Do Not Sell My Personal Information

EGR

portobe17o

My 2006 1.4 TDCi has developed a flat spot when accelerating, not all the time, just occasionally. Any one know what could be causing this?

Some one has suggested the EGR may be the cause so I read up about it and found that you can buy a plate that effectively stops the gasses going into the engine! Is this a good idea? One guy said "the only thing the EGR does is clog up the inlet manifold."

Does anyone recommend blanking off the EGR and if I do will it affect the emissions at the MOT?

5 hours ago, portobe17o said:

Does anyone recommend blanking off the EGR and if I do will it affect the emissions at the MOT?

It will not affect MoT emissions. It certainly has not in the past, and while tighter controls are coming in over DPF removal, I do not think NOx is going to be measured, nor EGR plates searched for, anytime soon.

Blanking the EGR can improve general drive-ability, especially when pulling away. It should not have any impact on maximum power, as the EGR would be closed at this time anyway. Unless your EGR leaks, that is.

Intermittent flat spots can be caused by dodgy EGR valves.

However, if the EGR goes badly wrong, and stops operating, then the warning light will still come on, even if blanked. The ECU tests the operation of the valve. Repair or replacement of the valve, or a re-map would then be needed. I have had to repair mine a couple of times (electrical faults inside it).

Also on some cars, blanking the EGR upsets the ECU, and it puts on the warning light anyway. Plates with holes in are sold to cure this, but they are not really worth the money or hassle. They still let carbon through. The only way to remove the EGR then is by a re-map designed to do that. That will cost a lot more than a plate.

So certainly try it, and see how it goes. It would be very useful to have an OBD scanner handy, in case the warning light does come on. It is easy to remove the plate if it does cause problems, but it will probably be fine.