Do Not Sell My Personal Information
The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

How has Doris effected your day

AlexBartlam

As us brits love to moan about the weather how has lovely little old lady storm Doris effected your day, mine may be ruined at 5pm when i finish work as the only spot left was next to tall bushes and a tree, all iv done is watch leaves and lamp posts sway in the wind as iv been listening about Doris all over Britain on the news on radio.

Thankfully not much. Though somehow it apparently managed to cover my car in dirty water droplets from a nearby construction site where I park at work, which is a good 50-75 meters away!

Local BP stations advertising banner flew off and started running away.

The worst is at home - the rubber door seals are old, and don't create a perfect seal. So constant and loud whistling noise all day, all night. Not to mention losing lots of heat. :rolleyes1:

Best day of the week so far up here! :biggrin:

We had it a bit rough yesterday though, peak wind speed on my weather station was 52mph, today's was 18mph! Speed showing between 0 and 5mph now. 

Some of the roof in work came off.The new bit of roof as well.The flintshire bridge was closed also but we did have winds of up to 70mph so had to go gome the long way around.

Just another day in Scotland really :lol: 

ive been outside in the snow fixing an Audi A2. Fitting new brake hoses, Spring and CV joint. All good fun. 

• Like 1

Just tired of people saying how bad it is really, just a bit of wind and rain really.

• Like 1

I worked from home today (as I do occasionally, not because of the storm), however I do feel slightly lucky.  A massive tree came down on my route to work and I would have been there at the time it came down.  So give or take a couple of minutes, my courtesy car could have been flattened with me in it!

got home today to find our fence had blown over but my auto glym chamey and micro fiber cloths i had put out a week ago were still hanging strong and completely dry.

I'm in between Kevin and Stef (geographically that is, not in any other way!! :ohmy:), and can report much the same that yesterday was a wee bit windy but nothing special, and today was normal.  It'll take a lot more than a few gusts of wind and a blown over fence to change my life! 

If anything, the winds at night actually help me sleep better somehow.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jmurray01 said:

If anything, the winds at night actually help me sleep better somehow.

Mrs Turvey and me agree with that but I think in Mrs T's case it's because it covers the sound of my snoring! :biggrin: Personally I like hearing rain lashing on the window when I'm tucked up nice and warm in bed! 

It peaked in the south east during the day though. A wind strong enough to uproot trees is a strong wind in anyone's book! And if it's doing that at rush hour, it's potentially pretty dangerous.

1 minute ago, Turvey said:

Mrs Turvey and me agree with that but I think in Mrs T's case it's because it covers the sound of my snoring! :biggrin: Personally I like hearing rain lashing on the window when I'm tucked up nice and warm in bed! 

Indeed!  Not so nice when it is still lashing rain and you have to go out to your car for work in the morning though... :laugh:

nightmare!! m6 closed due to fallen tree , had to divert through cannock etc, but my ford sat nav decided to take me on very narrow lanes through edge of peak district high up, that was concerning as we apeared to be the only ones up there. lol should have took a map and not rely on sat nav.

Not so good here. After trying to get out of my car after parking up, my door slipped out of my hands and smacked wide open. Heard some sort of crack from the hinges, but it was too windy to investigate further. Will have a better look tomorrow. :/

2 minutes ago, Tezz Zilla said:

Not so good here. After trying to get out of my car after parking up, my door slipped out of my hands and smacked wide open. Heard some sort of crack from the hinges, but it was too windy to investigate further. Will have a better look tomorrow. :/

Probably broke the check strap, which stops the door from opening more than intended.  The one on the drivers door of my 405 has been broken since I bought it, and it doesn't cause any problems but you have to be careful it doesn't swing open, or else it could hit the wing and/or bend the hinges.

Just now, jmurray01 said:

Probably snapped the check strap, which stops the door from opening more than intended.  The one on the drivers door of my 405 has been broken since I bought it, and it doesn't cause any problems but you have to be careful it doesn't swing open, or else it could hit the wing and/or bend the hinges.

Yeah man, hopefully it's nothing too serious. I did have a quick look around the door to check for any dents/scratches etc. Didn't notice anything and the door seems to close okay. Cheers for the info though!

told my partner to hold on to door tight when opening car door earlier, we are staying at a country inn in middle of nowhere and got a hot tub in the garden of our room. didnt need the pump switching on to create waves!! lol . 40c water and 2c air temp with sleet showers. what was she thinking booking this.

9 minutes ago, iantt said:

told my partner to hold on to door tight when opening car door earlier, we are staying at a country inn in middle of nowhere and got a hot tub in the garden of our room. didnt need the pump switching on to create waves!! lol . 40c water and 2c air temp with sleet showers. what was she thinking booking this.

Sorry Ian, but the picture I have in my head of you two sitting in a hot tub in the middle of a storm with sleet showers is hilarious!! :laugh:

Perhaps head indoors watch TV instead...

• Like 1

I temporarily and surprisingly lost a hat, not a hat with an extensive brim, that would've been quite likely in such wind; but a beanie hat of all things!:wacko: A slightly strong gust lifted it off my head and deposited in the field next to the path:ohmy:  Which was full of pigs:huh:

i did recover it, it's now in the washing machine (having a 2nd wash) as it landed amongst the pigs with their freshly laid sticky manure:ohmy:.  The manure actually prevented it from being blown right across the field, it was sort of glued where it fell:unsure::smile:

Climbing through a barbed wire fence when you don't have full use of your right knee, provided the pigs and Pipper with a pure comedy gold moment.  I fell down face forwards twice, as it  involved forwards thrusting on my right knee as i propelled myself through the gap between the wires.  I've got no power in my forward thrusts at the moment and am liable to topple:laugh:

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club