Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ford Fiesta Suspension noise

Jamesb9811

Hi, I have already posted about this issue but I have a 2015 Fiesta zetec with almost 10,000 miles. I have owned the car only a month and a few days after buying it it developed a sort of squeak from underneath when going over speed bumps. The higher the speed bump the louder the noise. It also seems to do it when the car has been sitting for a while for example when it's been sitting all night and I go to work in the morning the noise is very loud but once the car has warmed up and has been driven the noise almost disappears and you really have to listen to know it's there. The noise went away for a while so I thought maybe it had gone completely but it has started to get cold again and the noise is back and louder than before. It has already been in to get looked at and they can't tell me what's wrong with it and I'm beginning to give up. Wish I had just kept my mk2 Focus as this fiesta is more trouble than it's worth. I had recorded it making the sound but it won't seem to let me upload it. 

• Like 1

Do you hear a clicking/grinding noise when parking/turning at slow speeds after going over a speedbump?

Not that I'm aware of no. Just really when I go over a speed bump. It's a horrible noise though and it's like the squeaking of rubber 

Never really looked under our fiesta to see what the set up is like but all cars have an anti-roll bar and it may well be the bushes that are clamped around the bar, the twisting movement of the bar might be causing the noise as you go over the ramps.

• Like 1

I've read that it could be the bushes, what I don't understand is that there clearly is something not right but when I took it back to where I bought it from and they looked at it they told me they couldn't see anything wrong and that the underneath of the car looked fine but then they might not have been looking in the right place. Would suspension bushes be expensive to replace? 

1 hour ago, Jamesb9811 said:

Not that I'm aware of no. Just really when I go over a speed bump. It's a horrible noise though and it's like the squeaking of rubber 

Not the same issue as me then, I get a similar noise going over speed bumps, but the big concern was clicking/grinding at low speed.  Had both front mounts done and still have the issue :( 

The whole reason I got rid of my Focus was because it was getting old and things were starting to go wrong with it. and I buy a not even 2 year old car and it's already needing fixed. Suppose these things happen but it still wouldn't put me off fords, wouldn't have any other car.

I had exactly the same problem and it turned out to be the D bushes on the anti roll bar.   Replaced them and the noise disappeared.

• Like 1

Wonder if spraying a special rubber spray at the edge of the rubber/metal may reduce the noise ?

I've used this stuff for a few years now and it contains no silicone's,  made for rubber throughout the car, it stops perishing of door seals, stops door seals from sticking & squeaking, the product actually soaks into rubber so doesn't end up being a mess as dust can't stick to it.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genuine-Wurth-Gummi-Pflege-Rubber-Care-Aerosol-Spray-2-x-300ml-/252042958512?hash=item3aaeee56b0:g:XSIAAOSwo4pYeMHu

On 01/03/2017 at 10:31 PM, Jamesb9811 said:

I get this on my '13 fiesta too. Only when its cold though... if its more than about 5oC or I've driven the car for more than 5 mins then no squeaking. I just assumed it was because the car was cold and stiff.

Just out of interest my Fiesta is a 10 plate and had it since brand new, only has 36,000 miles on the clock and never had a problem with the anti-roll bar bushes.

Could the Ford manufacturing contractor have made dodgy batch of inferior bushes ? I know newer cars are better looking but quality of parts is on the decline and told this by a local dealership.

I am part of the squeaky-suspension club too.. 2014 Fiesta 1.0.
Last winter the dealer lubricated some parts in the back from where the noise came from.. after a couple of days the noise disappeared fully. But this winter it is back again.
I don't know what parts they lubricated, but it seems to have worked for around half a year until it came back.

13 hours ago, Adspam said:

I get this on my '13 fiesta too. Only when its cold though... if its more than about 5oC or I've driven the car for more than 5 mins then no squeaking. I just assumed it was because the car was cold and stiff.

I'm exactly the same as you. I took it in to a garage to get it looked at again and they couldn't replicate the noise because the car had warmed up and told me without hearing it they'd be guessing what it could be which is fair enough. They lubricated absolutely everything they could and the noise is away so hopefully that's solved it 

• Like 1

I mean it's nothing to scream and shout about, I know these things happen but it's just so annoying to hear lol 

5 hours ago, Jamesb9811 said:

I'm exactly the same as you. I took it in to a garage to get it looked at again and they couldn't replicate the noise because the car had warmed up and told me without hearing it they'd be guessing what it could be which is fair enough. They lubricated absolutely everything they could and the noise is away so hopefully that's solved it 

Did they give a brief mention of what bits they lubed? I'm keen to get mine a bit quieter too :)

They didn't mention but I was too soon to speak. The noise is still there but is better as in it does it once then goes away 

My 63plate titanium does it as well, only when cold, every morning when I leave for work I have to go over speed bumps and it does it every time, might get some of that spray and spray the bushes up and see what happens. 

• Like 1

My '14 Zetec does it too, particularly when cold.  Has just over 12k miles on it so not related to mileage.  I DO however have to go over at least 4 speed bumps every time I go out in the car.  Never thought anything of it to be honest.

• Like 1

I have also managed to contract this problem just after it had been in for a service, sounds very much like its coming from either the suspension, rear axle area or anti roll bar when me and my partner investigated. Speed bumps were the main reason I noticed and over the recent weeks and its just got worse. I have a 64 plate M7.5 Fiesta ZS and she's currently booked in at a ford dealer for this issue fixing under warranty, glad it didn't happen just after end of this year though or else warranty would have run out :S. Ill be back to report the findings of the employees of Skipton Ford now that I've found this thread. Been looking everywhere for answers for this!!

8 minutes ago, EmmaKitkat27 said:

I have also managed to contract this problem just after it had been in for a service, sounds very much like its coming from either the suspension, rear axle area or anti roll bar when me and my partner investigated. Speed bumps were the main reason I noticed and over the recent weeks and its just got worse. I have a 64 plate M7.5 Fiesta ZS and she's currently booked in at a ford dealer for this issue fixing under warranty, glad it didn't happen just after end of this year though or else warranty would have run out :S. Ill be back to report the findings of the employees of Skipton Ford now that I've found this thread. Been looking everywhere for answers for this!!

Get them to check the D bushes on the anti-roll bars.

• Like 1

Just now, Bobr said:

I sure will. Its definitely around that area and if its been a problem for others it'll be the right place to send them looking. Cheers :)

• 6 months later...

Out of curiosity my noise has came back after about 4 months presumably due to the cold weather. Did you ever manage to get it fixed as I’m going to get mine booked in to ford to get looked at 

• 2 months later...
On 09/03/2017 at 10:23 PM, Bobr said:

Thought I’d just give an update. Car went into ford last week and right enough it needs new anti roll bar bushes so it’s booked in for Thursday to get them replaced and hopefully that should be the problem cured. Dealership was great and the problem was found quite quick. Thank you for mentioning it as that’s the first thing I said to them when I went in to check the bushes.

I have this same problem, are these easy to change yourself/diy?

Following this as my wife has exactly the same issue, with all the posts about it, seems to be a common issue.