Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2008, 1.25 Zetec clutch

BR36
聽Share

Hi, what kind of DIY job is a clutch replacement on聽one of these?聽Sons had the car a month and showing signs of worn clutch (high bite point, occasional slipping in 1st). 聽聽

Did my sisters Ka a couple of years ago and was a bit of a pain for some reason馃槙

Actually not that bad lol. Couldn't tell you how long it takes me to do one but I've done a few now. Straight forward enough, biggest issue is splitting the ball joints but even then..聽

Hi, thanks for the reply.聽

Wrong time of year really as I'll have to do it on the driveway....typical. Will reserve myself a dry Saturday聽to do it.

About 拢100 for the kit including CSC?

Have you got one of those DIY garages near you? 聽They supply tools, winches, lifts, etc. And somewhere dry! 聽They aren't expensive either and some open throughout the night.

A dry day, that would be a dream come true for me haha.

yes I paid around 拢100 for the last 3 piece kit, LuK I think.聽

I normally opt to replace the gearbox oil seals as I've seen them start to weep once disturbed. It's an ideal time to replace the gearbox oil though when the box is out as there is no drain plug and you will loose some when you pull the driveshafts out anyway.聽

Thanks for the replies guys.聽

No garages for rent around here so it's blue fingers in the driveway for me馃槙

Good advice on the seals, I'll do those at the same time.聽

I'm only taking his description of the problem to draw conclusions at present, will drive it today to see for myself if it's terminal or I can't wait a few weeks for better weather. He said it slipped once in 1st out of the blue yesterday, "smelt funny" and聽the bite point went from 'normal' to high straight afterwards. This聽seems a bit sudden to me, I'd expect it to slip in higher gears first and for the聽bite point to聽change over time. It's only got 78k on but of course all of those could have been town miles.聽

it might be that something broke suddenly. Years ago I had an Opel Kadett (the one that was a bit like a Chevette coupe). Clutch problems on that turned out to be the fulcrum ring (part of the pressure plate) broke.

And also many years ago on my wife's Mk1 Fiesta the clutch spring (part of the pressure plate) broke.

I fixed both of these myself so saw the problem with my own eyes. I think both of these are rare things to happen, but it's proof that something can suddenly go, as opposed to gradual over time with wear

Hi all,

I've been out in the car today and the clutch biting point seems to vary (seems it's been that way since he first noticed on Friday). Also, when you change from 2nd to 3rd, dropping clutch聽keenly afterwards, there's a brief "eech" noise. Careful changing doesn't cause the noise at all.

No actual sign of clutch slip whilst I was driving (tried harsh acceleration in low gears聽and high gears聽聽at low speed).

I'm suspecting the CSC and think I might leave it until it gets worse (and warmer/drier weather), any thoughts?

We bought it from a (not main) dealer and it came with an independent warranty which appears to cover the CSC but not the labour to fit it馃槙. Does the dealer have any liability/responsibility聽after a few weeks of ownership? Even if he'd make a contribution it would be good.聽