Do Not Sell My Personal Information

focus mk1 1.4 to 1.6 engine swap

sparkyork

hi all, had my focus for a couple of weeks now and contemplating having the cambelt and clutch done cheapish off a mate but still likely to be £400 plus. pretty much what i paid for the car, im also supposed to be getting another car in six months so not really wanting to be spending loads on this engine/car.

however on eBay i have found a complete 1.6 engine and gearbox from a mk1, with 75k miles. this is at a bargain price of £130 with all the starter and alternator still bolted on. asside from the benefit of not having to worry about doing a cambelt and clutch swap on a lower engine mileage (my 1.4 is at 123k at mo) im also liking the idea of an extra bit of oomph as i am finding the power to wieght ratio been similar to my old ford ka.

i read somewhere that the 1.6 is a direct bolt in swap with nothing to worry about ! can any one shed any light on this idea for me :-) 

cheers

rich

i have no idea if it is a straight swap. is the 1.6 already out of the car?  do you really want to go to all that trouble with an engine you have never seen running? is it guaranteed? but, if so, it won't include any labour cost in fitting/removing.  Do you have proof it has only done 75K? anyone can take an engine out of a car and claim it has only done xxx miles.

• Like 1

hi isetta, over on P@assion ford the general idea on the thread i looked at stated a straight swap, i can link if allowed to ? the complete engine and gearbox is out of the car and located about 40 miles away. i do get what your saying it could be more miles or it could be true, the way im looking at it is im gonna be spending £400 plus on this current 1.4 due to slipping clutch at high revs and cambelt preventative swap. plus ive got the idle issues sticking starter motor (done it twice) and most of the other common focus faults at this age of car. the labour doesnt bother me as id be doing it myself, the seller has stated it came from a car in good working order and all ran up to temperature etc. if the engine starts and runs and drives which it should then it should in theory save me £300 circa for 6 months worth of motoring (touching wood)

could well be getting there if it is 75k, i would certainly feel a little happier knowing its possibly 50k less miles and run it for a month or so then get it done. plus if the clutch doesnt slip then ill knock that job off the list aswell. i guess i could jump the starter off on this engine and at least make sure its not siezed but he seems very confident it was a good runner etc. might see if he can give at least a little gaurantee.

to me the only grey area is if it runs or not, but in the past ive bought and sold an st3 and st220 complete engine never knowing if they ran or not. this asside and if it plops straight in no bother seems like a cracking idea for a few days cursing fitting it. touching wood i might not need to do anything else whilst i have the car too (engine wise at least)

if i did go for it id defo try and get hold of the ecu but other than that it does sound doable, will have a look at my car to try and suss out eec4/5 stuff etc, unless anyone here has the knowledge to suss out whether the engine would marry up cable wise.

• 1 year later...

did you find out if it married in the end? would love to know if it is a straight swap

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club