Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heater/Blower only working on level 4/max?

Anderson

Hello all, so all of a sudden this afternoon my ford fiesta 2005 mk6 has stopped blowing completely on the settings between 1 and 3, on max (level 4) it works as normal but just not level 1-3. Any ideas what could cause this? Much appreciated.

The heater resistor pack has 'blown'. Offhand I can't remember it's position but I'm sure someone will come along and tell you where it is and how to replace it.

• Like 1

Yep...resistor pack.

Dirt cheap on eBay!

To find it from the drivers footwell - look/feel behind the centre console at about clutch pedal height.  It's a bit fiddly to get out (especially considering it's just a couple of screws).

If you're built like a gorilla, I would suggest finding someone smaller and more nimble lol

Last one I did resulted in me being upside down on the drivers seat becausr it was the only way I could get the chuffin' thing back in :laugh:

• Like 3

thanks for the replies guys, is this what I need ?

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-FIESTA-MK6-02-08-FOCUS-MK2-04-11-HEATER-RESISTOR-BLOWER-MOTOR-FAN-1325972-/322324101442?hash=item4b0c037942%3Ag%3AejYAAOSwXeJYJK9V&_trkparms=pageci%3A0f71594d-fda0-11e6-9558-74dbd180f6f6%7Cparentrq%3A843fcb1215a0a7850436a037ffe73ddd%7Ciid%3A3

do you guys think someone with low knowledge about cars could replace this? I'm guessing I need to take off that side panel of the drivers side footwell before I'll see the resistor? Because I only see one screw for the whole panel so far but I'll look again after work. Thanks again guys!

• Like 1

Yeah, that looks about right!!

It is possible to do it without removing any panels.  It's mounted on the firewall with the screw heads pointing out towards the pedals.  It is a bit tight getting in there - I've done it on a Fusion and a Mk6 Fiesta. 

Have a feel around, it's quite distinctive.  If you can get your head into the footwell you can see it with a torch.

In theory, it's a 10 minute job...a decent screwdriver and nimble fingers help...neither of which I had at the time of doing the 2 I did :laugh:

• Like 1

but but but, what causes it to blow is often a stiff heater fan motor. It is common for it to fail again if a stiff heater fan motor is not fixed.

Actually, based on my old Focus where it blew twice, it was a stiff fan motor and once that had been attended to (dismantled and oiled bearings and fixed the water leak that was allowing water into the bottom fan bearing) it did not blow again. But I never replaced the whole resistor pack, I soldered a new thermal fuse into the pack. It is normally the thermal fuse blowing and not the resistor coils. Easy to get a thermal fuse for hardly any money. But you need a good soldering iron. And you need to make sure you do not use a fuse of a higher rating otherwise you risk fire. A thermal fuse is rated by temperature, not by amps.  (and you need to make sure you do not blow the fuse from the heat of the soldering iron)

• Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 2:12 PM, isetta said:

but but but, what causes it to blow is often a stiff heater fan motor. It is common for it to fail again if a stiff heater fan motor is not fixed.

Actually, based on my old Focus where it blew twice, it was a stiff fan motor and once that had been attended to (dismantled and oiled bearings and fixed the water leak that was allowing water into the bottom fan bearing) it did not blow again. But I never replaced the whole resistor pack, I soldered a new thermal fuse into the pack. It is normally the thermal fuse blowing and not the resistor coils. Easy to get a thermal fuse for hardly any money. But you need a good soldering iron. And you need to make sure you do not use a fuse of a higher rating otherwise you risk fire. A thermal fuse is rated by temperature, not by amps.  (and you need to make sure you do not blow the fuse from the heat of the soldering iron)

If it blows again then I'll know something else is going on too, but no chance of me getting out a soldering iron and doing all that ^ ... I barely manage to get the screws out of this thing. My god, I can see what you guys mean about nimble hands e.t.c , jesus. Could it be in a worser place? nearly broke my neck being twisted up down there for so long, the top screw wouldnt come out..and its quite far back so it took AGES to get it out... the pedals were the nightmare though. RIGHT in the way, so you can't see what you're doing and have to navigate by touch. 

I did attempt to unscrew the side panel just incase I dropped a screw etc but the thing just kept turning but never actually unscrewing...so I gave up on that idea. But, it is finally out. now the replacement should come tomorrow/saturday and I can get this bad boy back online hopefully. 

• Like 1

Ohh yes...great fun isn't it?! :laugh:

The screws on the panel - black plastic by any chance?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2017 at 4:13 PM, SeanW said:

Ohh yes...great fun isn't it?! :laugh:

The screws on the panel - black plastic by any chance?

Yeah that thing did my head in lol, screws were indeed black plastic ones and it was even harder getting the <insert word of choice here> back in as a pose to out but can confirm until now, the heater is fine so far so I assume as this point it was just the resister pack and not the motor being stiff thankfully. Lord knows how much that'll cost...

The black plastic ones are a git!! The trick is to try and lift them slightly whilst unscrewing.  The plug bit is a pain!!  Reinstalled them is easy - just push them in

• 2 months later...

Just diagnosed and swapped out the resistor pack by following the comments on this forum and it worked a treat  - thanks to everyone for posting! Luckily I'm on the slim side so I was able to hang most of my body out of the door with my back across the sill. Still a proper pain to do though.

but did you note what I said above 

" what causes it to blow is often a stiff heater fan motor. It is common for it to fail again if a stiff heater fan motor is not fixed.

Actually, based on my old Focus where it blew twice, it was a stiff fan motor and once that had been attended to (dismantled and oiled bearings and fixed the water leak that was allowing water into the bottom fan bearing) it did not blow again."

they don't normally fail for no reason

On 7/10/2017 at 6:43 PM, isetta said:

" what causes it to blow is often a stiff heater fan motor. It is common for it to fail again if a stiff heater fan motor is not fixed.

Actually, based on my old Focus where it blew twice, it was a stiff fan motor and once that had been attended to (dismantled and oiled bearings and fixed the water leak that was allowing water into the bottom fan bearing) it did not blow again."

Hello, yes I noted what you said. Given the cost of the pack (very cheap) I figured I would replace this first, see if it blows again and have the blower and all that side looked at by a garage. I could not begin to do anything with the blower myself , and thus the cost of having that repaired/replaced would be far higher than just replacing the resister pack. I can confirm however, 5months on (touch wood) all is so far. I assumed based on what you said, the pack would of blown pretty quick after replacing it? but reading your comment now, perhaps it can take awhile I'm not sure. Right now though, things are still okay so far. If it does go , I will certainly get the blower looked at. I must admit, I'm on the verge of selling this car anyway. I feel like everything is falling a part these days, I've replaced so much now from clutch to coolant pipes - I know these are wear and tear items but its almost every week something else has gone lol.

I'm now debating on whether to maybe get a focus perhaps, I've had a Mondeo and I really enjoyed the smooth and quietness of it but the repair work can be quite high, especially a clutch. I was quoted from £900-2000, my fiesta was done for £230. Based on that, it makes me want to get a new fiesta, but I really want something a bit bigger. :D

• 3 months later...

Thanks to you guys I have located the blower resistor and managed to fumble my way through to taking screws out, I’m wondering if I need to prize the damn thing out with a screw driver or can I just pull? ***** finger nails just won’t let me grip properly :0/  it’s a stubborn bugger :0o helppppp ... I’m feeling a  feeble female :0(  

• 1 year later...

Hi I got a problem with my car the heater blower start to blow on level 4 what can be a problem 

• 8 months later...
On 2/28/2017 at 2:12 PM, isetta said:

do you remember what rating the thermal fuse is please ???

Sorry I have no idea, I really can’t remember at all. 

• 2 years later...

Aha! I think this is what's wrong with my 65 reg fiesta... I'm hoping that this can be fixed at a normal garage & not at a ford dealership? Cos I'm not gonna attempt this!! Lol 

• 1 month later...

Hi 

do you know what water pipe was leaking on the fan bearing 

thanks