Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mot and alloy wheels

mastersmithson

Hi all. My car is due for an MOT so changed one of the tyres. On the alloy I saw a small lip and wondered if this would fail the MOT? The guy at tyre place wasn't sure.

IMG_20170227_182615.jpg

IMG_20170227_182610.jpg

IMG_20170227_182613.jpg

At a guess I'd prob say it would.

Me personally if I had a wheel damaged like that, it'd be taken straight off and replaced.

• Like 1

It looks like it would but it would be up to the testers discretion - I personally would not like that wheel on my car incase the tyre suddenly let go. Have been a passenger in a car that suffered a blowout on a motorway  and we all had a brown pants moment.

• Like 1

Just one that matches the others - they will be readily available as they are standard Ford ones.

What has been covered up with that black stuff, if its signs of belts breaking in the side wall take it off the car now.

that will fail mot, have a look on eBay or local scrap yard for a pre-owned alloy :w00t:

eBay item number:122256057000

1 hour ago, andypsp said:

that will fail mot, have a look on ebay or local scrap yard for a pre-owned alloy :w00t:

eBay item number:122256057000

100% fail?

chances are yes fail, the tyre must have air leaking from it hence why all the black rubber paste slapped around the tyre wall and where the gash is in the alloy, what was the alloy like for the spare

i can't see any MOT tester passing that and i would not be happy to drive over 20mph with that on my car.

when you get another wheel check that it runs true, not buckled. it is quite common to find ones which are not running true at the back due to pot hole damage. the back of the wheel is much weaker as it does not have the spoke parts supporting it like it does on the front face

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, andypsp said:

chances are yes fail, the tyre must have air leaking from it hence why all the black rubber paste slapped around the tyre wall and where the gash is in the alloy, what was the alloy like for the spare

There was air bubbling through it when he changed it tonight yeah.... 

57 minutes ago, andypsp said:

eBay says it won't fit my car :-(

48 minutes ago, mastersmithson said:

eBay says it won't fit my car :-(

it`s the same alloy as what you have in your pics, but with the centre cap missing. have a look at the numbers on the alloy on eBay and compre them to what is on your current alloys, should be the same

i had a 2001 focus with those alloys on. the spare was not an alloy, it was a skinny spacesaver steel wheel

12 hours ago, mastersmithson said:

Hi all. My car is due for an MOT so changed one of the tyres. On the alloy I saw a small lip and wondered if this would fail the MOT? The guy at tyre place wasn't sure.

IMG_20170227_182615.jpg

IMG_20170227_182610.jpg

IMG_20170227_182613.jpg

That tyre and wheel is totally shagg*d, wouldn't drive around the block with that damage let alone the MOT station, I'll have a look around the internet as well.

• Like 1

good grief , the fact that the OP has to even ask whether this wheel is road worthy is most worrying.

its a miracle the tyre has remained inflated , you'd never get a new tyre fitted on it anyway as it wouldnt balance nor the bead seat properly.

the only thing worth keeping in those pictures is the valve cap lol.

im surprised the garage / tyre centre didnt tell you all this , at the very least suggest you fit your spare wheel instead.......

• Like 2

Family friend who owns a mechanic laughed when I showed him, he said just buy a new alloy for cheap on eBay, he wouldn't pass it. 

EDIT - For the sake of £20 - £30 by the looks of things on eBay just buy one with a tyre already on, the one that has been shown to you will be fine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Focus-Zetec-MK1-Alloy-Wheel-with-195-60-15-tyre-/132092583634?hash=item1ec154ded2:g:x3kAAOSw3v5Ynhv0

Edited by Ryan_Tango
Added linky dinky

Seriously???...I wouldn't even drive on onto my ramps to change the oil!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club