Do Not Sell My Personal Information

MK1 Focus problems - help!!!!!!

dominicthm

Hello,

Yesterday I picked up a x plate 1.8 Zetec focus, I was really pleased with it as it is very clean and has the bonus of the climate pack, however......

Whilst driving home from work the EML came on, it was the solid one not the flashing version.

The car was not running smoothly but wasn't too bad.

I had a look when I got home and looked for loose pipes as advised on this site, I found that the small pipe that goes from the back of the engine into the air filter box had come out of its socket on the air filter end, I replaced this which seemed to have the effect of making the car run worse.

I then disconnected the block with the wires in from the main air filter hose, magically the EML went out and the car ran really well for a couple of minutes but then badly again.

I have now replaced both bits and it is not running well.

I suspect the answer will be go to a garage, I know it hasn't been serviced recently.  Any ideas in the mean time or any ideas as the cause and the likely costs.

Many thanks.

4 hours ago, dominicthm said:

I then disconnected the block with the wires in from the main air filter hose, magically the EML went out and the car ran really well for a couple of minutes but then badly again.

Hi,

I am not sure if it is petrol or Diesel, I think the 1.8 could be either.

I think the connector just after the air filter will be the MAF (Air flow sensor), and sometimes, if this is faulty, disconnecting it makes the car run better. No MAF is better than a faulty one.

To have any real idea what the problem is will need a diagnostic scanner to read the stored codes (DTCs). Unfortunately, this car may pre-date the need for OBD2 compliance, which was 2001 for petrol and 2003 for Diesel. So a lot of generic OBD2 (or EOBD) scanners will not work with it.

You could try searching and asking for a compatible scanner. I am 95% sure that a system called FORscan, with a decent ELM327 adapter will work on all Mk1 Foci. You can get this for just £15 for the adapter, the software is free download. It works best on a windows laptop, but Android & iOS versions are available.

I can give more info on Forscan if you are interested, and there is plenty of info on this site & elsewhere. But without any DTCs or really firm, traceable symptoms, it could be any number of things.