though, given that I pass 2000RPM in 5th at about 55mph! Can you imagine how much better the motorway efficiency would be with an extra gear?

Does anyone know of any sort of 'efficient driving guide' for a TDCi?

Don't know the answer to your question but I have only ever had one diesel car in my life (now I'm back to petrol again) and I found it a very strange driving technique to be changing up at such low revs but I did like the enormous torque the 1.6 TDCI had. I would find the gear change indicator most irritating.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have only had my 1.6 TDCI (not Eco) for two weeks and I am averaging 54mpg according to the computer. Once the tank is empty I will work out how much I have really got out of it and see how accurate the computer is.

TBH, 54mpg is about what I expected. I have owned a lot of cars over the years and keep track of my fuel consumption. Gerenally, with my driving style and the type of journies I do, I get 85% of whatever the manufacturer claims for the combined cycle.

Ford claim 67mpg for the 1.6 TDCI so this would work out at 56mpg based on my 85% average and I'm not far off that so I'm quite happy! Will have a few longer journeys over the Xmas period visiting friends and family so will look forward to seeing how mcuh I can get out of it then...

Cheers

Rog

• 1 month later...

1.4 I drive quite hard some times i get 30 to 40mpg so im happy with it, if you want good mpg become a sunday driver and drive just like your granddad would

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club