Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car people put petrol in my diesel

richardc1983

1 hour ago, richardc1983 said:

I note the link was down to the owners daughter doing it.

Yes but that's not why I included the link it was this -

"You can usually get away with up to 10 litres of petrol in a 60-litre tank. Fill up with high-lubricity diesel (such as Shell V-Power Nitro Plus) and keep doing exactly that. Don't allow the tank to be more than half-empty for about 2,000 miles.

At first, the petrol will float on top of the diesel and won't get sucked into the low-level fuel pick-up. Then, very gradually, it will disperse into the diesel fuel. But if she put in more than 10 litres she needs to have the tank drained.

If any of the petrol has reached the high-pressure injection pump, she will be in trouble. You can't fill a current Ford, BMW or Citroën diesel with petrol because the filler orifice will not allow it. "

Obviously the last sentence is moot because Car People found a way lol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, avi said:

You can't fill a current Ford, BMW or Citroën diesel with petrol because the filler orifice will not allow it. "

Obviously the last sentence is moot because Car People found a way lol.

it was filled useing the funnel you get for it you want to fill up 5ltrs from a fuel can

the fact that the dealership willingly offered a replacement vehical with little effort from the O.P. , strongly suggests to me that deep down they know they've wrecked that engine in the long term.......

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, biff55 said:

the fact that the dealership willingly offered a replacement vehical with little effort from the O.P. , strongly suggests to me that deep down they know they've wrecked that engine in the long term.......

I just feel for the person they're going to con by doing a bodge job to get it out the door again!

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, GaryPL said:

I just feel for the person they're going to con by doing a bodge job to get it out the door again!

True, and it makes you realise how easily any car they sell could have had the same history, even a replacement for the OP's current vehicle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jmurray01 said:

True, and it makes you realise how easily any car they sell could have had the same history, even a replacement for the OP's current vehicle.

Indeed. The second hand car market is a nightmare!

2 hours ago, GaryPL said:

Agree, and even the most mechanically minded car-person has no hope in hell of ever finding out about something like that!

I totally hear what your saying as really I should be wanting rid. They are putting a whole new clutch in as well for the clutch issue for me as there is a separate post on the forum about that. The car is gonna be like new. I really don't think it's done any lasting damage and with good quality fuel and additives that I use I think it will be ok. It hadn't really been driven and broke down when I tried to start it so the diesel/petrol mix was still not strong at that point. They said they put 10l in. 

Your right, I could get one of the others yes, but who's gonna pay the diff, they won't and I'm not in a position to pay the extra and neither should I. Who's to say I'm not gonna run into problems with them either mechanically or stuff like software which have taken a lot of time and energy to sort.

New genuine ford clutch - costly job and good for me they have done it. Totally appreciate your concerns and input though. I am going with my gut instinct I guess here. I have 5 days left to decide what I want to do from picking the vehicle up. If I am not happy or I don't think it's running right etc.

14 hours ago, biff55 said:

Apparently thy have to offer this if the vehicle has broken down under the 90 days in anyway at all. 

13 hours ago, jmurray01 said:

This is what concerns me - at least I know they have done everything by the book - knowing what kind of OCD customer I am! They have now referred to me as an enthusiast! I'd rather be known as that than someone who doesn't give a dam about their vehicle. 

So I have got the car back, paintwork treatment looks amazing, car seems to be running smoothly  and starting with no problems at all. They did a service, however didn't change the air filter! What a stupid mistake when I queried this when I picked the vehicle up they went "oh, we didn't notice that, we will have to post you it out as we haven't got one in stock."

So nice to have it back though. 

5 hours ago, richardc1983 said:

They did a service, however didn't change the air filter! What a stupid mistake when I queried this when I picked the vehicle up they went "oh, we didn't notice that, we will have to post you it out as we haven't got one in stock."

That's one of the reasons I wouldn't let these (or other car supermarket) muppets anywhere near a car for service or repair. From past experience I wouldn't trust anything they say they've done without witnessing it first hand. Pray they used the correct oil assuming it was even changed, :sad:

Good luck !

• Like 1

Just now, avi said:

That's one of the reasons I wouldn't let these (or other car supermarket) muppets anywhere near a car for service or repair. From past experience I wouldn't trust anything they say they've done without witnessing it first hand. Prey they used the correct oil assuming it was even changed, :sad:

Good luck !

I agree, they've done everything they have detailed on the job sheet but its little details, so glad I have been on the ball with them as who knows what they may have not done!

good to hear the car is back in action and looking better than ever matey :w00t:

It is looking fab after its paint treatment - new clutch too so it's like new. It's got additives in the tank and I've got more to put in over the next few full tanks but generally I run a tank once a month with additive anyway. Engine is also really quiet.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richardc1983 said:

It is looking fab after its paint treatment - new clutch too so it's like new. It's got additives in the tank and I've got more to put in over the next few full tanks but generally I run a tank once a month with additive anyway. Engine is also really quiet.  

Glad you are all sorted Richard. Hope all goes well for you and you get many good happy years of motoring from it.:smile:

11 hours ago, richardc1983 said:

Well, at least you got the initial problem fixed anyway!!

It is a Ford at the end of the day, so there's a good chance she'll be fine for years without any further problems.

On 2/24/2017 at 7:06 PM, biff55 said:

4 hours ago, Ford_lover38 said:
On 24/02/2017 at 7:06 PM, biff55 said:

I've known people who've done this before and have never had a problem. 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club