Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Surging EGR possible issue?

Tumble

Hi I'm really hoping somebody could help please.

I'm experiencing a slight miss effect occasionally pulling away and also when cruising at light throttle the car surges back and forth slightly, tried on cruise control and same effect.

Using forscan Ive observed the EGRP reading is virtually always at 0.00, it shows 9.04 on the over run and has on a couple of occasions blipped up to 12%

The EGR_PCT and EGRVPB1 both rise on the over run and on light throttle dropping to 0 on acceleration, though they don't move EXACTLY together. 

The EGRVPSV sits at 0.7v with ignition on engine off and rises and falls during driving.

What I'm concerned about is that when cruising the EGR_PCT and EGRVPB1 both continually rise and fall like a sweeping motion when viewing as dials, is this what is causing the surging or is the surging causing this? I don't know.

No mil but p1412 egr valve frozen (maturing) has come up but doesn't return after every days driving.

Ford just want to replace the EGR at a cost of £1145 (which they said might fix it!)

Sorry for the long post but as a lot of you are far more knowledgeable than ford dealers I'm hoping for some tips on what to do next.

2.2 tdci 200ps (euro 5) EGR behind engine, can't even see it let alone touch it.

Many thanks

• 1 month later...

Mine is a 2.0 litre TDCI but fitting an EGR blanking plate from e bay at £5 cost helped reduce my surging (fit myself easy to get to) don't know if there's one for yours, doesn't trip engine management lights or anything.

Try a Google search to see if the EGR location has been identified and then do some stripping. It will be in horrible condition and gummed up, if you can access try to remove and clean and also the inlet tract if it can be removed. This helped reduce the surging, then I used Wynns turbo cleaner and lubricator from Halfords ((£9) which seems to have sorted it, I suspect the boost was sticking or varying with a lag.