Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Fiesta Mk 7 MPG

• Please log in to reply
415 replies to this topic

Poll: Mk 7 MPG (469 member(s) have cast votes)

What MPG are you getting out of your Mk 7?

1. Petrol: 20-30 Mpg (18 votes [3.79%])

Percentage of vote: 3.79%

2. Petrol: 30-40 Mpg (162 votes [34.11%])

Percentage of vote: 34.11%

3. Petrol: 40-50 Mpg (101 votes [21.26%])

Percentage of vote: 21.26%

4. Diesel: 20-30 Mpg (3 votes [0.63%])

Percentage of vote: 0.63%

5. Diesel: 30-40 Mpg (8 votes [1.68%])

Percentage of vote: 1.68%

6. Diesel: 40-50 Mpg (86 votes [18.11%])

Percentage of vote: 18.11%

7. Diesel: 50-60 Mpg (66 votes [13.89%])

Percentage of vote: 13.89%

8. Diesel: 60-70 Mpg (23 votes [4.84%])

Percentage of vote: 4.84%

9. Petrol: 50 Mpg + (Really...) (2 votes [0.42%])

Percentage of vote: 0.42%

10. Diesel: 70 Mpg + (Really...) (6 votes [1.26%])

Percentage of vote: 1.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#286 sambooka

sambooka

Sam Oglesby

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Name: sam
  • Ford Model: mk7 fiesta zetec s
  • Year: 2009

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

My car has done 26,000 miles - I started seeing real improvements after 15k
Resetting the trip computer won't affect your mpg reading (well, maybe the computer reading but not the 'real life' one! You need to work that out by brimming the tank and noting the mileage each time)

going by the computer after resetting the mpg it went from 48.8mpg to 58.8 mpg on a 100 mile motorway trip which sounds more like what u are getting

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#287 starman316

starman316

• Members via Twitter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name: Lee
  • Ford Model: fiesta titanium
  • Year: 2011

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:09 PM

1.4 Petrol
11 plate
titanium 4 months old 4300 miles

computer says 33.1 MPG

mainly used for short journeys, but done some 3 hour trips to luton and back! and wales 5 hours and back

#288 julieef

julieef

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Name: julie
  • Ford Model: fiesta

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

Ok not wishing to sound like a thicko,but do you get more mpg as the engine gets older. My cars 2 weeks old and I'm getting according to the computer about 53mpg,that's town driving

#289 cyb

cyb

Too much time on the boards

• FOC Supporters
  • 548 posts
  • Name: Colin
  • Ford Model: fiesta 1.4tdci

Posted 25 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

Ok not wishing to sound like a thicko,but do you get more mpg as the engine gets older. My cars 2 weeks old and I'm getting according to the computer about 53mpg,that's town driving

you may find once the engine loosens up a bit the mpg will improve slightly

#290 Luke Fletcher

Luke Fletcher

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Name: Luke
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Style +

Posted 29 October 2011 - 11:06 PM

37mpg 1.25 style + with 12000 on clock. Ok I suppose. Expect more as I drive like a saint lol

#291 Magenta

Magenta

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts
  • Name: Alan
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Mk7 Titanium 1.4 Auto - Marello

Posted 30 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

I've already noticed the drop in the mpg as the weather has got slightly cooler even though it's not really cold yet. From 37/38 to 34/35 mpg. Just shows the dramatic effect temperature has when only doing short journeys as I do. Mind you, it has still only done 6000 miles so things could still improve a bit overall.

#292 merlin

merlin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TDCi

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:54 AM

Does anyone here uses 'Premium' Diesel ( BP Ultimate Diesel , Shell V-Power Diesel.....) ? is it worth it ? any extra power and/or fuel economy ?

tks

I now use BP ultimate exclusively, my average from new is 62mpg. I only used normal diesel for 3 gas visits with only the first being to gas up to full so cannot say if big power difference. However for lack of taxi rattle and hopefully the better benefits for the engine and DPF, I,m quite happy to pay a couple of quid extra per tank fill. Especially as to what I waste the rest on!

#293 merlin

merlin

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TDCi

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:57 AM

As a matter of interest, the display on trip computers on previous cars I have owned & driven have shot up to 99mpg (obviously a maximum on the display) when I have coasted (just as an experiment you understand!) after resetting almost immediately and stayed there a while. The Fiesta trip computer does, of course go right up but comes down within a couple of seconds. Does this different behaviour indicate that the Fiesta computer output is more stabilised,damped or whatever ? Is it more accurate than earlier trip computers on cars ? Mine reads about 6% high in general.

It will display 99% because when you coast......your not using any fuel.

#294 Magenta

Magenta

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 08:48 AM

It will display 99% because when you coast......your not using any fuel.

Sorry to be pedantic but that's not strictly true ! Even idling the engine is using fuel but it's obviously off the scale as far as the trip computer is concerned !

In another discussion on this point, someone said that the engine will use even less fuel by NOT coasting and staying in gear with the throttle closed. The reasoning being that idling uses fuel whereas on the overrun the engine is actually being pushed round and the fuel will shut off. Makes sense technically but this is not what I see in practice. On just closing the throttle on hills, the computer reading does go up but not as rapidly as if you coast. Maybe the computer is being fooled or perhaps the higher downhill speed when coasting is the reason ? Not that it really matters, just a point of interest.

#295 Detrucci

Detrucci

• Members via FB
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Name: David
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec
  • Year: 2010

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:49 AM

At the moment im getting around 42-45mpg it goes down or up depending on how i drive, although i managed to get 52+ on a full journey for about 150 miles...but then it went back down gradually and im sitting at 45 at the moment.
But still 42 - 45 is the area its usually always in.
Driving a 1.25 Zetec up in Aberdeenshire :)

edit: car is on 7100 miles

#296 hula89

hula89

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • Name: Michael
  • Ford Model: '09 Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:13 AM

Well I got rid of my Fiesta and got a Clio was told by friends with Fiestas (not on here but I imagine similar opinions would be on here) that the Clio would be just as bad on fuel as all small cars with small engines are but nope I average over 50mpg on the computer and when I do the same test using filling the tank resetting the trip miles and then filling up again etc I actually am getting over 50mpg doing exactly the same weekly miles as the fiesta doing the same trips I do every day. I am astounded at how bad Ford managed to make the Fiesta on fuel I really dont understand how it happens. I mean lets look at weight vs power

Fiesta - 966kg and 80BHP

Renault - 1090kg and only 73 bhp

So the Renault has more weight and less power to pull it yet still returns over 10mpg more! I cant see why it is so bad the Clio is taller and the Fiesta certainly looks like it would be more aerodynamic so I imagine that its to do with something Ford have gotten wrong. Valve timing? Wrong tyre/wheel size/type?

Id say the most likely is the gearing as the Clio seems to require noticably less revs to hold itself at 56mph than the Fiesta.

Its a shame because no car of that size looks anything near as good as the fiesta (in a nice spec) the Clio I have (Dynamique) looks better than the fiesta I had (Style) but a Zetec S would be better looking just about. Anyway not the point its a shame Ford have failed so bad this time.

#297 hokers

hokers

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Name: S
  • Ford Model: Fiesta Zetec 1.4 TDCi
  • Year: 2010

Posted 18 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

Just got my car this week and have become a bit obsessed with watching the mileage on the trip computer!

I have a mixture of motorway and urban driving on my daily commute and am getting about 53MPG at the moment. I should say that I'm not really used to the car yet, having driven petrol cars exclusively so far. 2000 RPM seems very low to be changing up, yet that's what the gear indicator keeps telling me. This is serious support for a 6th gear though, given that I pass 2000RPM in 5th at about 55mph! Can you imagine how much better the motorway efficiency would be with an extra gear?

Does anyone know of any sort of 'efficient driving guide' for a TDCi?

#298 Magenta

Magenta

Serial Poster

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 19 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

Just got my car this week and have become a bit obsessed with watching the mileage on the trip computer!

I have a mixture of motorway and urban driving on my daily commute and am getting about 53MPG at the moment. I should say that I'm not really used to the car yet, having driven petrol cars exclusively so far. 2000 RPM seems very low to be changing up, yet that's what the gear indicator keeps telling me. This is serious support for a 6th gear though, given that I pass 2000RPM in 5th at about 55mph! Can you imagine how much better the motorway efficiency would be with an extra gear?

Does anyone know of any sort of 'efficient driving guide' for a TDCi?

Don't know the answer to your question but I have only ever had one diesel car in my life (now I'm back to petrol again) and I found it a very strange driving technique to be changing up at such low revs but I did like the enormous torque the 1.6 TDCI had. I would find the gear change indicator most irritating.

#299 rojariggs

rojariggs

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Name: Roger
  • Ford Model: Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Titanium

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

Hi

I have only had my 1.6 TDCI (not Eco) for two weeks and I am averaging 54mpg according to the computer. Once the tank is empty I will work out how much I have really got out of it and see how accurate the computer is.

TBH, 54mpg is about what I expected. I have owned a lot of cars over the years and keep track of my fuel consumption. Gerenally, with my driving style and the type of journies I do, I get 85% of whatever the manufacturer claims for the combined cycle.

Ford claim 67mpg for the 1.6 TDCI so this would work out at 56mpg based on my 85% average and I'm not far off that so I'm quite happy! Will have a few longer journeys over the Xmas period visiting friends and family so will look forward to seeing how mcuh I can get out of it then...

Cheers

Rog

#300 lodav2011

lodav2011

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Name: louis
  • Ford Model: fiesta titanium

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:43 PM

1.4 I drive quite hard some times i get 30 to 40mpg so im happy with it, if you want good mpg become a sunday driver and drive just like your granddad would

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users