Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Brake disc issue in new car

redrabbit

Two weeks ago I bought a 64 plate Ford Focus mk3.5 which has 22000  miles on the clock.

It was bought from an official Seat/Mazda dealership which is based around 200 miles from where I live - so I can't just pop back there.  When I bought the car the salesman said the car went through their "50 point check" or whatever it was called and that during this they noticed the brake PADS were in bad condition, so they've been changed.  I bought the car and all is good so far.

The car only came with one key so yesterday I went to Ford by appointment and the key was made.  They also do a physical check of the car - which they send you a video of.  Pretty cool.

During the physical cheque they gave the car an amber warning for brake DISCS.  They said the pads are new, but that at some point it's run metal-on-metal so the inner part of the brake pads at the front are badly scored and ideally need replaced. 

Where do I stand?

They salesman wasn't at all open and honest about the one car key.  In fact I only noticed as we were sorting out paperwork and he said "Right, here's the key..." and I then said "Oh... where's the other?"  and he got all funny and said "This particular car only has the one" - as if it's supposed to be like that.  

Now I feel that the official seat/mazda used car salesman has shown a lack of integrity by KNOWINGLY selling the car with damaged brake discs which should be replaced.  

I did not get a copy nor did I ask for a copy of the "50 point check" report - it just never occurred to me to ask anymore about it.

Is this a good plan:

I will NOT phone the people, but will send an email or maybe recorded letter.

I will tell them what's happened and say that I am considering taking legal advice and request payment for the repairs to be made.  

Thanks everyone,

Redrabbit

I would recommend contacting trading standards or see what advice they give on line.  A reputable dealer would gladly have your car in to check the problem, bit of a no go if you live 200 miles away.  Hopefully Ford gave you a written report and / or the video of their inspection.  Bear in mind though that your vehicle may of been a trade in and the original owner lost the spare key.  Also it may be possible that Ford are touting for business. Good luck.

if the discs are that bad then the ford dealer should have noted it as a red item that needs changing now. 

as they deem it an amber item the discs cant be that bad and is serviceable at present and in the next few months at least, having the video or a photo of the discs posted up would have enabled us to give a judgement on condition. 

Thanks guys. 

I have video and will post tomorrow when I'm at a computer. 

I didn't get the impression they were touting for business but who knows. 

The previous owner did lose the key and so dealer (after quite a heated discussion) did knock £170 off for that. 

I will give trading standard a call too 

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club