Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Blown off underside rear of car....what is it?

Albert27

Afternoon all.

In the strong winds today a piece of metal has come loose and was hanging down near exhaust at rear. Probs already loose but the wind seriously dislodged it further so I pulled it out. There was nothing holding it in. Pictures to follow..

My questions.

What is it?

Is it important?

How do I replace/fix it?

Thanks in advance.

IMG-20170223-WA0026.jpg

IMG-20170223-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20170223-WA0025.jpg

IMG-20170223-WA0021.jpg

• Like 1

its part of the heat shield you can put it back on with over size washers and nuts not hard to do :smile:

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, dezwez said:

its part of the heat shield you can put it back on with over size washers and nuts not hard to do :smile:

What's it protecting from heat?

If the bolts i saw up in the space are for it - and looking at the size of the holes, maybe it's just rusted away.  In that case, would i need a new one?  

If not, Can you give me a a link to the type of washers/nuts you mean? 

Cheers mate!

• Like 1

it protects the rear floor from the heat of the exhaust no need to renew it just put bigger washer than the holes in it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-Stainless-Steel-Penny-Repair-Mudguard-Big-Washers-ALL-SIZES-IN-STOCK-/332058482169?var=541091113396&hash=item4d503a55f9:m:m54P3EUQiGTEUPWr6_4CZ1wand re fix it

• Like 2

you will probley be Able to see the nut type fitting that hold it on as heat shield holes get bigger and it fall off

the car just turn them to remove them

24 minutes ago, dezwez said:

it protects the rear floor from the heat of the exhaust no need to renew it just put bigger washer than the holes in it http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A2-Stainless-Steel-Penny-Repair-Mudguard-Big-Washers-ALL-SIZES-IN-STOCK-/332058482169?var=541091113396&hash=item4d503a55f9:m:m54P3EUQiGTEUPWr6_4CZ1wand re fix it

Thanks for that Dez.  Finally is it ok to drive with it off for a week or so while i wait for the washers?  If not i could try and wedge it up there temporarily.........

• Like 1

its will fine to drive without it some members actually take it off and leave it off  I put mine back on as its part of the car :smile:

• Like 2

similar heatshield fell off on my wife's mazda2, same thing happened, it corroded away where the bolts washers were holding it on, hence the big holes. as said above it can be refitted using bigger washers (washers which are bigger then the holes in it). i did not bother refitting it on the mazda2. it seemed just to stop the heat getting to the boot floor. i suppose in theory the heat might shorten the life of the spare tyre by a microscopic percentage or make your frozen food shopping defrost. old cars did not have these.

it might be worth checking you don't have any pipes / hoses for brakes / petrol very close by.

• Like 1

I've had all my heat shilds off for a good 6 months or so now. No problems at all so you will be fine leaving it off :)

• Like 1

It must actually do something or Ford wouldn't go through the cost of making one and fitting it to every car

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, madmole said:

It must actually do something or Ford wouldn't go through the cost of making one and fitting it to every car

I agree with the logic so although it's off temporarily, I've bought the washers and am going for the fix next week. 

As always, thanks for all the advice people!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, madmole said:

I recon this heat shield is needed but only in extreme conditions that  this spec of model might see.

This could be a long steep hill climb at close to full throttle in 35 to 40 C ambients, then a stop at the top. You will have a really hot exhaust system right to the tailpipe radiating and convecting considerable heat affecting nearby components.

Since you and I are unlikely to do this in the near future I would not rush to refit it.

ScaniaPBman.

Do a regen on a car with a dpf and no heat shields and let us know how long it takes the carpets to start smoking lol

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I had to go under my mk2 yesterday and noticed a very loose heatsheild, and a corroded exhaust bracket to go with it 😩

I did start to notice a little knock coming from underneath on acceleration Friday...

1 minute ago, Commencal24 said:

I had to go under my mk2 yesterday and noticed a very loose heatsheild, and a corroded exhaust bracket to go with it 😩

I did start to notice a little knock coming from underneath on acceleration Friday...

both can be easily fixed so nothing to worry about, the knocking was the heat shield  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, andypsp said:

both can be easily fixed so nothing to worry about, the knocking was the heat shield  

Had all the bits to sort the issues today but the torrential rain all day put an end to that.

2 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

Had all the bits to sort the issues today but the torrential rain all day put an end to that.

weather should be better this week so it will be all systems go for you then matt :rolleyes:

Hope so, I had loads planned for today, made my template for the additional boot light, purchased led side lights to fit and I couldn't do any of it 😕

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Managed to get two of the jumbo washers on the car but the third heat shield bolt is rounded off.  Have put some plus gas on it and will try the hammer and mole grips trick this afternoon.  What size are they and where would i get a replacement one?  It's like a nut and washer all in one..........

52 minutes ago, Albert27 said:

Update:

Managed to get two of the jumbo washers on the car but the third heat shield bolt is rounded off.  Have put some plus gas on it and will try the hammer and mole grips trick this afternoon.  What size are they and where would i get a replacement one?  It's like a nut and washer all in one..........

The third bolt on mine was completely corroded, used mole grips to get it off, was a nightmare to find a replacement bolt 

6 minutes ago, Commencal24 said:

The third bolt on mine was completely corroded, used mole grips to get it off, was a nightmare to find a replacement bolt 

Couldn't get it off so what I've done as a temporary fix is to screw a nut over the thread that was left and over the rounded off nut. The jumbo washer moves a little but  I think it will be enough to hold it in place! So heat shield is back in.  Did you use standard mole grips?  I've seen these and just wondered if they are superior for rounded nuts and be worth investing in.......  https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Spanners-Wrenches/Toolzone-18-STILSONS-PIPE-WRENCH/B001O5M1ZC

On 24/02/2017 at 6:34 PM, madmole said:

All manufacturers use them, not just Ford! It's caused because the 'shield' is aluminium and the nuts are pressed steel so being under the car, road salt, chemical reaction (yadda yadda) causes them to corrode. Some people just cut washers out of an aluminium Coke can and buy new nuts to refit them but as others have already stated they can be safely removed and left off! Take the car to a garage and chances are they'll just rip the part off and ditch it like my local garage did on my fiesta mk6 when I had this happen. 

On 18/03/2017 at 2:48 PM, Albert27 said:

Couldn't get it off so what I've done as a temporary fix is to screw a nut over the thread that was left and over the rounded off nut. The jumbo washer moves a little but  I think it will be enough to hold it in place! So heat shield is back in.  Did you use standard mole grips?  I've seen these and just wondered if they are superior for rounded nuts and be worth investing in.......  https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Spanners-Wrenches/Toolzone-18-STILSONS-PIPE-WRENCH/B001O5M1ZC

Yeah I used standard mole grips as only had half a nut to grip on to.

So long as your heatsheild doesn't rattle about I think you'll be all good 👍🏼

• Like 1

The same heat shield has been hanging down underneath my ZS for a year now, I've just not got around to fixing it. It was an advisory on the MOT, I'll let the garage fix it when it goes in for its service in a couple of weeks. 

I have seen some people just cut up a Coke can, layer it and use that as an oversized washer. 

An oversize washer of tigerseal is what I use depending on the situation. 

• Like 1