Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MOT advisories advice

LIAMSAFC

Hi everyone, had MOT done on Monday, failed on its front discs and pads, went to NPA to get replacement ones for £54, do you reckon that's a fair price for new disks and pads or is there other cheaper places/companies to get new parts? the only 2 companies i know that supply new car parts are Euro car parts and NPA. Got the new disks and pads fitted on Wednesday by a family friend for £20. Took it down for it's retest on the same day and thankfully it passed. There are still 2 advisories left to sort out. The first one is i need a new silencer/back box (same thing right?). I've had a look on Euro car parts and they have ones for £30, do you guys think that's a fair price or do you think i'll get a new replacement one somewhere else? the other advisory is that the n/s and o/s/r handbrake cables corroded. The family friend who done by discs and pads said that to fix the corroded handbrake cables all that's needed is a spray can of (can't remember the full name but i remember he said copper something) he said if i spray it on the cables all the rot/rust will come off but will reinforce/strengthen the cables, therefore no replacement parts needed. Does what he's told me sound right to you or will i actually need to order some replacement cables? anyone had similar problems? is it not as easy as that to fix these? will it be an expensive job? thanks.

• Like 1

i think you have got a good deal on all that you bought as for the spray its wd 40 or copper grease :smile:

• Like 1

I always check with Carparts4less before I buy replacement parts.   Had a couple of batteries off them over the years and they are very reasonable.

• Like 1

our family 2007 fiesta had advisory on rusty hand brake cables, on the bit by the rear brake plate. when I had a look I found that the plastic that protects the inner cable was all splitting due to corrosion underneath it. I trimmed the protective plastic off with a craft knife. The cable was in good order with just a bit of surface corrosion, no broken strands. I gave it a coating of copper grease.  where the inner goes into the outer cable ahead of the brakeplate you need to make sure the edge of where you trim the plastic is not catching when the cable goes in and out otherwise it will probably ruck up the plastic and cause it not to release as well as it should when you release the handbrake. 

I thought it was better to trim the plastic off as once the corrosion and damp is underneath the plastic, the plastic probably does more harm that good as it holds the damp in and less likely to ever dry out.

re "but will reinforce/strengthen the cables" there is nothing that will reinforce / strengthen a cable, but slowing down/preventing further decay is achievable.

Re the exhaust silencer/back box. the back box is a silencer but some cars have more than one silencer along the length of the exhaust. I do not know what yours has. our 2007 fiesta diesel 1.6tdci only has one but I know some earlier ones with same engine had two, a back box and a smaller one half way along.  Silencers vary a lot in quality. I have known some only last 2 or 3 years. Our 2007 fiesta diesel 1.6tdci had to have a new back box when 5 years old, but our 2001 Focus petrol still had original exhaust on it when we sold it at 14 years old.

• Like 1