Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Disappointing xenon lights - MK3

Kevh17

I have a MK3 Focus Titanium X and i'm a little disappointed with the output of the xenon headlights. They seem fairly bright but the range doesn't shine much further, if any, than cars I've had with halogen headlights. Our drive is between the garage and side of the house and the cut off to the passenger side seems fairly straight with a slight tilt downwards but I suppose it would be hard to tell if they're correct without properly measuring them. 

It's getting close to being 6 years old now so I suppose they could also not be working as they once were.

Anyone else had problems with these and what was the solution?

Thanks

Quote from this Wikipedia article : " Brand new high-intensity discharge lamps make more visible light per unit of electric power consumed than fluorescent and incandescent lamps, since a greater proportion of their radiation is visible light in contrast to infrared. However, the lumen output of HID lighting can deteriorate by up to 70% over 10,000 burning hours. "

Whilst yours may not have been used for as long as that it's clear that their light output reduces over time so maybe it's time for replacement.

I've been waiting for a while to see if any discount codes are available or they're in the sale but still the same price. Over £100 for a new pair isn't cheap but you're probably right

Incandescent bulbs also deteriorate over time, the high temp of the filament means that atoms of the metal "boil off" and deposit on the inside of the glass...  

Something else to consider is what bulbs are in there, if the previous owner slapped in some 6000k bulbs then they will look really bright and very white but are utterly useless for seeing things.  Factory fitted Xenon bulbs tend to be around the 4500k mark, which gives them a white appearance but casts a white-yellowish beam, which is significantly better for seeing anything in the dark.

1 hour ago, Guzzilazz said:

Incandescent bulbs also deteriorate over time, the high temp of the filament means that atoms of the metal "boil off" and deposit on the inside of the glass

This is true for ordinary filament lamps but halogen lamps are designed to redeposit the evaporated tungsten onto the filament, see here.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dee_82 said:

Something else to consider is what bulbs are in there, if the previous owner slapped in some 6000k bulbs then they will look really bright and very white but are utterly useless for seeing things.  Factory fitted Xenon bulbs tend to be around the 4500k mark, which gives them a white appearance but casts a white-yellowish beam, which is significantly better for seeing anything in the dark.

I think an older couple owned it before us - only 21k miles in 4 and a bit years - so probably just standard bulbs. They look like standard xenons when on

• 4 years later...

Hello,

I bought my son a 2013 Focus Titanium X, it has high mileage though I e 130k.  The headlight are blue when initially turned on and then go white, I can hardly see the light from them when driving, they are that bad.

A) Does this car have Zenon Lights ?

B) Would this be normal and it's time to replace the bulbs ?

C) What type of bulbs do I need please and are they easy to fit ?

Thank you

2 hours ago, Nightowl1 said:

Hello,

I bought my son a 2013 Focus Titanium X, it has high mileage though I e 130k.  The headlight are blue when initially turned on and then go white, I can hardly see the light from them when driving, they are that bad.

A) Does this car have Zenon Lights ?

B) Would this be normal and it's time to replace the bulbs ?

C) What type of bulbs do I need please and are they easy to fit ?

Thank you

Most likely your projectors reflective material has disappeared. Should be shiny chrome inside, but with age they corrode and go black- massively reducing the light output. Your car definitely has Xenons, my old MK3 Titanium X and my current MK2 ST both had to have the projectors re-chromed (though not under my ownership).

1 hour ago, dtulip8 said:

Most likely your projectors reflective material has disappeared. Should be shiny chrome inside, but with age they corrode and go black- massively reducing the light output. Your car definitely has Xenons, my old MK3 Titanium X and my current MK2 ST both had to have the projectors re-chromed (though not under my ownership).

Thank you dtulip8, I will check them out.

unfortunately ure not going to improve the output by anything noticable.  i was/ am also disapointed with the output.  i changed the old ds3 bulbs that were fitted with osrsm ds3 nightbreaker laser. claims of up to 200 per cent brighter etc.  absolute rubbish.  marginally better i suppose than original s. cost me over 150 pounds.  could have got originals for about 70. nothing wrong with my relectors either.  its just they seem crap headlamps. i do a lot of night time driving and absolutely love it when iv got a car with decent headlights near me so they can light the road up for me.

well.  i also have a 62 plate titanium x with the oem xenon headlamps on dipped beam.  i have just looked at HIDS-DIRECT and they now do a replacement for the d3s xenon bulb.  its a led d3s bulb. a direct replacement. no additional wiring  .just a ug and play job. 74 pounds for the 2 bulbs. claims to be fully compliant with the focus canbus system with no errors.  i shall hopefully be purchasing some soon .i have tried other xenon bulbs with id say no difference between the standard bulb and the top of the range up to 200 percent more light on the road claims.  id suggest you mayb look into this as well.

42 minutes ago, michaelburrows said:

well.  i also have a 62 plate titanium x with the oem xenon headlamps on dipped beam.  i have just looked at HIDS-DIRECT and they now do a replacement for the d3s xenon bulb.  its a led d3s bulb. a direct replacement. no additional wiring  .just a ug and play job. 74 pounds for the 2 bulbs. claims to be fully compliant with the focus canbus system with no errors.  i shall hopefully be purchasing some soon .i have tried other xenon bulbs with id say no difference between the standard bulb and the top of the range up to 200 percent more light on the road claims.  id suggest you mayb look into this as well.

Hello,. The lights are so poor with normal headlights on mine I have to switch on the fog lights / spot lights just to see, I notice they are blueish / white though, so I am thinking someone has changed them.  I was going to get some 4500 or 6000k from Facebook for £35 a pair but worried about getting bulb out without breaking headlight unit.  Please tell me how you get on replacing yours as I will certainly go down same route if you are happy and manage to get bulbs out without breaking unit :).  It's my son's car and he will return from uni for weekend 29/30 so either way I need to sort that weekend with something.

Thank you

its not so hard to remove the bulbs.  first remove headlamps.  only 2 screws.  then remove the rubber bung hiding the bulbs. the bulb can now be seen.  there is a black plastic clip the holds bulb in place. its sort of three quarters round.  .this has to be turned aboit 15 mm anti clockwise to release bulb from its position. then unplug bulb and pull it out.  the plastic clip then has to be refiited to the new bulb and then refitted . same as removal but tirn clip 15mm clockwise this time to lock bulb into position.. you can find a small selection of vids on you tube showing you this also.

1 hour ago, michaelburrows said:

its not so hard to remove the bulbs.  first remove headlamps.  only 2 screws.  then remove the rubber bung hiding the bulbs. the bulb can now be seen.  there is a black plastic clip the holds bulb in place. its sort of three quarters round.  .this has to be turned aboit 15 mm anti clockwise to release bulb from its position. then unplug bulb and pull it out.  the plastic clip then has to be refiited to the new bulb and then refitted . same as removal but tirn clip 15mm clockwise this time to lock bulb into position.. you can find a small selection of vids on you tube showing you this also.

Thank you michaelburrows, I guess the question now who who is going to order and fit the bulbs first to see if any good, bit of an investment but if you have not done so by early next week, I will and fit the weekend son comes home and post results 🙂

Hello, I can see 2 bulbs.  Is the top one the correct direct replacement ?

https://www.hids-direct.co.uk/categories/led-projector-lights/led-bulbs-oem/d3s-led

P.s I would advise buy these from amazon as they are £75.95 (including prime delivery)

Thank you

i gather that is the correct bulb.  i would contact hids direct to confirm.   iv had a few emails bouncing back and forth. theres a couple of different outputs.  the one you show is the slightly higher output and the one suggested better in the email.  i certainly wont have done it this month for sure so i look foreward to youre verdicts.   gud luck

• Like 1

Changing the bulbs will make almost no difference if the reflectors are knackered. You really need to take the headlight apart to check if yours are burnt out.

8 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Changing the bulbs will make almost no difference if the reflectors are knackered. You really need to take the headlight apart to check if yours are burnt out.

Hello dtulip8,

Can you explain this a bit more please as I don't understand what I am checking, all I see was light coming from something that sits in a reflector, are you saying what I need to do is take headlamp out, take bulb out and look to see if inside is still all silver or it has turned black or something ?

Thank you

39 minutes ago, Nightowl1 said:

Hello dtulip8,

Can you explain this a bit more please as I don't understand what I am checking, all I see was light coming from something that sits in a reflector, are you saying what I need to do is take headlamp out, take bulb out and look to see if inside is still all silver or it has turned black or something ?

Thank you

Take the bulb out, and look inside the area it sits. It should have a silver, reflective coating. Often, this burns away over time and leaves it looking black- lowering the light output to what you have now.

48 minutes ago, dtulip8 said:

Take the bulb out, and look inside the area it sits. It should have a silver, reflective coating. Often, this burns away over time and leaves it looking black- lowering the light output to what you have now.

Thank you, when I see it next I will check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update, I had the car for about 1 day, took bulb out, inside looked ok but such a small hole to check, cannot be certain.  I bought the led lights from amazon mentioned above, this seems to have made big difference, they only sell them in 6000k so white light.  I tested by using my Mondeo Vs the Focus for range, seems to be about the same now, so good.  I tried to adjust drivers side beam as I can see it's lower than left, but when you adjust up, the left automatically adjusts up also, so don't think you can adjust individualy.

Did not have the car long anough to send pictures, sorry.

thats great news.  which leds did you eventually purchase. i assume they havnt thrown up any errors as you havnt mentioned it.  i will have to follow in youre footsteps now.  well done for getting old osrams out. they can be a bit tight.

i assume you tried adjusting by turning the hexagonal fitting behind the headlamp about 5 inches down. its a white coloured 7mm i think hexagonal which you turn clockwise to raise and anti clockwise to lower. not sure if the self leveling just puts em back again but thats where folks say you can adjust.  

1 hour ago, michaelburrows said:

i assume you tried adjusting by turning the hexagonal fitting behind the headlamp about 5 inches down. its a white coloured 7mm i think hexagonal which you turn clockwise to raise and anti clockwise to lower. not sure if the self leveling just puts em back again but thats where folks say you can adjust.  

Hi, the ones I ordered were the below, ordered from amazon as at least can send back if not happy.  I did not have issue getting bulb out as someone had been their before me and they were loose, had some cheap £17 for 2 bulbs in their from eBay.  I.e try googling B915 Auto Safety HID .  I did use the hex screw which was yellow on mine, I could see it adjusting up / down etc but the other light auto adjusted to what ever I did with the other.  No errors seen, if you have more time than I did, please take before and after pictures in the dark so others can see the difference.  Advise order from amazon and then if not happy, just send back.

D-Series D3S 9000LM 6000K 12 V OEM LED Car Headlight bulbs (2 Lamps) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09BVZ9C98/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_i_20G59H4STWBDF62MAF14?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Hope it helps

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club