Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Cone air filters- any negatives?

xpeterpx

Just curious but I am looking into getting a cone filter to replace my standard set up.

Not looking for any more performance from it but there have been claims that they allow the engine to breathe better?

Has anyone any advice on pros and cons to help my decision?

I also read somewhere that they could mess up a MAF sensor? 

Thanks

Main con is sucking up all the hot air from under the engine.

Some come with heat shields, but the important thing is to keep a cool air flow going to it, or it will perform worse than the standard air box.

39 minutes ago, alexp999 said:

Main con is sucking up all the hot air from under the engine.

Some come with heat shields, but the important thing is to keep a cool air flow going to it, or it will perform worse than the standard air box.

This is a very good and very true answer heat soak is a problem  does  and will happen make sure you have a heat shield and an extra cold air feed to eliminate this.. Also it will make a fair bit of induction noise a lot of people like the induction noise and do this mod just for that  you will have to try it and see what you think on that.You could try a panel filter  i.e. K&N that fits into your OEM air box that will give you better air flow with out the noise

Thanks guys.Just a long shot but could anyone please post a pic up of what would be the "ideal" set up? Particularly of a heatshield and cold air feed in situ?

Thanks as usual

Better performance than k&n for me, and much cheaper I used a heat shield. I get respect from  other cars on the road, though not from unmarked police car stopped me 2 weeks ago. Though this was mentioned on amazon on one of the reviews, the truth is that you are more likely to clean maf sensor when you change to cone filter as you can take it all off and take it inside your house.

There are different versions of cone filters.

RAM Air use no oil and made of foam. easy cleaning with hot water. no kit needed, and comes with lifetime guarantee.

K&N is a oil based and made for cotton gauze with aluminium structure. lifetime guarantee but cleaning is required with a kit.

Piper cross is made of foam and oiled. lifetime guarantee also but also require a cleaning kit.

Problem with oil based some say it affects the MAF sensor. K&N actually offer to pay for replacement MAF and ask you send you old one in to be tested. Most of the time the MAF failed because of another reason. MAP Sensor cars and not affected.

Cleaning kit are also a issues needed to be purchased if you wish to clean the filter Ram Air not require any oil and just wash with hot water. The issue here is after cleaning you over oil the filter which can cause these issues.

All come with lifetime guarantees so replaced if anything goes wrong.

Personally RAM Air is what I have and in my personal opinion is best and the induction noise difference compared to the others is better.(personally)

Oh and btw the Pipercross & K&N come pre oiled, and should last 100,000 miles before requiring a clean according to there sites.

• Like 2

Can you tell me what size diameter the Ram Air cone needs to be fit on the end of the standard induction hose?

Seem they come in different internal neck size

many thanks

Thanks will take a look.

Finally do you also have an oil breather filter fitted?. Seen some setups with one and others without? 

Wondering also if there are any benefits to having one